+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T India a leading country......I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    It funny how we can see things in other countries but fail to recognise them of our own.

Your concern here seems to be that poor governance has led to India being the epicenter of a global pandemic.

Guess what, incompetence (late into lockdown compared to our European neighbours) led to Britain being the center of the pandemic at one point.
    It was because we had a different variant, in Kent, which most likely originated from the other side of the channel.

[QUOTE=John2;39777455]It funny how we can see things in other countries but fail to recognise them of our own.

Your concern here seems to be that poor governance has led to India being the epicenter of a global pandemic.

Guess what, incompetence (late into lockdown compared to our European neighbours) led to Britain being the center of the pandemic at one point.

Yet inexplicably this country is so misinformed it seems to be voting for more of the same. We are on a terrifying downard spiral and people are just oblivious or in denial.

I'm a bit cynical of the motivations for international aid. Ironically I think a lot of the people who complain about it also love to boast of Britain's status on the global stage. I think if we cut off the aid to countries like India they might be quite suprised at the hit that to our influence and status.

A few years ago I spent a few months backpacking India and I went to Varanassi in Uttar Pradesh. Witnessing them burn the bodies on the riverbanks of the ganges is quite an extraordinary sight. You encounter families gathered around the bodies of their deceased loved ones in the narrow streets saying final farewells before their journey to the river. Such a radically different culture.[/ we are so misinformed we’re voting for more of the same? You’re not a labour mp are you?.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    which most likely originated from the other side of the channel.
    lol, what science are you basing this nugget on? This should be entertaining... (I won't hold my breath).

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    They're sending missions into space like they're the new super power, their country is in utter turmoil and now this. What a disgusting deplorable set of Government w.ankers they are when poor people have to stoop to this....

The bodies of at least 40 people have washed up on the banks of the Ganges river in northern India, officials say.
    The discovery, near the border between the states of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, was confirmed to the BBC on Monday.
    It is not clear how the bodies came to be there, but local media reports suggest they may be Covid-19 victims.
    Some media reports say as many as 100 bodies have been found, and that their condition suggests they may have been in the river for several days.
    "There is a possibility that these bodies have come out of Uttar Pradesh," a local official, Ashok Kumar, told the BBC after questioning local residents. He said the remains would be buried or cremated.

Officials said the bodies appeared to be bloated and partially burnt, and that they may have ended up in the river as part of the practice of cremating victims of coronavirus along the river Ganges in Uttar Pradesh, India's NDTV news channel reported.

Some local residents and journalists told BBC Hindi a shortage of wood for cremations and the rising costs associated with funerals were leaving some families with no option but to put the bodies of loved ones who had died from coronavirus directly into the river.

Local resident Chandra Mohan said: "Private hospitals are looting people. Common people are not left with money to pay a priest and spend more on cremation at the river bank. They are asking 2,000 rupees [£20; $27] just to get the corpse out of the ambulance. The river has become their last recourse so people are immersing corpses in the river."
    Uttar Pradesh is India's most populous state.

A second wave of the virus is ravaging parts of India, with deaths rising significantly in recent weeks. Most of the country's crematoriums have run out of spaces. The country is now the epicentre of the global pandemic.
    India has recorded more than 22.6 million coronavirus cases and 246,116 Covid-related deaths since the start of the pandemic, according to Johns Hopkins University data. Experts believe the real death toll could be far higher.

And we send aids to these incompetent two hats? It makes you seethe.....
    UK: 1872 deaths/million population
    India: 191 deaths/million population

I'd be careful about throwing 'incompetent two hats' about.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    UK: 1872 deaths/million population
    India: 191 deaths/million population

I'd be careful about throwing 'incompetent two hats' about.
    I don't think you're a berk so I simply believe you are dishonest. Read the NYT, The Week and a whole host of reputable media sources and they all conclude that the Indian government is (quote) "massively under-reporting" cases and that Indian medics state that reported cases are (quote) a "fraction" of the real number.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    It was because we had a different variant, in Kent, which most likely originated from the other side of the channel.
    I don't often agree with John but he's right to pull you up on this. So far as I am aware there is not a single shred of evidence to support your assertion. Experts are unanimous in suggesting the variant probably mutated from the original strain within the body of a person in the Canterbury area who was immunosuppressed probably due to AIDS or cancer. By contrast, the Indian variant has been imported by people visiting India, almost certainly British Hindus attending religious festivals.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    I don't think you're a berk so I simply believe you are dishonest. Read the NYT, The Week and a whole host of reputable media sources and they all conclude that the Indian government is (quote) "massively under-reporting" cases and that Indian medics state that reported cases are (quote) a "fraction" of the real number.
    wendun, you've saved me the trouble of replying to him, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12