+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Level 0 in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    Surely if its that popular there wud have been outcry about closing down courses.
    Nobody really bothered imo.
    There was a big outcry at the time by the local golfing fraternity but as usual the Dundee City Councillors did not listen.
    Camperdown Golf Course was well known throughout the U.K. and beyond as a challenging golf course.
    Two months ago there was another outcry when Dundee City Council in their infinite wisdom decided to restrict the number of season tickets sold for play at Caird Park golf course. A lot of golfers were unable to purchase a season ticket thanks to the council shutting down Camperdown golf course.
    A Council spokesperson stated that more season tickets for Caird Park golf course would be released in a couple of months time. Obviously the powers that be’ in Dundee City Council know nothing about playing golf in Scotland where it will be halfway through the main golfing season by the time Dundee City Council decide to put more season tickets on sale.
    The Dundee City Councillors should apologise for shutting Camperdown golf course and reopen the full 18 holes instead of a 9 hole golf course, an 18 hole putting green and a ‘state of the art’ 20 bay driving range.
    There are already golf driving ranges at Ballumbie golf course, Piperdam and next to the A90 Dundee to Perth dual carriageway shortly before the Horn restaurant.
    Therefore in my opinion there is no need for another golf driving range at Camperdown Park.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    There was a big outcry at the time by the local golfing fraternity but as usual the Dundee City Councillors did not listen.
    Camperdown Golf Course was well known throughout the U.K. and beyond as a challenging golf course.
    Two months ago there was another outcry when Dundee City Council in their infinite wisdom decided to restrict the number of season tickets sold for play at Caird Park golf course. A lot of golfers were unable to purchase a season ticket thanks to the council shutting down Camperdown golf course.
    A Council spokesperson stated that more season tickets for Caird Park golf course would be released in a couple of months time. Obviously the powers that be’ in Dundee City Council know nothing about playing golf in Scotland where it will be halfway through the main golfing season by the time Dundee City Council decide to put more season tickets on sale.
    The Dundee City Councillors should apologise for shutting Camperdown golf course and reopen the full 18 holes instead of a 9 hole golf course, an 18 hole putting green and a ‘state of the art’ 20 bay driving range.
    There are already golf driving ranges at Ballumbie golf course, Piperdam and next to the A90 Dundee to Perth dual carriageway shortly before the Horn restaurant.
    Therefore in my opinion there is no need for another golf driving range at Camperdown Park.

Possibly these are more popular than 18 holes of golf and would be busier though and be used more.

The driving range with tracking and all the bells and whistles will be more expensive than the golf.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I'm not working class, just class.
    Now I thought you'd be the type of guy who saw no class distinction.....classless if you like.😁

Thing is, the golf courses are managed by Leisure&Culture Dundee, an arms length organisation for VAT purposes. They are looking to let the golf facilities to a commercial organisation so it is no longer a cost to be borne by council taxes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by returnofrros View Post
    now i thought you'd be the type of guy who saw no class distinction.....classless if you like.��
    Tried to put laughy smileys on but just won't work.

Decent reply, like it.

Working class? Like you? Thought you voted Tory? Surely no working class person votes Tory?

Or is golf indeed a game played only by retirees and those with enough spare cash to do it rather than the typical working class person who struggles to survive under Tory government austerity?

I can just about afford to play golf but it's so bloody boring and pointless I just can't bring myself to do it. When I go for a walk it's with an objective in mind, not chasing a stupid ball that I've rattled with a bat then when I catch up with it gets rattled again with a different bat.

Nobody cares about Camperdown golf course - waste of public funds.
    You could say the same thing about the Waterfront development which was started in 2001 with it lasting 30 years. In 2001 the V & A building was already shown in the lavish document produced by Dundee City Council. Since then a building which nobody wanted has been constructed on Site 6 and the Slessor Gardens has been constructed. All the other sites earmarked for development are lying empty including the 400 berth marina at Victoria Dock which last year was been using for water skiing over jumps.
    Goodness knows how much public money has been squandered by the three partners of the Waterfront Development namely Dundee City Council, the Scottish Government and the European Union.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Thing is, the golf courses are managed by Leisure&Culture Dundee, an arms length organisation for VAT purposes. They are looking to let the golf facilities to a commercial organisation so it is no longer a cost to be borne by council taxes etc.
    Mibbe a cheaper project for Stan Ogren seeing as st andrews is a no go,doubt he wud recoup his 7 million on a 9 holer and crazy golf tho.If only jeremy was still alive he cuda bought the zoo as well.

You could say the same thing about the Waterfront development which was started in 2001 with it lasting 30 years. In 2001 the V & A building was already shown in the lavish document produced by Dundee City Council. Since then a building which nobody wanted has been constructed on Site 6 and the Slessor Gardens has been constructed. All the other sites earmarked for development are lying empty including the 400 berth marina at Victoria Dock which last year was been using for water skiing over jumps.
    Goodness knows how much public money has been squandered by the three partners of the Waterfront Development namely Dundee City Council, the Scottish Government and the European Union.
    Fundamentally different. The waterfront development is for the benefit all the people of Dundee (I wish I believed that). Camperdown golf course is for the very small number of people of Dundee and the surrounding area that play golf - if the council's spending money it should be spent on everyone not just the old and rich.

You do understand the meaning of both artisan and sport don't you?

Can a sport be artisan? Not sure. Can golf be considered either a sport or artisan? Neither.

Better description for golf would be 'pointless game'. Like tiddlywinks in many ways, or maybe twister.
    There are several artisan golf clubs.
    Perth Artisan golf club and Arbroath Artisan golf club before it merged with the ‘toffs’ Arbroath Golf Club.
    Paying money to sit in Dens Park screaming and shouting at people kicking a football about could also be classed as pointless.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)