+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Millers history shows it would be lunacy to dismiss Paul Warne

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    I'm now firmly in the PW to stay camp, as long as he still believes in himself and the project. He needs to develop and do some things better, as do all the staff, players and board. They'll never be perfect however but we could do a lot worse. I sincerely hope that he gets the correct backing in the transfer market that his pedigree in this division deserves. We need to do better and we can. UTM!
    Agree 100%,we must keep Warney but Tony must give him the financial support. By keeping most of this talented squad I believe we can make an immediate return and PW is the man to lead us to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    clarkey you beat me to it, they kept us up where as Warne has taken us straight back down! Having said that, I personally want Warne at the helm at the start of next season but and it's a big but, if we retain the majority of the current team and aren't showing any progress come Xmas then his position needs reviewing asap.
    Curiously Brin, 3 managers who managed a relegation (not necessarily with much blame) but no promotion, went on to manage bigger clubs. These are Tommy Docherty, Mark Robins and Alan Knill (OK, he was only "Assistant Manager" but it was in the Premier League).

I agree, getting rid of Paul Warne would be throwing the baby out with the bath water

But something has got to change

Same old, same old, isn’t an option

Quote Originally Posted by vaterland_miller View Post
    Other than Paul Warne, only Billy McEwan has managed the club through both promotion and relegation - in both cases between 3rd and 4th tier.

It looks like all the promotion managers either left for a "better" job (Ian Porterfield and Steve Evans) or left (either voluntarily or otherwise) before we were relegated. That fact, in itself, says something about Paul Warne.
    Evans didnt leave for a better job. His contract was terminated by mutual consent. Ill not post the reason it came to that on here in order to protect the innocent.

A really big issue for me is the standard of football. Im certain warne will be here next season and i hope and pray he adopts a less agricultural style. 🤞

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    Evans didnt leave for a better job. His contract was terminated by mutual consent. Ill not post the reason it came to that on here in order to protect the innocent.
    Fair enough Grumpy but he did end up managing Leeds.

Steve Evans did an amazing job keeping us up for our first season in the Championship after his promotion but it certainly looked like he wasn't happy to have a go at keeping us up for the following season - many of us might speculate that could have been something to do with Tony Stewart not being willing to provide the financial support he asked for. Paul Warne is willing to work with whatever resources he is given and this season he was very close to success in spite of all the unusual obstacles that he had to try to overcome.

TS has already said his job is safe so dismissed isn’t happening

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    TS has already said his job is safe so dismissed isn’t happening
    Yes indeed he has.
    PW has also said he will always see himself wanting to Manage this great club in the last few days

So it's a case of whether Tony or Paul change their minds after yesterday's event or if PW gets a better offer

PW is the best option for the Millers whilst ever he's up for the fight. He's not perfect and he keeps making mistakes. I'm not bothered of he makes the wrong subs or starts with the wrong formation. I'm not that bothered if the starting 11 are not right as all the above are opinions.
    What I want him to do is be more brave. Give other teams respect but let them worry about us more than us worrying about them. I think the budget dictates the players we get and for the money the squad he has accumulated are pretty good. If he Keeps the main squad together (doubt it) then 4 more quality additions to build for another promotion

It would be lunacy to sack him because he's a good League One manager.

There would be a case to let him go if we managed to get into the Championship again though because he's shown he can't keep the team in that division with that budget, maybe with a bigger budget at another team he could.

Good opening post v_m

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast