+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fao Roma

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Great post Jules , the Barnsley family has many narratives .

Acido and Ponte Steve along with yourself weren't born in the borough , so fecking what ?

You are as passionate as the rest of us .

It's your club , end of conversation .

I've had a pint with a couple of Norwegians who passionately follow this club when they can in the Dove ,

Of all the clubs and they choose us , massive respect , some of us had no bstrd choice so even greater respect .

The first RL game I went to was at Wakefield Trinity in 1982 , I get along now and then but they are my RL club , because I walked through those turnstiles at Belle Vue so I get it .

I've no connection family wise with Wakefield what so ever other than it was a great night out back in the day .

We are all Barnsley , whether you go regularly or for what ever reason you don't , it doesn't matter .

It's your heart that judges this shyte .
    True Animal - I was born in Wakefield albeit all my Mum's side of the family coming from Barnsley. With me working abroad many years I have many foreign friends and just like friends and family in the UK they all know who my team are BARNSLEY FC and btw I still go to Belle Vue to watch Trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    “No problem if yer family from there”

So, explain this then.
    Huddersfield town were in the First division when I was first taken to Oakwell. Mi father took me there as Oakwell was a bit of a quieter place for a six year old and the lower West stand (Open end side) could be a place where a young lad could walk down to the front and sit in the wall....( at half time and before the match in full view of his dad and his mate)
    Dad wasn’t a Barnsley fan, he was from Huddersfield. No ties to the club, Mum was from Wombwell but didnt know what a football was back then. Dad took us all over watching the Reds, until he couldn’t sit in the seats and he had to give up.
    So he had really no affinity, nor loyalty to the Tarn. He died in October, his name in the Reds remembered list this year, A red from the day he first took me, till the end.

52 years later..... and a good many ****age beatings from the blue and white fans around where I live, I consider myself a Barnsley person, as well as a fan. I won’t hear bad words against the place, people or club......

Mrs Jules began following us a few years ago.... She feels the same, she actually MORE aggressive in her defence of Barnsley ( town, club and People than I am...... wierd is t it? ...... no family ties to the club only me.
    We feel part of the community, and even though we don’t live there we spend money in Barnsley, shop in Barnsley.

I’m insulted Nudge, I feel that Barnsley IS my community...... Sorry you want it to be a closed community.

Just a question.....

What’s your family background.....? 100% from within the town?

Just asking....
    I’ll stick to my opinion that you should support the club where you live or where your family is from.

Barnsley is a medium sized town but is massive in terms of the number of football supporters that live there.
    It is also surrounded by other towns - and the people living on the edges of those towns look at Barnsley as their local town.
    I’m talking about places like Brampton, Wath, Hemsworth, Denby Dale etc etc.

If every football supporter in the Barnsley District and those places that see Barnsley as their local town - supported Barnsley - that is to say supported their local community - then I’d give it a guess that the attendances at Oakwell would be at least double of what they are now.

Which would make Barnsley Football Club and the Barnsley area a more successful and wealthier place.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I’ll stick to my opinion that you should support the club where you live or where your family is from.

Barnsley is a medium sized town but is massive in terms of the number of football supporters that live there.
    It is also surrounded by other towns - and the people living on the edges of those towns look at Barnsley as their local town.
    I’m talking about places like Brampton, Wath, Hemsworth, Denby Dale etc etc.

If every football supporter in the Barnsley District and those places that see Barnsley as their local town - supported Barnsley - that is to say supported their local community - then I’d give it a guess that the attendances at Oakwell would be at least double of what they are now.

Which would make Barnsley Football Club and the Barnsley area a more successful and wealthier place.
    It doesn't work that way Nudge with football .

I once worked with a lad who was born and bred here and has worked and lived all his life in Barnsley .

He was a massive Leicester City fan , the reason was that they got to an FA cup semi final when he was a kid and were massive underdogs against Liverpool and they became his team on the basis of that .

Absolutely very little interest in Barnsley Football Club .

I worked with him when Leicester were a run of the mill second division club and not recently so he was hardly a glory hunter .

It's what's in your heart and not necessarily where you are from in my opinion .

Years ago we had a poster on here from Ireland , he chose us because of Mick McCarthy who was his favourite player when he played for the ROI .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234