+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ST Johnstone

ST Johnstone

Difference between St Johnstone and Dundee, getting your choice of managers right.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    Difference between St Johnstone and Dundee, getting your choice of managers right.
    And they take both cups very seriously.

Our fans want to win a cup but when draw is made there is an air of apathy, defeatism or meh leagues more important.

I doubt very much we can ever get higher than our best ever premier league finish 5th.....to me coming 5th or lifting a cup there's just no comparison.

We make excuses for our appalling cup record.....there's none.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    And they take both cups very seriously.

Our fans want to win a cup but when draw is made there is an air of apathy, defeatism or meh leagues more important.

I doubt very much we can ever get higher than our best ever premier league finish 5th.....to me coming 5th or lifting a cup there's just no comparison.

We make excuses for our appalling cup record.....there's none.
    You are right on all counts,
    Under Hartley, the number of times we were knocked out of cups in the first round from lower league teams, and also the loss of extra revenue.
    If you are in the top league, you only need to win five games to win the cup.
    Mind you, look at Hibs, a bigger club than Dundee, look how long it took them ! Although I fancy them to lift the cup this year.
    For many Dundee fans of my age, the clock is ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    It’s not just the manager.

The entire club seems to not be interested in cups, and for a club like us what else is there? I’m baffled by our lack of fight or care about cups year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post

The entire club seems to not be interested in cups, and for a club like us what else is there? I’m baffled by our lack of fight or care about cups year after year.
    This is a throw back, I think, to the days when ST holders got to go to the first round, and maybe second round ties as part of their ST. When they took that perk away, and I don't think it was decision made by the DFC board, I think there was resentment and fans didn't bother about the early rounds and a downward spiral began.

It is obvious that the extra ties can be money spinners in the later stages and I think we should try much harder in both Cup competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post

If it's not about those very small moments (time frames) of glory .....what's it about.

This is now a golden period for st j football club. There can't be many provincial clubs who have held both cups at the same time....we came close, Aberdeen?....can't remember.

It will stay with their support a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    This is a throw back, I think, to the days when ST holders got to go to the first round, and maybe second round ties as part of their ST. When they took that perk away, and I don't think it was decision made by the DFC board, I think there was resentment and fans didn't bother about the early rounds and a downward spiral began.

It is obvious that the extra ties can be money spinners in the later stages and I think we should try much harder in both Cup competitions.
    I don't even see it about money b cram......I honestly as a supporter value a cup final far far far more than mid table top division (7th to 10th).

I know consistent decent finishes like killie and Mwell help build stability and a base for cup runs but it's seeing the possibility of a dundee captain lift another trophy at Hampden that keeps me interested.

If Celtic and rangers still make a go of winning the cups I don't see why the biggest trophies we can win should be shrugged off by club (Not so much this year) and worse fans.

Us and falkirk after that every semi serious club in Scotland has had a go.....maybe Accies if you count them as serious.

Finals 73, 80, 93, 2003......it's just not good enough.

What could supporters do to get this message across.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    What could supporters do to get this message across.
    Turn up, especially for home ties.

The Motherwell game a couple of years back was an embarrassment.

We are guarnteed at least two home games in the cup, the club could maybe offer an add on to season ticket....optional....league only league and cup.

It looks to me like fans can't be arsed with games we should win comfortably or apathetic to games like well that we will probably lose......especially if they have to go to all the bother of getting a ticket etc.

It's actually quite difficult to work out what the fans want from the cups......everyone says "decent cup runs".....but cup runs begin in the 1st round, not the semi or a derby quarter final.

There seems to be no belief in the club that we can regularly get to quarters or semis......we are talking about winning 3 or 4 games on the trot for God sake that can't be beyond our capability, especially if we can get established in the top division.

Celtic and rangers don't always get to the final , not been that many old firm finals in my lifetime.

I'm so jealous of ****ing st Johnstone.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)