+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Retained list

Retained list

So, 3 released. Powell and Nolan were totally expected, but hoped Lancashire would have been offered a new contract, prefer him over Beckles (didn't think that I would have said that at the beginning of the season).

No great surprises for me. I suspect Lancashire’s age (32 vs 29 for Beckles) and injury record counted against him; of course it doesn’t mean that Beckles, Porter et al will accept anew deal. I would want Ainley and Lundstram for sure and, as teammoo suggests, if Omar plays like he did before Christmas he’s well worth keeping I think. Wintle would be top of my list to keep, but it seems that’s highly unlikely and the prospects for retaining Ports and Griffiths must be good.

If all this comes to pass then the manager may not have the sort of recruitment headache that others will and some might expect us to have. We will need at least 3 defenders to replace Perry, Pixie, Nolan and Lancashire from the squad that started the season and a replacement for Powell. Then it depends who leaves and getting in legs to replace them. Which is not to say that any newcomers will be guaranteed starters if some of Offord, Adebisi, Lundstram, Griffiths and Sass-Davies prove up to the mark.

I suspect the Beckles offer is just the one we knew had been made and he hasn't accepted, but hasn't been withdrawn or outright rejected - yet. Given Ports lives in Cheshire why would he want to move far at this stage of his career, expect he'll sign. Would expect Lundstram and Booth to sign too. Cal Ainley said deal was more or less agreed but nothing since ...

No shocks or surprises really. Just routine that offers to Wintle and Beccles remain in place. I'm sure DA has a deadline in place. Lancashire never did enough for me to warrant an extension and confirmed it with his final day performance. Ainley sounded positive so I'm surprised we've heard nothing. Surely, all the others may want to sign. Porter may not want to move house but there are plenty of local options, if he wants to change club. I'm more concerned that we may lose another couple of players who are still contracted.

Apart from Ainley, is anyone else holding out on extending contracts?

Not sure, but all of the others, Ainley included, would attract a fee as they are under 24 and came through the Academy.