+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shadow Self...

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I never see any Facebook, Twitter etc. so don't know what's written there...can you give a flavour of the type of thing said?.

I'd rather not ac, safe to say it's way worse than 95% written on NCM, impossible to tidy up. Thankfully NCM is far classier and superior to the majority you see on twitter/facebook
    I'd imagine most posters start from the premise that those comments are throwaway and basically worthless. The anonymity then underlines the worthlessness....[/QUOTE]

If only that was the case, I admire your positive outlook .

Instead I think often the people saying these (usually anger or frustration fuelled) ridiculous OTT comments believe every single word of them at the time they write it.

I suspect some view what's written on NCM as gospel and take it all a little too seriously#viva

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Interesting thread with some interesting points of view. From the little I've seen of Notts related social media, this site is streets ahead in terms of interesting, well thought out, well articulated posts. Especially if you filter out the 10% or so of dross.
    A large part of that I would put down to the excellent moderation on here where transgressions are gently nudged in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Instead I think often the people saying these (usually anger or frustration fuelled) ridiculous OTT comments believe every single word of them at the time they write it.

I suspect some view what's written on NCM as gospel and take it all a little too seriously#viva
    Well gawd help 'em.
    Guess I can fill in the blanks myself about the kind of stuff you're talking about. I never ever find myself thinking I might be missing something not going on FB, twitter etc...

Great thread and some thought-provoking posts.

It is clear that some post things they wouldn't say to someone's face. But there is another problem there. This then becomes acceptable and accepted as the norm by some. The use of swearing is a good example. There was a time when certain words were unacceptable by the vast majority of society. Most people would not have sworn in front of a lady. But what has happened? It's now acceptable, the ladies are not offended or protected but are the ones who often use it.

My views of bad language are well known on here - I don't think there is any need. But now, certain words are used frequently with changed spellings used to get round the filter.

The progression will be that what is seen as acceptable on SM will be picked up by kids, they will see it as normal and it will come into normal usage verbally, if not already.

'It's only a word' I hear .... if that's the case, and it's 'only' a word, why use it?

As I was told on here .... 'It makes me look big'.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Great thread and some thought-provoking posts.

It is clear that some post things they wouldn't say to someone's face. But there is another problem there. This then becomes acceptable and accepted as the norm by some. The use of swearing is a good example. There was a time when certain words were unacceptable by the vast majority of society. Most people would not have sworn in front of a lady. But what has happened? It's now acceptable, the ladies are not offended or protected but are the ones who often use it.

My views of bad language are well known on here - I don't think there is any need. But now, certain words are used frequently with changed spellings used to get round the filter.

The progression will be that what is seen as acceptable on SM will be picked up by kids, they will see it as normal and it will come into normal usage verbally, if not already.

'It's only a word' I hear .... if that's the case, and it's 'only' a word, why use it?

As I was told on here .... 'It makes me look big'.
    Swear words have always moved on from generation to generation, and the next generation always goes on to try and shock the last. I bet most folk don't even know the origin of "bloody" and my Dad would give me an earful if I said that. Damn was about as much as was permitted.

Even now I find some words grate and I won't use them, but an interesting test is to see how a foreigner treats swear words - because they lose all nuances in another language. Most swear words that are common place now on social media or even the media have lost their impact through overuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    I would imagine the “advice” he received wasn’t, Hey Jim, your legs have gone.” It would have been a collection of bi-polar oiks gobbing off with their poison. Therein lies the issue.
    True, I'm not on those but I've seen comments in the past and then there's the race stuff. I think though as a player if someone is giving you personal abuse then you must realise that these people are idiots and not take it on board even though that is hard. I'm not sure what JOB was on about, if he meant serious personal abuse then totally not on, if he's mad cause people said he's past it when we were playing crap then use it as motivation but understand why it's being said, we don't have football radars numbers so we can only judge on what we see.

I'll tell you,honestly,I will love it if someone goes Cantona on 'em.LOVE IT !

I don't think this is off-topic at all. It's meta but very on-topic IMO.

When your team loses it's understandable to be frustrated, but just as it's inappropriate to scream at people in the real world, it's not appropriate, in my opinion, to lash out online. Fair play to criticise a behaviour, but name-calling and casting aspersions on peoples' professionalism is too much.

I also think we tend to vastly underestimate how complicated things are when we post. Most of what happens on a football pitch is down to physical ability of individual organic beings (which is prone to fluctuate quite a bit), psychological factors (most of which are entirely subconscious) and a fair whack of randomness. But criticisms often boil down to ludicrous statements like "we lost because X didn't do Y". If we'd won because of some other random chance, you wouldn't have even noticed X not doing Y a lot of the time.

I sincerely hope the players and Ian do NOT read what's posted online. I gave up reading criticism of my work by the general public a long time ago because it's just an avalanche of poorly thought out and ignorant negativity. You just can't get through a day with your motivation intact if you spend any amount of time wading through... that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    I don't think this is off-topic at all. It's meta but very on-topic IMO.

When your team loses it's understandable to be frustrated, but just as it's inappropriate to scream at people in the real world, it's not appropriate, in my opinion, to lash out online. Fair play to criticise a behaviour, but name-calling and casting aspersions on peoples' professionalism is too much.

I also think we tend to vastly underestimate how complicated things are when we post. Most of what happens on a football pitch is down to physical ability of individual organic beings (which is prone to fluctuate quite a bit), psychological factors (most of which are entirely subconscious) and a fair whack of randomness. But criticisms often boil down to ludicrous statements like "we lost because X didn't do Y". If we'd won because of some other random chance, you wouldn't have even noticed X not doing Y a lot of the time.

I sincerely hope the players and Ian do NOT read what's posted online. I gave up reading criticism of my work by the general public a long time ago because it's just an avalanche of poorly thought out and ignorant negativity. You just can't get through a day with your motivation intact if you spend any amount of time wading through... that.
    Your third paragraph is an excellent explanation. Love that.

I've probably made the odd post on here that I've regretted on occasions over the years, but I can't remember saying anything online that I wouldn't be prepared to repeat face to face. I don't do any social media because I am aware that it can get very extreme and toxic, and whatever people think of me on NCM that's not something I want to be involved in.
    Last edited by Elite_Pie; 13-05-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast