+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do we belong in the lower leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    As John McEnroe would have said, "you cannot be serious!"
    Preston fans couldn't stand him.

Maybe but we’re told many times on this board that fans know nothing about football and that the manager is always right.

I actually think John McEnroe might be a better option than Alex Neil and he'd certainly placate the 'no green tea and BBQ' brigade.

We all go on about "our" budget, but what was it?
    Can you split it into 2 halves, good signings and (cough) not so good.? Someone posted on here about 10 players who were considered by lots on here to be a waste of money. If their money was diverted in to good signing list would it have changed things? i think so. We moved a few on to bring Giles and Wing to the club, and proved a good idea.
    We all have great hindsight but, what boxes did Hirst and Blackman tick(although he did ok late on)...Clarke, Miller, Sadlier, Proctor(who decided to give him a contract extension?).....

It’s easier to waste money than spend it wisely

Back to the original thread I reckon we are bobbing around in our correct position when all factors are taken into consideration

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    It’s easier to waste money than spend it wisely

Back to the original thread I reckon we are bobbing around in our correct position when all factors are taken into consideration
    I quite like the bobbing around. Much better than mid-table mediocrity. What would it be like if we had nothing to play for by the end of March? 4 months of Malt Loaf threads rather than just 2.5

Leave my malt loaf thread alone .....we do what we do and fail when it comes to being that little bit extra special. I only wish Tony Stewart had that extra backer.....where's the Hull's when we need them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Leave my malt loaf thread alone .....we do what we do and fail when it comes to being that little bit extra special. I only wish Tony Stewart had that extra backer.....where's the Hull's when we need them ?
    I'm actually really appreciative of it as it reminded me of something I'd completely forgotten about life in England, so much so I've been digging up recipes. All I have to do now is discretely leave the recipe book open for Mrs. CA to take the hint

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I'm actually really appreciative of it as it reminded me of something I'd completely forgotten about life in England, so much so I've been digging up recipes. All I have to do now is discretely leave the recipe book open for Mrs. CA to take the hint
    Watch she doesn't over do it on the raisin's ....you'll be farting all day long

How about I throw that question back at you mellow! As managers are supposed to know more than supporters about tactics etc and I assume he will have the same FA Badges as PW why would he be any worse or better than PW? Where does the argument about coaching badges, experience of the game etc go? What makes one manager any better or worse than any other?

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    How about I throw that question back at you mellow! As managers are supposed to know more than supporters about tactics etc and I assume he will have the same FA Badges as PW why would he be any worse or better than PW? Where does the argument about coaching badges, experience of the game etc go? What makes one manager any better or worse than any other?
    I guess the only measure you can use regarding that last question is win percentage but that hides many of the other variables involved in defining better or worse. The general level of everyday managers is around 42% (Neil, Wilder, Bowyer, Evans, Jackett) but even some deemed 'successful' managers are below that in the high thirties (Big Mick, NW, Ronnie). Top managers like Shankly are above 50% but as a warning, Alan Stubbs is at 58% due to his longish success at Hibs and disasterous but very short tenures with us and St Mirren.

PW is at 33% which only rises a couple of points to to 35% if you discard the 2016-7 games where he inherited the Stubbs/Jackett aftermath and won just 4/26. I guess in that sense he is vastly underperforming for where he should be in relation to his peers. Nothing that a 46 win season in L1 won't rectify as that would lift him up to 44%
    Last edited by CAMiller; 13-05-2021 at 12:05 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast