+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The verdict is in.

The verdict is in.

Not guilty on 2 of the amortisation issues. The panel found for the EFL on the other issue.

Looks like we're ahead 2-1. It's back to the disciplinary committee to decide what, if any consequences there might be.

As it looks like it's a mere technicality, no further action OUGHT to be the way forward.

I wonder how long this will take? The whole thing only took this long because BORO and the EFL kept bringing up new stuff.........

I'm breathing easy on this.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/05/...v-derby-county

It's OK Alonso has done a Fawaz and showed us his house, I think?

ffs lol

https://twitter.com/secondtierpod/st...47158929543169

Here's an explanation of what it was we did that isn't against EFL rules......
    ================================
    The accounts that clubs have to produce every year are both historic records of all the money that has gone in and out of the business but also a snapshot of its value.

A club’s income from broadcasters, sponsors and ticket sales is relatively easy to measure and goes in the profit columns, while maintenance costs, rent and salaries go in the debit columns. Take the latter away from the former and you have that year’s profit or — if it is the Championship we are talking about — loss.

But how clubs account for transfer fees and the value of their most important assets, the players, is a bit trickier as it hinges on amortisation: the principle of gradually writing off what it cost you to buy that asset over time.

Every asset a club owns – computers, lawnmowers, office equipment, the training ground, stadium and so on – loses a chunk of its value over time.

Footballers are no different: their value reduces over the length of their contracts until they reach zero, the end of the deal, when they can leave on a free transfer and have no further value to the club. Their value has therefore been amortised or, in the Middle English sense of the word, killed.

This also has an impact on the profit/loss equation, as the fees paid for the players are also evenly spread over the lengths of the contracts. So a £3 million fee for a player on a three-year deal is listed as a £1 million cost in the next three sets of accounts.

Every football club does this. Apart from Derby. They used to do it like everyone else but in 2015 they announced a subtle but significant change to their accounting practices.

“The costs associated with acquiring players’ registrations…are capitalised and amortised over the period of the respective players’ contracts after consideration of their residual values,” the club said.

“After consideration of their residual values” is the key bit there, as football finance expert Kieran Maguire has explained in his recently published book The Price of Football.

“Consider the following,” he explained. “Fulchester Rovers sign a player for £12 million on a four-year contract. Most clubs would therefore have an annual impairment charge of £3 million.

“If the club, however, allocates a residual value of the player (residual value is the expected value of the player at the end of the contract) of say £8 million, then the annual amortisation charge falls to £1 million (£12 million-£8 million/4).

“This would boost profit or reduce losses by £2 million in a year.”

Can you see how this might present a problem for a regulator trying to apply spending controls or a company being regulated in this way that might have overspent?

Derby, as their statement makes defiantly clear, believe they have done nothing wrong as they told the EFL they were making this accountancy change, the EFL did not object and they have not hidden the fact they were doing this.

And there is no question of Mel Morris’ club hiding losses or double-counting profits, as this method of valuing their players reduces the amount of money they can claim on the credit side when they sell a player. In other words, their annual amortisation costs are the lowest in the league but so are their player-trading profits.

The problem, however, is that this method gives the club, not the market, the power to assess a player’s value, and can therefore, in theory, be manipulated to deal with potential financial fair play issues.

===========================
    So, no EFL rule broken yet we are still guilty and are now waiting to find out what, if anything, the punishment might be.

Text above taken from another forum. I've not provided a source as there wasn't one given and I don't know where it's from. I have tried to find the source using Google but it hasn't come up with a link matching my search criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    It's OK Alonso has done a Fawaz and showed us his house, I think?

ffs lol

https://twitter.com/secondtierpod/st...47158929543169
    This might be the final nail in his coffin. If he is serious about the buyout, he needs to do what has to be done and do it now. If, as seems ever more likley, he is a waster who can't come up with the wherewithall, he needs to walk away and do it now. His current approach seems to be disrespectful of Mel Morris, DCFC and, most of all, the fans and the fans ARE the club.

Dear Senor Alonso, put up or shut up, today!

I don't have Twitter. Has he actually claimed the house is his or merely posted a video of a house that also happens to be on Tik Tok?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I don't have Twitter. Has he actually claimed the house is his or merely posted a video of a house that also happens to be on Tik Tok?
    Derby’s potential new owner, Erik Alonso, has been asked by the EFL to prove that he has the funds to run a football club.

This morning he tweeted a video of a very fancy house.

Only issue is it looks VERY similar to a very fancy house on Tik Tok.
    10:21 AM · May 11, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Smoke screen for me. Probably posted from a travel lodge.

Maddy have you seen this as well, to add to the mix?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...uP8e4qtZ9Lkwj4

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Not guilty on 2 of the amortisation issues. The panel found for the EFL on the other issue.

Looks like we're ahead 2-1. It's back to the disciplinary committee to decide what, if any consequences there might be.

As it looks like it's a mere technicality, no further action OUGHT to be the way forward.

I wonder how long this will take? The whole thing only took this long because BORO and the EFL kept bringing up new stuff.........

I'm breathing easy on this.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/05/...v-derby-county
    Thanks MA...strange timing...let’s wait till Derby fans are celebrating the relief of not being relegated and then kick off all the anxiety again less than 24 hrs later. If I didn’t know better I’d think it was a tad malicious.

Talking of ‘malicious’...the obsessive Forest fan didn’t get what he wanted on Saturday...doesn’t seem to be getting what he and Nixon predicted on Sunday...and has now resorted to Alonso and Keogh.

As an actual Derby fan, I’m less and less convinced as far as Alonso’s suitability is concerned but it’s all just heresay, we know little.

As regards Keogh I just don’t get it. He could and should have been a club legend, but by knowingly getting into a car driven by a drunk driver he did, imo, let himself and the club down. As club captain and senior pro he should have been setting an example not being complicit in both breaking the law and ultimately making himself unavailable for work for the best part of a year. I believe he was offered 50% of his wages for the remainder of the season but refused it. In the real world £12k per week after you’ve completely screwed up and, allegedly, given a false name to the authorities seems more than generous to me.

The irony.

The piss taking over Fawaz's house with ginger big nose. At least they actually went there.
    Keogh?
    Sorry, your case doesn't hold water, simply because they did bugger all with Lawrence. It was all about money, that has now bit Morris on the arse again.

It just gets funnier.

The irony indeed, its funny how you jump on the Keogh bandwagon now and to his defence when for the last 6 years he's been the butt of your jokes

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    The irony indeed, its funny how you jump on the Keogh bandwagon now and to his defence when for the last 6 years he's been the butt of your jokes
    If Keogh crying is a crime, I'm guilty.
    However, to be treated as an employee like that, while a co conspiritor gets let off. Was bad form and puts me in his corner.
    Karma springs to mind Stenson.
    Punish one, all should have been punished, but DCFC bottled it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)