+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we belong in the lower leagues?

Do we belong in the lower leagues?

I feel we do but as one of the big dogs in League 1. We can and will smash some teams next season and it's the feeling of here we go again, looking at a potential promotion, that will only bring heartache if we achieve it again.

I would in Keegan's words, 'love it' if we bounced straight back but we know unless someone big steps in, we are destined to be a lower league club. Where's Gino when we need a Millionaire singer to invest in us ?

No. When the house of cards collapses we will be in a strong position.

No team 'belongs' in any division in my opinion..

I've been thinking about this a lot recently.
    I think historically, maybe we have been, certainly in the almost 50 years I've been supporting them.
    With the occasional foray into the 2nd tier, usually about every 10 years.

But I think we've made great strides in the last few years getting away from that, despite how much some appear to think we're an abject failure

I realise, there's no guarantee we will bounce back every time, but perhaps this yo-yoing is the only way we can eventually establish ourselves at the next level, while still working within our sensible budget.

I think despite another relegation,we seem to be getting closer, and in another more normal season might have actually stayed up.

Is the next level we can realistically hope to achieve perennial stragglers in the championship,regularly finishing 4th bottom?
    And would people be content with that for a number of years?
    By its very nature that would mean seeing more defeats, albeit to better teams, but would have much more financial potential.

Without a massive boost in our finances it was always going to be almost impossible to go from where we have been, to become an established championship side

Good post Magyar

I honestly don’t think we would’ve been near bottom if it was a ‘normal’ season.

On our budget (only going on what’s said, I don’t know the facts) then maybe that’s saying we should be lower league but there is no other reason why imo

Its funny isn't it; we constantly compare ourselves to these clubs with bigger budgets. But do they actually have more money?

The last time we were relegated from the championship we made a profit. Just let that sink in for a while because it truly is a remarkable thing these days: a second tier English football club posted an operating profit!

Who's the wealthiest? Who has the most money:

The neighbour with a lovely looking house with several extensions and conservatory but with a huge mortgage, who has 3 foreign holidays each year paid on credit cards (which are pretty much maxed out), he has several loans and a huge overdraft. Not to mention his top of the range BMW parked on the drive, which he doesn't own but has via the latest trend of car leasing.

Or

The guy on the street in a dowdy house which could do with a lick of paint but the mortgage is paid off. He holidays once a year in a skeggy caravan for which he saves up to pay for. He drives a 10 year old ford which turns no heads, but he owns it. No loans. No overdraft.

In normal times we may not have been promoted. Were we good enough to go up? The two previous promotions were achieved through play-offs, a lottery at best. Didn't we finish forth on both occasions?
    The new stadium has brought in new wealth through an increase in support, but it's still small by Championship standards.
    We have actually spent about a quarter of our history in the second tier. Not bad for a 'small'club.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    Its funny isn't it; we constantly compare ourselves to these clubs with bigger budgets. But do they actually have more money?

The last time we were relegated from the championship we made a profit. Just let that sink in for a while because it truly is a remarkable thing these days: a second tier English football club posted an operating profit!

Who's the wealthiest? Who has the most money:

The neighbour with a lovely looking house with several extensions and conservatory but with a huge mortgage, who has 3 foreign holidays each year paid on credit cards (which are pretty much maxed out), he has several loans and a huge overdraft. Not to mention his top of the range BMW parked on the drive, which he doesn't own but has via the latest trend of car leasing.

Or

The guy on the street in a dowdy house which could do with a lick of paint but the mortgage is paid off. He holidays once a year in a skeggy caravan for which he saves up to pay for. He drives a 10 year old ford which turns no heads, but he owns it. No loans. No overdraft.
    You lost me Grumps with the van at Skeggy, the balance is somewhere in between...I cant understand what Crash has to do with this

Saying we belong in league 1 is like telling a young lad born & bred in a council house in East Herringthorpe & working in a scrap yard that that's his level & where he belongs for the rest of his life..

We do with Warney as manager that's his level but you've got to have that bit of luck or do you make your own luck? Warnock used most of his luck up with us but he got us set up right so gave himself a chance of keeping us up.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast