+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T:- 80 years ago

I don't no what the fuss is about I slept through it all, probably in the air raid shelter in the middle of the street (Marina Avenue Chilwell)

The triple brick structure was still there until the early fifty's when it was knocked down and magically disappeared in multiple garden paths before the council came to pick it up. Also most people had nisson hut shelters in their gardens too.

A bomb dropped at the end of the street and there were cracks in the brickwork of our house from the explosion.

My mother worked at Chilwell Depot packing ammo and bombs stuff during the second world war.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    I don't no what the fuss is about I slept through it all, probably in the air raid shelter in the middle of the street (Marina Avenue Chilwell)

The triple brick structure was still there until the early fifty's when it was knocked down and magically disappeared in multiple garden paths before the council came to pick it up. Also most people had nisson hut shelters in their gardens too.

A bomb dropped at the end of the street and there were cracks in the brickwork of our house from the explosion.

My mother worked at Chilwell Depot packing ammo and bombs stuff during the second world war.
    My mum worked at Raleigh doing similar.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I thought I had seen a memorial about this at the church.. I cant remember if there was a plaque or statue or both..
    Thanks
    It’s an statue Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    It’s an statue Pedro
    Thanks FM..

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post

Not Nissen huts unless folk had huge gardens! The shelters folks had in their gardens were Anderson shelters made from corrugated steel because of it's ability to withstand the compressive forces given by an exploding bomb. A flat sheet of steel would not do this.

Nissen huts were much larger and not used as air raid shelters.

Correct my mistake.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123