+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Public Bar Price List 1971

O/T Public Bar Price List 1971

Name:  E0Fj0LeXIAM8Kug.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  98.3 KB

I have an invoice from the first holiday I took my wife and youngest daughter on in 1986 to Watetgate Bay Hotel near Newquay.

It’s for around £414 for full board in what was a 4 star hotel at that time, in those days you got a four course lunch and evening meal.

The same weeks holiday in the summer at the same hotel with only breakfast included would be around £3500-£4000+......crazy!

When I started my first job serving petrol in July 78 petrol was 64p a gallon and due to inflation and the oil crisis it leapt to 78p a gallon by the time I left the garage in early October 78........I can remember customers being up in arms about the constant rises.

78p a gallon 🤣

I was taking home £15.60 and mum was taking £5.50 housekeeping! 😩

WOW! I left school in 1971.

Remember my first drink in a pub was a bottle of Light Ale which cost 1/3d. How times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Name:  E0Fj0LeXIAM8Kug.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  98.3 KB
    That was right in the middle of my first year as a student. I regularly frequented the student union bar where the beer was subsidised. The mind boggles at how cheap it was then

Aww 1971 ehh, the year we went decimal lol. Well I weren't even born at the time of that price list in Feb, I was born in June '71. In fact Number 1 in the charts when I was born was Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep, they don't write songs like that anymore.

What the heck was 'Cob nut' beer, it sounds disgusting.

And who remembers the tv ad tune.. 'Stay sharp Harp, stay sharp to the bottom of the glass!".

I honestly didn't realise that the prices were that low in 1971. I left school in the mid sixties and to my recollection a pint of Red Barrel, horrible stuff, cost 1/3d. Obviously time must have dimmed my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I honestly didn't realise that the prices were that low in 1971. I left school in the mid sixties and to my recollection a pint of Red Barrel, horrible stuff, cost 1/3d. Obviously time must have dimmed my memory.
    Ah, so it’s time that has done for your memory, eh? Not the beer.......?

Good point Kettering!!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)