+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Motherwell match thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    What's the anti-Connolly lobby all about? He's only got to f'n breathe & it's a mistake. He blocked the shot from Long as any defender would & unfortunately there was a sliced deflection over Doohan. If he hadn't tried to block the shot you'd be after him. Give the boy a break. He seems to be our current Scott Fraser. Get off the bandwagon, think for yourself.
    Trying to block the shot wasn't the mistake here so it's weird he would get criticised for that, I agree. Just before that however his judgement lapsed as he tried to win a ball he was never going to which allowed Cole an easy turn and created space. Still, there was a lot of defending to do after this so it's not all his fault.

What's the anti-Connolly lobby all about? He's only got to f'n breathe & it's a mistake. He blocked the shot from Long as any defender would & unfortunately there was a sliced deflection over Doohan. If he hadn't tried to block the shot you'd be after him. Give the boy a break. He seems to be our current Scott Fraser. Get off the bandwagon, think for yourself.
    Anti Connolly lobby? Hardly. The guy made a massive error of judgement (not for the first, second or third time this season) which cost us a goal and points. It's allowed to be discussed.

As for the goal, I've watched it eight or nine times and I'm not seeing any Connolly deflection. As far as I'm concerned the ball was hit straight at the keeper who's got a weak hand to hit, its bounced under him and up into the net. I don't see any deflection by Connolly.

Yeah but he was on the pitch so it's his fault.
    Is his Rugby Park 'brainfart' (hate that word, better description is he slipped) 8 months ago going to condemn him to mockery forever, just as Col Donaldson's infamous airshot a few years earlier?
    We love to mock.

Its not just one instance of a mistake that has cost us though and it seems to me that we are loosing points all too often with one common denominator! I dont know why Cols air shot was brought into this as i said at the time, in that instance, the ball should never have been thrown to him. But that doesnt take away from the fact that in other games, Col was making mistakes that were costing us. It wasnt acceptable then, so why should it be acceptable now?

Off the top of my head I can think of the following Connolly brain farts - St Mirren 2nd leg play off equaliser, St Johnstone first game of this season, Killie’s third goal back in September, Wednesday night v Motherwell. That’s just off the top of my head. Indirectly I can think of many instances where games have changed with him either on or off the park. Again off the top of my head I can recollect the 6-2 where we suddenly tightened up after he left the pitch, the Killie 1-1 away back in March where from being comfortable we were suddenly all over the place after he came on for Fuchs, etc etc. Added to this the undoubted improvements we have seen in his absence both last season with Watson/Reynolds and this season with Edwards/Reynolds. It’s not an agenda against Connolly - there is firm substantial evidence that he is just not good enough for what we need. Yes, he runs about a lot and is committed to the cause but then again so would I be if given the opportunity. Doesn’t mean I’d be any good though.

Yeah but he was on the pitch so it's his fault.
    Is his Rugby Park 'brainfart' (hate that word, better description is he slipped) 8 months ago going to condemn him to mockery forever, just as Col Donaldson's infamous airshot a few years earlier?
    We love to mock.
    to be fair coll lost his footing too - probably because he was thinking about what take away he would have that night. Daft laddie who doesnt seem to have grown up much going by his and his brothers ****ter accounts

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)