+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Champions League final lication

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I'm curious to how the "science" explains states in the US like Florida and Texas? Both are almost wide open with full attendance, some of the oldest populations in the America's and no mask or social distance mandates. They get visitors for all over the world (especially Florida with mickey mouse land and all of the visitors from around the world including china) and they have one of the lowest hospitalization and death rates. This in spite of the fact that a good majority of the population has at least one or more of the co- mordidity factors. They have the largest population of old people in the US.

They do have a high vaccination rate.

Perhaps, with age comes wisdom. Maybe they realize that hiding in your basement, wearing masks and avoiding all people isn't the way to beat this disease. You have to get on with life.

This virus and the dozens of it's variants isn't going away any more than the common cold is.
    Whoever is visiting the USA, whatever state they might visit, they aren't from the UK. International travel from the UK to just about everywhere has been banned and like I said earlier, those who do travel HAVE to quarantine if they have travelled to countries NOT on the green list (and that includes every state of the union).

Frankly I don't give the tiniest rats ar5e how open ANY state in the USA is or not. I don't live there, I live here in Southampton, UK, and for the first time in nearly 5 months I can see my children and grandchildren and give them all a hug and I'm damned if I'm gong to sit by and stay quiet while the UEFA f00kwits put the prospect of that at risk so some equally f00kwit freeloaders can attend the Champions League final, which was what this f00king thread was supposed to be about, not (with the greatest respect) what the USA is or is not doing, given they have f00k all interest in that competition!

So what happens when the UK opens? Are you proposing staying locked down forever? Boris and the government might like that but not sure about the taxpayers.

You do realize that with over 3000 variants already tracked and thousands more occurring down the road that this will never end? we will all be exposed just like every pandemic in history. eventually, the human race will develop antibodies. Modern medicine has sped that process up along with good theraupeutics but eventually we'll all have the antibodies.

the lockdowns were intended to slow the spread down long enough for vaccine development, allowing the hospitals to stay on top of this and develop effective treatments.

That's happened. it's time to open up and get on with life. It's a government control issue now.

In the meantime the UK just gave up a flagship event.

So what happens when the UK opens? Are you proposing staying locked down forever? Boris and the government might like that but not sure about the taxpayers.

You do realize that with over 3000 variants already tracked and thousands more occurring down the road that this will never end? we will all be exposed just like every pandemic in history. eventually, the human race will develop antibodies. Modern medicine has sped that process up along with good theraupeutics but eventually we'll all have the antibodies.

the lockdowns were intended to slow the spread down long enough for vaccine development, allowing the hospitals to stay on top of this and develop effective treatments.

That's happened. it's time to open up and get on with life. It's a government control issue now.

In the meantime the UK just gave up a flagship event.
    The UK, as you put it, is already open, we're just selective as to who is allowed in and under what circumstances, something the exemptions UEFA seek would drive a coach and horse through. You seem to ignore what I said about the road map to lockdown removal and the steps already taken, and that all this has been possible because we have an incredibly successful vaccination programme that is delivering lower infection/hospitalisation/death rates than at any time since Covid struck.

We are all aware that there are variants, and that vaccinations aren't all-powerful, but we're also aware that as removing restrictions has been based on the data, anything that raises (or risks raising), those rates should be avoided. The mixing of 3000 random individuals with equally random infection histories behind them with a large number of fans from the UK who face no quarantine when they return is just that, an avoidable risk.

With you on the purpose of lockdowns and vaccine development/deployment, but the effect is not yet well enough embedded (even in the UK, we still have millions of adults who haven't had their first vaccination, never mind second), for anyone to say "it's happened", because it hasn't, and most certainly not in the USA, most of mainland Europe, Russia, most of Africa.

As for passing up a "flagship event", where two clubs I would gladly see the back of compete for a cup we won't be getting anywhere near for a couple of seasons yet? Meh......

I'm curious to how the "science" explains states in the US like Florida and Texas? Both are almost wide open with full attendance, some of the oldest populations in the America's and no mask or social distance mandates. They get visitors for all over the world (especially Florida with mickey mouse land and all of the visitors from around the world including china) and they have one of the lowest hospitalization and death rates. This in spite of the fact that a good majority of the population has at least one or more of the co- mordidity factors. They have the largest population of old people in the US.

They do have a high vaccination rate.

Perhaps, with age comes wisdom. Maybe they realize that hiding in your basement, wearing masks and avoiding all people isn't the way to beat this disease. You have to get on with life.

This virus and the dozens of it's variants isn't going away any more than the common cold is.
    Not sure where you got the info from about Florida rates, they have had over 35,000 deaths, 2 and a quarter million cases. Micky's place was shut for a while then opened with reduced numbers allowed and distancing etc. More interesting is the arrest of Rebekah Jones, she was responsible for doing the stats for Florida and claims she was asked to manipulate the numbers down; she didn't like the idea and blew the story. She was sacked for insubordination and then subsequently arrested, cops did her back door and arrested her in front of her kids.

Portugal is virtually Covid free, where the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    Yup Portugal is doing very well but if you are moving it from Turkey you would have thought it would be moved to the UK given the teams involved.

For me its the fact that we have two UK teams in the final and it would be much safer and easier to keep it in the UK. The only reason it is going to Portugal is so UEFA can bring all their mates.It doesn't matter how low the numbers are there, having 10000+ fans travelling on planes to a foreign country, mixing in hotels with locals and each other then travelling back is a sure fire way to guarantee people pick it up.

If it wasn't for COVID I wouldn't care but to me it is just a reckless and pointless decision when we are close to getting rid of it.

Unfortuantly Joel, we wont be getting rid of it any time soon.
    We'll be living with it and learning how to live with it better.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    For me its the fact that we have two UK teams in the final and it would be much safer and easier to keep it in the UK. The only reason it is going to Portugal is so UEFA can bring all their mates.It doesn't matter how low the numbers are there, having 10000+ fans travelling on planes to a foreign country, mixing in hotels with locals and each other then travelling back is a sure fire way to guarantee people pick it up.

If it wasn't for COVID I wouldn't care but to me it is just a reckless and pointless decision when we are close to getting rid of it.
    Spot on Joel.

It's not the Portuguese who will make up the 3000 exemptions, they will come from any place the URFA brown-noses see fit, THEN they will mix with the Portuguese AND the fans from the UK, which increases the risk of a spike in infections which in turn risks an extension if lockdown for longer than is necessary if the exemptions weren't allowed.

All to pander to UEFA bigwigs and those who have their nose stuck up their ar5es.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)