+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Shadow Self...

The best thing I ever did was deleting Facebook Inst and Twitter off my phone. I don't look at them anymore its fairly tedious and I can get all the football news I need from elsewhere. Speak to my mates on Whats App etc. My wife and I made a concious decision to delete social media so it sets a better example to our kids and so far so good. Can't really tell them not to use it if I am on it. There is an awful lot of clap trap out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Treat other people as you would expect to be treated yourself.

Social media is toxic, this board can be toxic. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but abuse is unacceptable in any form.

I think the worst thing I've ever said on this board is that Doyle needs to be dropped (which isn't abuse, it's just an opinion).

Now, for me, he's in contention for player of the season.

Just shows what we know doesn't it?

EDIT: I did call Durham and Prophet names at one point (a long time ago) but not proud of that and apologised at the time.
    #mission

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    with what's gone on recently I'm not sure what you can class as abuse or fair criticism.
    from what I can remember seeing posted, the worst comment I really believe was his legs have gone.im not sure if that was in reference to him as an individual or that him and Doyle were to old to form a 3 man midfield in this division or any division for that matter.
    Now is that bullying , fair criticism , fact or absolute rubbish. let the facts and figures decide but he has been a constant performer in a team that got relegated and failed to get promotion?
    I like Doyle. More importantly IB likes Doyle. Like EVERY player in world football he has his limitations. I suspect if you asked every NL manager if they would want a Doyle in their side they would answer yes.
    Doyle like all the players seems to have gone up a gear in the last few weeks and for me their is still life in the old dog yet.
    My personal opinion is that IF we go up this season #mission would be achieved for Doyle and he would happily retire having helped get us back to where we feel we belong (as a minimum).
    Finally, if Doyle had seen comments on here about him, he is long enough in the tooth to shrug it off. Someone like Ruben on the other hand would possibly struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I like Doyle. More importantly IB likes Doyle. Like EVERY player in world football he has his limitations. I suspect if you asked every NL manager if they would want a Doyle in their side they would answer yes.
    Doyle like all the players seems to have gone up a gear in the last few weeks and for me their is still life in the old dog yet.
    My personal opinion is that IF we go up this season #mission would be achieved for Doyle and he would happily retire having helped get us back to where we feel we belong (as a minimum).
    Finally, if Doyle had seen comments on here about him, he is long enough in the tooth to shrug it off. Someone like Ruben on the other hand would possibly struggle.
    Ffs dont mention mission a certain someone will be all over it like a cheap suit..!

If you're not good at your job your work colleagues, customers and managers probably discuss this behind your back or tell you to your face in terms of feedback etc. As I say personal abuse not called for is wrong, criticism of performance comes with the job especially as a footballer. If you can't handle that then don't look at twitter etc, I don't think people on NCM are half as bad as the people I've seen on there for abuse so think it'll be that he's referring to, not on here as can't remember anyone saying anything nasty about him. He's a good professional and glad to have him in the squad.

Abuse and personal insults noticeably worse on other platforms than here.

On NCM the abuse and personal insults are far more common aimed at other posters rather than players and manager.

99.9% of people online manage to delete scam emails from Nigerian royalty or swipe away mobile texts from a bank you don't have an account with and ignore it. Idiots spouting abuse on twitter etc. should be no more difficult to skim over and I suspect that was largely the case until legacy media began to make a huge issue of it, out of pure self-interest seeing that social media has played a very big part in their downfall and undermined their reputation as a trusted source of information. It suits governments too to use online abuse as an excuse to clamp down on free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    99.9% of people online manage to delete scam emails from Nigerian royalty or swipe away mobile texts from a bank you don't have an account with and ignore it. Idiots spouting abuse on twitter etc. should be no more difficult to skim over and I suspect that was largely the case until legacy media began to make a huge issue of it, out of pure self-interest seeing that social media has played a very big part in their downfall and undermined their reputation as a trusted source of information. It suits governments too to use online abuse as an excuse to clamp down on free speech.
    For a moment there I thought you were saying that personal abuse on social media is no worse, and as easy to deal with, as a scam email from a foreign country.

That would obviously be ridiculous wouldn't it? There is a much easier way for people to deal with abuse which is posted - all that it needs is for the abuse to stop. To say 'ignore it' puts the blame on the receiver if they don't (ie It's your fault for reading it). Much better imo to say 'stop it' to the sender.

I can't say that I have seen online abuse from our Government - maybe you have some examples?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    To say 'ignore it' puts the blame on the receiver if they don't (ie It's your fault for reading it).
    Why do think they do it? To be ignored or to get attention? They're certainly getting the attention they crave now that they are continuously being told that their actions land and have a very great impact on the receiver. These people now have a great deal of importance placed upon them, people that were rightly dismissed as fools until around 9 months ago.

The people I feel sorry for are those with genuine mental health issues who live on their own, have no family or have been disowned and have nobody to turn to. I am not going to waste my energy caring about wealthy celebrities and footballers jumping on the latest #metoo bandwagon to satisfy their insatiable appetite for strokes to their egos, the kind of people who are every bit as much the attention seekers as the idiots they attract.

Nobody is putting a gun to the head of these celebs to be on public forums, or anybody else for that matter. I do not care either for those that seize the latest opportunity to polish their virtual halos by layering on the sympathy to prove what good kind thoughtful people they are. The whole charade sickens me, but as with everything else in this ball park, people will get bored of it and move on to the next event in the Victim Olympics whilst the genuine sufferers of this world continue to be neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Ffs dont mention mission a certain someone will be all over it like a cheap suit..!
    Who might that be? ‘Lol’

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast