+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Shadow Self...

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Your third paragraph is an excellent explanation. Love that.
    The last paragraph makes me think that he's not very good at his job!

Or does that constitute online abuse?

Our tough tackling, no nonsense, true pro, central midfielder said it best near the start of the interview when he said:

"They know what they are mate".

You can fill in the blank yourselves.

I've always liked Mr O'Brien but I like him even more after that interview. We sing off the same hymn sheet on this matter.

Angry fan reaction, potentially read by players, didn't begin with online social media. People used to write letters to the Football Post. I stumbled over some the other day from 1968 after a 0-3 home to defeat to Hartlepool in which we also missed a penalty, one letter described the team as a disgrace and another that it was the worst performance he'd ever seen.

I'm also reminded of an interview Beatle John Lennon gave to Rolling Stone magazine in 1970. It read like an absolute tirade of hate. A lot of people were upset by it at the time, including people who worked for the band and it was quoted for years as evidence of how angry and bitter Lennon was. About 20 years after he was murdered, an audio tape of the entire interview surfaced and revealed him to be quite relaxed and measured and he was just saying whatever came into his head, as you do, in a normal conversation with a journalist with whom he'd become quite close to and hung out with. Words are not reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The last paragraph makes me think that he's not very good at his job!

Or does that constitute online abuse?
    I don't think it's online abuse, but it's a perfect example of the kind of ignorant statement I'm referring to, so thanks for that. You've no idea WHAT I do but you think I'm bad at it based on a post I made on a football forum. Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Angry fan reaction, potentially read by players, didn't begin with online social media. People used to write letters to the Football Post. I stumbled over some the other day from 1968 after a 0-3 home to defeat to Hartlepool in which we also missed a penalty, one letter described the team as a disgrace and another that it was the worst performance he'd ever seen.

I'm also reminded of an interview Beatle John Lennon gave to Rolling Stone magazine in 1970. It read like an absolute tirade of hate. A lot of people were upset by it at the time, including people who worked for the band and it was quoted for years as evidence of how angry and bitter Lennon was. About 20 years after he was murdered, an audio tape of the entire interview surfaced and revealed him to be quite relaxed and measured and he was just saying whatever came into his head, as you do, in a normal conversation with a journalist with whom he'd become quite close to and hung out with. Words are not reality.
    You are surely not suggesting that what was printed in the Football Post over 50 years ago can be compared to what gets posted today on social media? The kind of personal posts about individual players that we see on here, ridiculous childish nicknames etc would never have been published.

You seem to say that you can just say whatever comes into your head and it won't matter because it's not reality. It does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    It’s a funny thing, the internet and how it makes us behave, I’m sure it’d have fascinated Carl Jung and those of his ilk. Jim O’Briens comments post match regarding online abuse/criticism made me think about my own recent and past borderline abuse of IB, and various other posters that I’ve crossed online.

It does make you think, how often would we say things in person that’d we’d flippantly post online towards other people, myself included...it doesn’t paint a pretty picture of what is going on behind the scenes of ones own consciousness, the Shadow Self, as it sometimes known as. Perhaps reading and being more aware of what we have posted would be a useful tool in facing our own problems.

This should probably have been an OT, but It does have some relevance to Jim O’Brien....I hope the players and staff don’t read this board, but I’m going to try and be more aware of what I’m compelled to write, and why, from now on.

I've seen him Boll ock another player on the pitch when it was JOB that had made the mistake and it was he himself who was at fault.
    just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    I don't think it's online abuse, but it's a perfect example of the kind of ignorant statement I'm referring to, so thanks for that. You've no idea WHAT I do but you think I'm bad at it based on a post I made on a football forum. Classic!
    You have my best wishes on a speedy recovery from your sense of humour bypass operation.

ps just like my earlier post this is a jokey statement, nothing more. Sincere apologies to anyone who reads it as an ignorant statement.

Needs 5,000 fans shouting " what a load of rubbish" to get the message across without profanity. There again, " who's the b@stard dressed in black" did reverberate from time to time! Personal attacks nowadays seem extreme which is why I don't do tw@atter etc.

Treat other people as you would expect to be treated yourself.

Social media is toxic, this board can be toxic. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but abuse is unacceptable in any form.

I think the worst thing I've ever said on this board is that Doyle needs to be dropped (which isn't abuse, it's just an opinion).

Now, for me, he's in contention for player of the season.

Just shows what we know doesn't it?

EDIT: I did call Durham and Prophet names at one point (a long time ago) but not proud of that and apologised at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Treat other people as you would expect to be treated yourself.

Social media is toxic, this board can be toxic. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but abuse is unacceptable in any form.

I think the worst thing I've ever said on this board is that Doyle needs to be dropped (which isn't abuse, it's just an opinion).

Now, for me, he's in contention for player of the season.

Just shows what we know doesn't it?

EDIT: I did call Durham and Prophet names at one point (a long time ago) but not proud of that and apologised at the time.
    with what's gone on recently I'm not sure what you can class as abuse or fair criticism.
    from what I can remember seeing posted, the worst comment I really believe was his legs have gone.im not sure if that was in reference to him as an individual or that him and Doyle were to old to form a 3 man midfield in this division or any division for that matter.
    Now is that bullying , fair criticism , fact or absolute rubbish. let the facts and figures decide but he has been a constant performer in a team that got relegated and failed to get promotion?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast