+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sacked.!

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    A 32 yr old defender is a bit different to a couple of38? yr old in midfielders who are expected to cover the pitch. I'd say 32 is not classed as old as it used to be now a day, with all the carbs & everything they eat & train
    It would be on here!

I can imagine the comments.

Who are these 38 year olds? Reeves is 27 and O'Brien is 33. Doyle is 39.

A 32 yr old defender is a bit different to a couple of38? yr old in midfielders who are expected to cover the pitch. I'd say 32 is not classed as old as it used to be now a day, with all the carbs & everything they eat & train
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    It would be on here!

I can imagine the comments.

Who are these 38 year olds? Reeves is 27 and O'Brien is 33. Doyle is 39.
    That's why the question mark sunshine. I knew Doyle was there, unsure about O'Brien.

Absolutely. It's all about having the right balance in the squad. If you are signing someone like Ellis who is over 30 and could be useful or a season or two then you want to have another central defender who can compliment any physical weaknesses that an older player may have and as such between the pair they are solid unit.

Say for example if an older player may lack a bit of pace, pair him alongside a younger player who is quite pacy compared to the majority in the squad. I appreciate it's not that simple and where I'm coming from is it's about having a mix of players who have different skills and ages where as a group they can cover each others weaknesses whilst having their own unique strengths. Then it gives the chance of making the sum greater than the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Absolutely. It's all about having the right balance in the squad. If you are signing someone like Ellis who is over 30 and could be useful or a season or two then you want to have another central defender who can compliment any physical weaknesses that an older player may have and as such between the pair they are solid unit.

Say for example if an older player may lack a bit of pace, pair him alongside a younger player who is quite pacy compared to the majority in the squad. I appreciate it's not that simple and where I'm coming from is it's about having a mix of players who have different skills and ages where as a group they can cover each others weaknesses whilst having their own unique strengths. Then it gives the chance of making the sum greater than the parts.
    I agree.

But let's not pretend there wouldn't be an outcry by some on this board if it was just announced that we were going to sign a 32 year old.

That's why the question mark sunshine. I knew Doyle was there, unsure about O'Brien.
    O'Brien hasn't really been played as a central midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I agree.

But let's not pretend there wouldn't be an outcry by some on this board if it was just announced that we were going to sign a 32 year old.
    Would there be an outcry now if We/IB chose not to sign him and he went back to the Nordics to sign someone he has stumbled across whilst out there?

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Would there be an outcry now if We/IB chose not to sign him and he went back to the Nordics to sign someone he has stumbled across whilst out there?
    Personally I would be surprised if he doesn't try and sign Ellis. I also would be surprised if he doesn't bring in any Nordics.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Personally I would be surprised if he doesn't try and sign Ellis. I also would be surprised if he doesn't bring in any Nordics.
    QP I think we have agreed on something, the magic of a winning run works miracles !
    long may it continue ......!

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Aren’t overseas players almost impossible to bring in at lower-league level now due to Brexit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast