+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we belong in the lower leagues?

To be honest I think the leagues are that finite now you can’t just ease off where you want to be.and you could easily find yourself getting sucked in to going down..in league two albeit due to COVID some teams decided just to bring lower league players and non contract players etc in and not invest and just hope to survive…Grimsby and Colchester publicly said that and other may have,luckily for some only two went down…but just proves you can’t really go into a season just to Survive or just stay there…if your in the promotion slots you don’t say I don’t want to go up you take it…

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    We do with Warney as manager that's his level but you've got to have that bit of luck or do you make your own luck? Warnock used most of his luck up with us but he got us set up right so gave himself a chance of keeping us up.
    The same Paul Warne who has 2 promotions on his cv already you mean ?

We will always be a yo yo club with our financial restraints but take Norwich they are a bigger yo yo club because even tho they are a good side I think they will come back down next season.We haven’t got the money to stay in the Championship &they haven’t got the money to stay in the Prem.It’s all about the money.
    Last edited by Lolmorgan; 11-05-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    You missed & two relegations on his CV.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    I've said league 1 is Warney's level. I've also said it's a two year plan get us up to the championship & keep us there. Have we got the ambition to do that? Do we need a change of manager to succeed
    with that plan? I'd say to give us a better chance of that yes I'd change managers.

No we don't belong in the lower leagues.
    We're not too far away from survival in the Championship.
    Our goals against column last season improved considerably.
    We competed in 95% of the games and not too many teams actually gave us a thrashing.
    Swansea perhaps gave us a lesson in finishing, something we lacked last season.
    The club need to keep on doing what they're doing plus hope that Rob Scott and his scouts can find a couple of potential non-league player and / or make a decision on Joshua Kayode.
    Unfortunately other teams are chasing the same players.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    No we don't belong in the lower leagues.
    We're not too far away from survival in the Championship.
    Our goals against column last season improved considerably.
    We competed in 95% of the games and not too many teams actually gave us a thrashing.
    Swansea perhaps gave us a lesson in finishing, something we lacked last season.
    The club need to keep on doing what they're doing plus hope that Rob Scott and his scouts can find a couple of potential non-league player and / or make a decision on Joshua Kayode.
    Unfortunately other teams are chasing the same players.
    Casper, to me, money restraints say we do and we do kick and aim above our means. There's nothing wrong with that but and it's always a but, without the financial investment, we will always be a lower league club. We have to enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is Rotherham United so buckle up and look forward to the next ride of highs and lows.

Taking all factors into consideration we are a good League 1 club that occasionally punches above its weight.
    People may disagree with that but its a fact and will not change without a significant uplift in finances which is unlikely to happen.
    Personally I would prefer to continue on this rollercoaster ride rather than see the club put at risk through reckless spending.

We belong where the previous seasons final table has us. Same for every club, every year. Simple as that as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure belong is the right word however. Always seems to be used in football to justify saying certain teams should be in certain divisions when in reality nobody has the right to be in any league bar their performance in the given season. Football is transient.

Saying that, I do always feel as though we are imposters to a degree when in the Championship. I guess that comes from not having sustained seasons here that I can remember. Perhaps a mindset shift is needed if others within the club think the same. But it is hard to believe something you haven't done. I could probably hop on one leg for an hour straight if I wanted to but I've never done it so it feels unlikely because I haven't the experience to draw upon.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    I've said league 1 is Warney's level. I've also said it's a two year plan get us up to the championship & keep us there. Have we got the ambition to do that? Do we need a change of manager to succeed
    with that plan? I'd say to give us a better chance of that yes I'd change managers.
    So who, in your opinion, could do a better job than Warne given the financial constraints he would have to work under?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast