+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumours

Just thinking about the rumours, they're all about 'forwards' or a midfielder. However, we actually need a minimum of three defenders to make up the squad. Any ideas of: any others coming through in those positions or people we might be looking at? I don't use social media so not really on the pulse of gossip. Therefore, if anyone else would like to spread some rumours (especially all the 'viewers' who don't post&#128521, feel free.

So Beckles has gone. Home to Leytonstone for his family. Yet he did consider other offers. Maybe is attracted to management of Kenny Jackett. Still, now playing in league 2 and his howlers won't be so obvious there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Reading the OS it certainly looks like Ryan Wintle is on his way dissapointing to lose him and also for zero transfer fee, but the next club he goes to will be getting a very competent player. Do we think Josh Lundstrum will fill the void left by Wintle’s departure ?
    Not a rumour exactly, but as we await news of Ryan Wintle's move, my step daughter, who's a neighbour of his in Bradwell, says he and his partner now have a sold sign up on their house. (In the road they thought he was going to Swansea, but it may just be a confusion with Cardiff, as expected, of course - though it would be tasty if he ended up playing against Perrie Ng in a Welsh derby!)

So.. Wintle having his medical for Cardiff today. I know a lot of people wish him luck but I can't help feeling he shafted the club in the end. Long way from Alsager Town to Cardiff City.

Good luck to him. He only joined us at age 16 and, whilst we certainly developed him, it’s a slightly different situation to some others - it would have to be said that he didn’t mess us around by signing one year extensions like Byron Moore did, or at least seemed to!

I don’t see his contract being any different to any other worker. He’s an employee who is free to move under the conditions of whatever contract he and his employer jointly agreed to sign. In the days before Bosman footballers were, to all intents and purposes, slaves who would be bought and sold at the whims of the clubs who ‘owned’ them. I wouldn’t accept that as an employee and neither, I suspect, would many people. Most of us have had apprenticeship training and job-related courses during our employment and many of us will have used those qualifications to better ourselves at other employers; I don’t see that footballers are any different.

It would have been nice to get a fee for his transfer, but he has been a first team pick for 3 seasons and I suspect that it would have cost us a lot more in salary to have bought in someone who would have performed as well as Ryan has during that time - god knows we’ve bought in some right donkeys in the past with, no doubt, top salaries (for us), signing on fees and transfer fees! Hopefully young Lundstram (or Offord or who knows?) can step into his boots and we’ll be asking Ryan Who?

But if every player decided to run down their contract like this, where does that leave the club long term and of course the million pound academy costs? What if Dean Ashton and many others had done that?

Of course its a no brainer for the player. They probably get six figure sign on fees and the club they join saves hundreds of thousands in transfer costs. All it takes is agents to whisper in their ears not to sign extension deals as so and so club is interested etc.

27 year old defender from Aberdeen on his way in.

And Ainley signs a 2 year deal. Dave getting his work done early again.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    27 year old defender from Aberdeen on his way in.
    Confirmed Tommie Hoban. Was a first team regular for Aberdeen last season which augurs well.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Good luck to him. He only joined us at age 16 and, whilst we certainly developed him, it’s a slightly different situation to some others - it would have to be said that he didn’t mess us around by signing one year extensions like Byron Moore did, or at least seemed to!

I don’t see his contract being any different to any other worker. He’s an employee who is free to move under the conditions of whatever contract he and his employer jointly agreed to sign. In the days before Bosman footballers were, to all intents and purposes, slaves who would be bought and sold at the whims of the clubs who ‘owned’ them. I wouldn’t accept that as an employee and neither, I suspect, would many people. Most of us have had apprenticeship training and job-related courses during our employment and many of us will have used those qualifications to better ourselves at other employers; I don’t see that footballers are any different.

It would have been nice to get a fee for his transfer, but he has been a first team pick for 3 seasons and I suspect that it would have cost us a lot more in salary to have bought in someone who would have performed as well as Ryan has during that time - god knows we’ve bought in some right donkeys in the past with, no doubt, top salaries (for us), signing on fees and transfer fees! Hopefully young Lundstram (or Offord or who knows?) can step into his boots and we’ll be asking Ryan Who?
    I've been thinking about your reply for some time now. I didn't reply immediately as I accept, on the surface anyway, your points. Yes, why should footballers be any different from the rest of us? Maybe they aren't but..... I certainly believed I owed nothing to my employers. They were the bosses and they paid me what my union could make them pay...end of. However, my last employer did care (or at least the department I was in) about my welfare. I was given (as much as anyone else) a say in how things went in our workplace. I had further qualifications subsidised by the company. In return, I wasn't out the door at '5 o'clock', I did invest a lot of time in making sure things went well. The point was that the detail wasn't about just me and them but a place of work and my colleagues. We got along, we were supported and we supported others. We had an investment in the employer, culturally, socially and financially.
    It is this latter point that brings me back to Wintle. He decided to run down his contract EIGH**** MONTHS AGO! Therefore he had made a conscious decision that that was the way it was going to play out. So what, you may ask! Well, he did give te Alex his playing time, which we agree was quite valuable but that was it. He arrived from Alsager in a system that relied on turnover via training, development and sell-on. This is the ONLY way the Alex can survive. If that system fails then, no more Alsager Town players to be developed in to greater professionals, in fact if it were perpetuated, no more Crewe Alex players developed into greater professionals. It's not just about him because his attitude could undermine the system that benefits his colleagues. They are also dependent on this system. Not only that, but it seems that he deprived Alsager of a 20% sell-on fee as well. So for me, I find the attitude totally selfish and indicative of a me, me, me outlook. To me, it's akin to the attitude of not wearing a mask on public transport i.e. me first and the rest can go to hell.
    So I do disagree and my ire is for the likes of Wintle and NOT a rant against you AA.
    Last edited by gazan; 06-07-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast