+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: End of an era?

End of an era?

I don't know - you go off the radar for a couple of months then, when you resurface, Rotherham have won one game in six and relegation is more or less inevitable. All right, it was painfully close in the end (painfully, there's a good adverb for Rotherham supporters) but final tables do not lie: had Wednesday not been deducted 6 points we would be bottom of the Championship - again- the worst team in the division. Should Paul Warne resign? I certainly think he should offer his resignation but would Tony Stewart want to accept it? Could we afford anyone better than Warne? And even if he is an inexperienced one-club manager at least we know his heart is in the right place. But then so was Frank Lampard's at Chelsea and Chris Wilder's at Sheff Utd and it didn't save them. On the other hand we could get another Mr Jackett so on balance I think we should give Warney a season to get us up and if he fails then Thank You but we think it's time for a change. (I bet Uncle Neil would have kept us up)

How’s about blaming the chairman for not backing warne .

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    How’s about blaming the chairman for not backing warne .
    You ungrateful bar steward

Most good businesses invest wisely in the project to improve it.Once again we missed that opportunity, when the manager wanted to bring in a player in the January window he was not allowed.We were so very close to retaining Championship status.The club must be more progressive and give the financial support or there will be no future at the NYS.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    Most good businesses invest wisely in the project to improve it.Once again we missed that opportunity, when the manager wanted to bring in a player in the January window he was not allowed.We were so very close to retaining Championship status.The club must be more progressive and give the financial support or there will be no future at the NYS.
    The purpose of 'investing' is generally to achieve a return. The majority of football club owners don't achieve a monetary return - what they 'invest' would better be described as a subsidy.

If supporters don't feel that Tony Stewart isn't putting his hand deep enough into his pocket, why don't they do something about it? Offer to pay extra for their season tickets or forgo a holiday to donate?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The purpose of 'investing' is generally to achieve a return. The majority of football club owners don't achieve a monetary return - what they 'invest' would better be described as a subsidy.

If supporters don't feel that Tony Stewart isn't putting his hand deep enough into his pocket, why don't they do something about it? Offer to pay extra for their season tickets or forgo a holiday to donate?
    This is just stupid. I just don't understand why supporters from the far left to the crazy right all leap to defend our beloved leader. Stewart gets the kudos. Ordinary fans on MM don't. Stewart's property company gets an excellent return on investment in NYS. Ordinary fans on MM don't. The guy may be a great light bulb maker. Personally I don't give a flying frick. But as chairman of a football club he's useless. His corner shop mentality has seen us blow yet another opportunity. I've been watching the Millers since 1965 and I just don't see all this praise for Stewart is justified. I've watched better players, more entertaining teams, and had more excitement as a Miller on many many occasions than I have experienced under Stewart and Warne's dead hand. I just don't understand you lads. Next thing you'll be flying a giant blimp and voting him in as mayor. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    This is just stupid. I just don't understand why supporters from the far left to the crazy right all leap to defend our beloved leader. Stewart gets the kudos. Ordinary fans on MM don't. Stewart's property company gets an excellent return on investment in NYS. Ordinary fans on MM don't. The guy may be a great light bulb maker. Personally I don't give a flying frick. But as chairman of a football club he's useless. His corner shop mentality has seen us blow yet another opportunity. I've been watching the Millers since 1965 and I just don't see all this praise for Stewart is justified. I've watched better players, more entertaining teams, and had more excitement as a Miller on many many occasions than I have experienced under Stewart and Warne's dead hand. I just don't understand you lads. Next thing you'll be flying a giant blimp and voting him in as mayor. Pathetic.
    Wendun, you need to understand that your posts neither shock nor impress most posters. Ok, one or two rise to it, but the majority flick through your stuff and move on.

What return is Stewart making from the club? The accounts are out there on the web and so you should be able to give hard figures. The fact is that the club loses money and he covers those losses by various means.

He chooses to do that and gets a fair bit of stick because he has limits to the amount that he is willing to put in. It's fair to say that he gets a bit of kudos too, but it is very expensive kudos.

KerrAvon, good afternoon. I'm sorry fella but there you go spouting again about why don't fans put 'their' hands in 'their' pockets. Football is watched and paid for by the working class, the man/woman who get by on week to week wages, have a mortgage and probably a young family to bring up.

Chairmen take over football clubs because they are middle/upper class in the Millionaire bracket by which ever means they made their money. Nobody made them take over a club they chose to do it so, on that basis they are solely responsible for maintaining and investing in their club if they want to see progression so, stop this flipping the coin onto the average working class fan to chip in, it's utter nonsense and you know it. I suspect you are a very close personal friend of Tony Stewart hence your loyalty towards him in his defence when fans point out the obvious where, you have to speculate to accumulate.

As for paying for an increase on S/T's I'm all for it, as we have had a good run of no increase for many a year. Thing is there will be cries of 'but we're in league 1 next season so no to an increase' and we all know who to look to as to why we've possibly ended up there, don't we
    Last edited by Brin; 09-05-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    KerrAvon, good afternoon. I'm sorry fella but there you go spouting again about why don't fans put 'their' hands in 'their' pockets. Football is watched and paid for by the working class, the man/woman who get by on week to week wages, have a mortgage and probably a young family to bring up.

Chairmen take over football clubs because they are middle/upper class in the Millionaire bracket by which ever means they made their money. Nobody made them take over a club they chose to do it so, on that basis they are solely responsible for maintaining and investing in their club if they want to see progression so, stop this flipping the coin onto the average working class fan to chip in, it's utter nonsense and you know it. I suspect you are a very close personal friend of Tony Stewart hence your loyalty towards him in his defence when fans point out the obvious where, you have to speculate to accumulate.
    So what you are saying is that supporters put some money into the club, but that they are constrained by their resources and their judgement as to how much to put in? That is perfectly fair and reasonable.

It is also perfectly fair and reasonable for football club owners to make a similar judgements about how much of their wealth they are willing to put in.

If Stewart were a fly by night of the types that, say, ran Bury into the ground then the 'he needs to 'invest' more' brigade might have a point. But he isn't and they don't

So what you are saying is that supporters put some money into the club, but that they are constrained by their resources and their judgement as to how much to put in? That is perfectly fair and reasonable.

It is also perfectly fair and reasonable for football club owners to make a similar judgements about how much of their wealth they are willing to put in.

If Stewart were a fly by night of the types that, say, ran Bury into the ground then the 'he needs to 'invest' more' brigade might have a point. But he isn't and they don't
    Not a very strong or justifiable reply that. You are right in that it's all down to what Stewart wants to put in but boy as he just shot himself in the foot to the tune of £5 Million + for not investing that bit extra in January.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast