+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- 80 years ago

O/T:- 80 years ago

Saw on the news just now that the Nottingham 'blitz' took place in the early hours 80 years ago today. They showed footage of the damage to the Co-op on Meadow Lane. Does anyone have any family memories of that night? My dad's no longer here to ask, but I know he spent every air raid sheltering under the kitchen table at their house on Meadow Lane.

Difficult to imagine what that night was like though the eyes of a child as the bombs fell. I do know that he got into terrible trouble for picking up an incendiary bomb that had fallen in their yard and hiding it in a drawer in the bedroom
    Last edited by SwalePie; 09-05-2021 at 06:01 PM.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-56932206

No family memories but during a ground tour at Meadow Lane (1991?) we were told the Kop end penalty area wasn't level - the after effect of one of the bombs that fell on the stadium that night...
    Last edited by SwalePie; 09-05-2021 at 06:02 PM.

My mother worked at Ericsson’s during the war, I believe making radios. She once told me of the bombing in Nottingham, but in the scheme of things the city got off lightly. She also told me that she used to visit the Flying Horse but never gave me any details.

Here:

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Here:

Was that taken just after Darren Caskey dived in the penalty box?

Here:

Good pic!

Here:

What a photo. Thanks

I remember being told that one of my great Uncles was killed in the coop bakery when it had a direct hit from a German bomb.

Nottingham St Mary's church in the Lace Market seems to have had a lucky rescue otherwise it may have been Coventry Cathedral v2.

Somewhat earlier, July 1918, saw the Chilwell explosion killing the most people of WWI in a single explosion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastm...ll_somme.shtml

I believe there is a mass grave and gravestone in the churchyard at Attenborough.

I have a link to that, My Father-in-law Reg (George) Miller was commendated for saving St Marys - he and another fireman went all the way up to the top to put out incendary bombs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast