+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shadow Self...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Football fans think they can pay their $$ and bellow all sorts of disgraceful abuse at players/managers. Typically it takes an interview from the likes of JOB for certain people to cringe in embarrassment and retract the bile they have been spewing.
    That’s so common people saying they earn a lot of money so should take it, how on earth does that make sense to anyone. I am always very mindful of not putting anything negative about individual players because a, as some probably read bits on here and know it could be hurtful and b, how’s it helping Notts overall if you’re destroying players confidence.

I think there's two sides to this. The first is personal abuse should be unacceptable online, I'm sick of the companies letting this happen especially all the racial abuse. They're OK making money on it and not paying tax then making the right noises, do something about it then. We all agree that using language like that about people online are a disgrace.

I don't think though that footballers can have too many complaints about people saying they're past it when the team they play for are playing the worst and in the worst position the fans have seen. They're hardly going to be all over with praise and as soon as the players pulled their fingers out then they get praise. Comes with the job I'm afraif

This is whats annoys me, when people do well they love the praise but when they don't and they're told not good enough then they get mad. I'm not sure what people said to JOB but if it was his legs have gone etc then show us we're wrong which he did.

Also like JOB said those comments made him play better to prove people wrong, IB did it with RR and look at him now. On the gods of snooker hendrys manager used to give him loads of **** and look at him fly. Sometimes you need a kick up the arse. Again though I'm not condoning social media abuse but saying someone's legs have gone isn't an issue for me.

The JOB interview was the first player interview I’ve watched for a while as I don’t like watching them when we’re doing badly. (Talk is cheap etc)

I was quite struck at his views about the online comments he’s read. He was affected by them and as Charlie Slater said, you wouldn’t have thought he’d be the type of person to take any notice.

I’ve said on a few occasions that I thought he was past it and I do feel a bit guilty about it. I don't know whether comments like that count as abuse or whether it should go with the territory for footballers who are getting a decent wage for doing something they love. I don’t suppose I’d tell him he was past it to his face.

Legs had gone, awful finisher, can't head a ball , couldn't catch a cold are all fine all football based criticism of a footballer. But don't kid ourselves that it stops anywhere near there just look at the abuse Ben Turner after a couple of high profile mistakes and shockingly bad games! It went way past that.

If contained to 90 mins once or twice a week like back in the pre internet days I'm sure there would be very few complaints. Abuse to players , managers, officials has been commonplace and part of football and the terrace culture. However nowadays it's 24/7 , it's on multiple media, there is of course no right to reply (as we know that doesn't end well when the player or manager answers back, it's a no win for them). It must be hard to avoid unless you adopt zero exposure.

It's easier to go too far behind a computer screen or on your mobile than it is when sat at Meadow Lane or stood on an away terrace surrounded by people.

What a refreshing and heartening thread this is overall. Thanks for starting it TSANHO. Real food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    This is whats annoys me, when people do well they love the praise but when they don't and they're told not good enough then they get mad. I'm not sure what people said to JOB but if it was his legs have gone etc then show us we're wrong which he did.

I would imagine the “advice” he received wasn’t, Hey Jim, your legs have gone.” It would have been a collection of bi-polar oiks gobbing off with their poison. Therein lies the issue.
    Last edited by ForeignLegion; 13-05-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    It went way past that.
    I never see any Facebook, Twitter etc. so don't know what's written there...can you give a flavour of the type of thing said?

Emotions can run high, but NCM almost always stays the right-side of the line I'd say - although it wouldn't always make great reading for the subjects, that's for sure. Who knows, it might be that some of the football opinions expressed on sites like this sting more than the mindless abuse/slander, whatever is it that appears on the main SM platforms - I don't know.

If so, then I'd go back to what I said at the top of the post - the football opinions expressed shouldn't be allowed to have any impact at all. I'd imagine most posters start from the premise that those comments are throwaway and basically worthless. The anonymity then underlines the worthlessness. But it's all about fans exchanging opinions right? If not, let's just change the forum name from 'Views from the Kop' to 'Newspeak from the Kop'

Some great thoughtful posts above like Old Pie's. Sites like this are like one big massive pub, ones that players and managers probably wouldn't enter in a million years to avoid being bothered by wall-to-wall, pissed up weirdos. They should treat the SM sites with the same disdain!

Interesting thread with some interesting points of view. From the little I've seen of Notts related social media, this site is streets ahead in terms of interesting, well thought out, well articulated posts. Especially if you filter out the 10% or so of dross.

Anyway, this seems like a good time to suggest watching a lecture about Jungian psychology and the shadow.

https://youtu.be/CFHZyse4VGw

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast