+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Moments As An Albion Fan?

Your Best Moments As An Albion Fan?

Beating Forest 2-0 to get to the 78 FA Cup semi final, Forest were about 38 matches unbeaten at that point.

Beating Leeds 2-0 in 83 to keep us up and virtually relegate them and the riot that followed will live forever with me.

Winning 1-0 at Portsmouth to stay up.

Beating Portsmouth 2-0 at our place to stay up.

Beating Charlton at our place to stay up.

Winning 2-0 at home to Valencia in the EUFA Cup......a great side featuring Rainer Bonhoff and Mario Kempes who was my favourite foreign player of his generation.

But for sheer gut wrenching tension,the winner for me is the 1-0 home play off win v Wolves, I’ve never been so tense at a match, I spent the last 15 minutes on the concourse under the Brummie Rd, I couldn’t bare to watch.

18th May 1968

FA cup 68.

Watching Willie Johnston.

The Atkinson era

The Johnny Giles team

0-2 at home to Spurs and winning 2-4 (Thrashed them in the second half)

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    FA cup 68.

Watching Willie Johnston.

The Atkinson era

The Johnny Giles team

0-2 at home to Spurs and winning 2-4 (Thrashed them in the second half)
    Agree with your last one Boingy 😎

I was in the Smethwick End with my dad that day and when the 4th goal went in the away end emptied of around 4000 Spurs fans and 5 minutes later hundreds of their lot entered the Brummie Rd causing a riot.

What a day that was.

I was in the Brummie end and climbed the 10 ft fence to get out. Watched the rest of the game from the seats. They all had flick knives.

For sheer emotion the great escape game, totally unique day, the fans were like a single entity up, down, from despair to elation, scores filtering through then the celebration on the pitch at the end, unbelievable day!

The King's two hat tricks in 3 days in 1968 when we beat the European champs (Man Ure) 6-3 & then Wet Spam 3-2. Happy days

Two matches stand out for me, both a long time ago; the second leg of the League Cup Final, the last season before it went to Wembley, beating West Ham and all their big England stars. The other one was the win at Oldham when Bomber delivered promotion!

For me it was probably beating Palace and turning the 12 point gap around on Wolves the first season we went up. 2002 I think?

For the sheer fact that I, and many others in my age range, had never seen us play in the top division at that point. As well as the unlikeliness of us going up.

That moment would take some beating.
    Last edited by WBA123; 10-05-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Taking my son to the Hawthorns for the first time. We lost 1-2 to Wigan in the relegation season following the Great Escape. It didn't matter to him though, he loved it and was hooked for life. Poor bugger 😊 .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)