+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Defence...thinking next season

Our Defence...thinking next season

Notwithstanding having an England call up goalkeeper, we have conceded the highest number of goals. We are in dire need of a solid central defensive leader. Bartley, despite being a great header and showing spirited commitment in recent games is positionally poor and sadly suspect to frequent unnecessary costly fouls. I’m not wishing to knock him, but to be honest he is a Championship bench player. No alternative substitute though.

At LB we have Conor on a 3 year contract...ok for the Championship. Gibbs’ contract expiring and is off.
    RCB we have AJ and O’Shea both on 2 year contracts. ok at a push ? (Ivan’s contract expiring)
    RB Furlong on 2 years and satisfactory. (Peltier contract expiring and will surely be released)
    DM Yoku...on loan / in and Field on loan / return. Desperately need the former to stay.

So that’s it.

Whoever picks up the reigns, unless we strengthen at the back, I am fearful of us shedding another record of goals against with Button / Palmer under great pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Notwithstanding having an England call up goalkeeper, we have conceded the highest number of goals. We are in dire need of a solid central defensive leader. Bartley, despite being a great header and showing spirited commitment in recent games is positionally poor and sadly suspect to frequent unnecessary costly fouls. I’m not wishing to knock him, but to be honest he is a Championship bench player. No alternative substitute though.

At LB we have Conor on a 3 year contract...ok for the Championship. Gibbs’ contract expiring and is off.
    RCB we have AJ and O’Shea both on 2 year contracts. ok at a push ? (Ivan’s contract expiring)
    RB Furlong on 2 years and satisfactory. (Peltier contract expiring and will surely be released)
    DM Yoku...on loan / in and Field on loan / return. Desperately need the former to stay.

So that’s it.

Whoever picks up the reigns, unless we strengthen at the back, I am fearful of us shedding another record of goals against with Button / Palmer under great pressure.

Agree with most of that. I rate Bartley more than AJ but yes he makes mistakes. Johnstone is a fantastic shot stopper but positional still poor like his drop kicks.

The midfield is the worrying part for me and pray Livermore and Sawyers don’t come back as they weren’t good enough in the last third of the championship and Bilic did not see it!

Can’t disagree baggieal buddy. I guess Harper may well be back as a midfield contender, but on previous performances would not justify selection in front of Livermore.

The midfield is much more an area for concern than the defence in my view.

I do think our defence have had a raw deal this season, especially 1st half of the season. They had no protection at all in front of them. And our midfield 3 right now are all on loan in Gallagher, Yokuslu and AMN And none are likely to be here next season.

Our defence, I think are decent championship players. I think our current back 4 would be okay next season but think our midfield needs a total revamp. Livermore and Sawyers should be moved on.

If we sell Johnstone, which looks very likely, why would Heaton prefer to go to Man. Utd., which is rumoured, to be second choice to either Henderson or De Ghea. Surely he'd be better off as number one at Albion. As for our defence I would agree that it is the midfield that is the biggest concern. Without the loanees, what have we got as holding midfielders? Not a lot! Livermore and Sawyers are just not up to it. With the exception of Field, who doesn't appear to want to return, the rest are more forward looking players. Yes, additions in other areas are important but this is our major concern.

[QUOTE=WBA123;39778348]The midfield is much more an area for concern than the defence in my view.

I do think our defence have had a raw deal this season, especially 1st half of the season. They had no protection at all in front of them. And our midfield 3 right now are all on loan in Gallagher, Yokuslu and AMN And none are likely to be here next season.

Our defence, I think are decent championship players. I think our current back 4 would be okay next season but think our midfield needs a total revamp. Livermore and Sawyers should be moved on.[/QUOTE

Could not agree more with you 123 on everything in your post!

Interesting differing views on the reason for our having let in so many goals.
    I accept the absence of decent midfield support, but still maintain that our back 4 must take the lion share of the responsibility. Whilst Johnno is not everyone’s favourite, he has gained an England call up.
    Too many goals conceded as a result of poor marking and set piece panic. We have been strapped by having very little defensive cover necessitating Philips’ repositioning.
    Im hoping to see some new blood at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Interesting differing views on the reason for our having let in so many goals.
    I accept the absence of decent midfield support, but still maintain that our back 4 must take the lion share of the responsibility. Whilst Johnno is not everyone’s favourite, he has gained an England call up.
    Too many goals conceded as a result of poor marking and set piece panic. We have been strapped by having very little defensive cover necessitating Philips’ repositioning.
    Im hoping to see some new blood at the back.

A Jonas equivalent would be nice Prando! To think once upon a time we had Jonas, Dawson and Jonny Evans - shows we have gone backwards.

A strong midfield services the forward line and protects the defense. Due to Livermore and Sawyers there was no protection just sheer penetration and the defenders then are hesitant. Oh for the days of Mulumbu and Yacob but the nearest we have now is Okay and Gallagher who will sadly depart.

I fear the worse because I don't feel any money will be forthcoming and more money will come in than go out

If anyone doesn’t believe that Sawyers and Livermore will bestride our midfield again next season I think they’re delusional.

They are the reset/default mode when we’re on a lower budget in the Championship.

Same for HRK and Phillips etc, etc, etc......you can expect the band to be put back together!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    If anyone doesn’t believe that Sawyers and Livermore will bestride our midfield again next season I think they’re delusional.

They are the reset/default mode when we’re on a lower budget in the Championship.

Same for HRK and Phillips etc, etc, etc......you can expect the band to be put back together!
    Aaaaarh, Please Noooooooo😩

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)