+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shadow Self...

The Shadow Self...

It’s a funny thing, the internet and how it makes us behave, I’m sure it’d have fascinated Carl Jung and those of his ilk. Jim O’Briens comments post match regarding online abuse/criticism made me think about my own recent and past borderline abuse of IB, and various other posters that I’ve crossed online.

It does make you think, how often would we say things in person that’d we’d flippantly post online towards other people, myself included...it doesn’t paint a pretty picture of what is going on behind the scenes of ones own consciousness, the Shadow Self, as it sometimes known as. Perhaps reading and being more aware of what we have posted would be a useful tool in facing our own problems.

This should probably have been an OT, but It does have some relevance to Jim O’Brien....I hope the players and staff don’t read this board, but I’m going to try and be more aware of what I’m compelled to write, and why, from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    It’s a funny thing, the internet and how it makes us behave, I’m sure it’d have fascinated Carl Jung and those of his ilk. Jim O’Briens comments post match regarding online abuse/criticism made me think about my own recent and past borderline abuse of IB, and various other posters that I’ve crossed online.

It does make you think, how often would we say things in person that’d we’d flippantly post online towards other people, myself included...it doesn’t paint a pretty picture of what is going on behind the scenes of ones own consciousness, the Shadow Self, as it sometimes known as. Perhaps reading and being more aware of what we have posted would be a useful tool in facing our own problems.

This should probably have been an OT, but It does have some relevance to Jim O’Brien....I hope the players and staff don’t read this board, but I’m going to try and be more aware of what I’m compelled to write, and why, from now on.
    Great post, it constantly amazes me what people put on social media, the vile down to the inconsiderate comments. I can remember what I’d class as just inconsiderate comment on Notts Twitters, Mccory had been sidelined for more months (he was devastated according to NA), couple of people put he will struggle to get back in now with DKE playing there, knowingly or unknowingly that Mccorys was copied in. The reason I highlight this is that this isn’t vile aggressive abuse but probably had an awful effect on him at the time I.e so what you’re injured for more months we don’t need you anyway, so we can only imagine how it feels to get racist, ***ist, homophobic abuse etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post

Yeah, it would be good if the worst of it was reined in.
    But I think not caring about this (or better still, not even reading) should be part and parcel of a sports' professional's psychological make up, especially these days.

I got this line from watching an interview with ex Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich - 'what other people think of you is none of your goddamned business'....the next step after realising this is the liberating one

Interesting topic and an interesting interview where two things Jim said stood out.

"They know what they are mate".

Pitchforks? That's my guess, pitchforks! Or maybe something a little harsher from the Scotsman.

Welcome Jim#mission

"You don't go looking for it but if you see it it's not nice"

I imagine it take a tremendous amount of self discipline and restraint not to see the comments as comedian, podcaster and broadcaster Joe Rogan adopts, where he chooses not to read any of the comments due to the overwhelming unfiltered negative bias. That seems the correct choice especially when you are as crazily popular as he is due to his excellent and always entertaining podcast. He doesn't want that unhealthy negativity in his life.

Nobody should be surprised that players read NCM, Facebook, Twitter or any other media platform linked to the club. Nor should anyone be surprised that it has an impact on the person it's aimed at.

It's part and parcel of football or any sport or entertainment industry that's in the public eye and is obviously alien to most of us who aren't so visible to the general public.

Without doubt it comes with the territory for a footballer, the difference being they would only experience the adulation, criticism and all out abuse on match days in the good old days. The internet followed by hugely popular social media has changed that forever. If it's football related criticism then I see no problem it may even have a positive impact and spur the player on to prove the doubters wrong and train harder etc. However sadly as we all know the line albeit subjective and varying that is deemed acceptable gets crossed by the same people far too often due to the safety net that is the internet and the privacy it offers.

Needless abuse, bad language and personal attacks are far too common all whether it's at the owners, manager, players or fellow Notts fans.

This problem obviously goes far beyond this message board, which is just another example of the global issue#mission.

Two good interviews following a great performance and result. Let's hope Notts produce another positive performance and result against Bromley which should put a lid on the OTT comments that clearly cross the line.

Football fans think they can pay their $$ and bellow all sorts of disgraceful abuse at players/managers. Typically it takes an interview from the likes of JOB for certain people to cringe in embarrassment and retract the bile they have been spewing.
    Last edited by ForeignLegion; 13-05-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Before I logged in I was thinking about this and as an old school person it is something that crosses my mind often.

Social Media is not social media, it should be called anti-social media. It may have started off that way, a means of keeping in touch with friends, but that is not how Social Media companies (SMC) make money. The user is the product, the more the SMCs can keep you engaged the more advertising they sell and the richer they get. So arguments, contentious statements etc etc work very much in their favour.

But now there still remains two questions:

1) Why post on Social media?

Do you really stand in the middle of town and shout out some message? No, well why do it on the internet? If you want to have banter and chat with your friends then email still exists, or just stick to close groups on the popular platforms (remembering that for instance WhatsApp and Facebook are now going to start sharing - they probably have been for a long time - some data).

2) Why read social media?

Why pay attention to what some stranger has said? Why let it bother you? What are their motives in saying something? To look big? To look hard? To look "in the know"? (Where is he btw?)

https://xkcd.com/386/

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/07/so...-the-internet/

And what is worse is that the some of the behaviour seen on anti-social media seems to have spread into real life such as some of the sub-human behaviour seen towards the Trews, extending even to their kids.

And if you are going to use SM make sure you know how to use it properly - as AH didn't much to his cost.

The brothers Reedtz seem to have the right idea providing they do engage from time to time and not hide in an ivory tower as some owners of some clubs appear to do.

And having read what I have written I don't know why I'm posting. Maybe I feel some sense of community here and so don't view this as much as the more popular SM sites, even though really it is. And there are certainly a few posters I'd rather not meet. They might be quite different in real life.

Perhaps anonymity should be removed from all public postings. But then that would be bad for SM business and we couldn't have that could we?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Before I logged in I was thinking about this and as an old school person it is something that crosses my mind often.

Social Media is not social media, it should be called anti-social media. It may have started off that way, a means of keeping in touch with friends, but that is not how Social Media companies (SMC) make money. The user is the product, the more the SMCs can keep you engaged the more advertising they sell and the richer they get. So arguments, contentious statements etc etc work very much in their favour.

But now there still remains two questions:

1) Why post on Social media?

Do you really stand in the middle of town and shout out some message? No, well why do it on the internet? If you want to have banter and chat with your friends then email still exists, or just stick to close groups on the popular platforms (remembering that for instance WhatsApp and Facebook are now going to start sharing - they probably have been for a long time - some data).

2) Why read social media?

Why pay attention to what some stranger has said? Why let it bother you? What are their motives in saying something? To look big? To look hard? To look "in the know"? (Where is he btw?)

https://xkcd.com/386/

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/07/so...-the-internet/

And what is worse is that the some of the behaviour seen on anti-social media seems to have spread into real life such as some of the sub-human behaviour seen towards the Trews, extending even to their kids.

And if you are going to use SM make sure you know how to use it properly - as AH didn't much to his cost.

The brothers Reedtz seem to have the right idea providing they do engage from time to time and not hide in an ivory tower as some owners of some clubs appear to do.

And having read what I have written I don't know why I'm posting. Maybe I feel some sense of community here and so don't view this as much as the more popular SM sites, even though really it is. And there are certainly a few posters I'd rather not meet. They might be quite different in real life.

Perhaps anonymity should be removed from all public postings. But then that would be bad for SM business and we couldn't have that could we?
    Excellent^^^

If any of you have got Netflix I recommend watching The Social Dilemma, very interesting.

Here's a trailer . . .

https://youtu.be/uaaC57tcci0

Tsanho, I know exactly what you mean and like you I have been guilty of saying stuff that in the main I probably wouldn’t face to face. What I would also say is that some stuff I put on is tongue in cheek but it’s impossible for the reader to gauge the tone.
    These social media companies have capacity to do what they want. I had a warning from FB for stating ‘All Londoners are idiots’ during the last 12 months - from memory it was in response to a picture of soho being absolutely rammed during the summers restrictions. To me it was an innocuous comment but FB warned it fell in to their racism category. So it begs the question if I can get a warning for that why are FB for example not doing more to protect people from much more serious abuse.
    All these companies know who we are and where we are. More must be done.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    If any of you have got Netflix I recommend watching The Social Dilemma, very interesting.

Here's a trailer . . .

https://youtu.be/uaaC57tcci0
    Excellent and frankly frightening documentary. Highly recommended linked to the above SM comments.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast