+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assistant Manager longer term

Assistant Manager longer term

Doyle has been a key link in moving to the backroom so far imo.

Would you employ him as full time assistant next season?

My slight concern is with him still being a player...has he got the contacts of who is available etc...compared to an older hand who knows the managers and agents well? (Or does that work in his favour that he knows more players still in the game?) Obviously we've got F Radar, but surely there is room for the previous knowledge as well and with IB not knowing the lower leagues as much, does he need a veteran assistant (not the laughing clown before anyone suggests him for a third spell lol)

I'm leaning towards keeping Doyle myself as Assistant, but we shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    Doyle has been a key link in moving to the backroom so far imo.

Would you employ him as full time assistant next season?

My slight concern is with him still being a player...has he got the contacts of who is available etc...compared to an older hand who knows the managers and agents well? (Or does that work in his favour that he knows more players still in the game?) Obviously we've got F Radar, but surely there is room for the previous knowledge as well and with IB not knowing the lower leagues as much, does he need a veteran assistant (not the laughing clown before anyone suggests him for a third spell lol)

I'm leaning towards keeping Doyle myself as Assistant, but we shall see...
    Up to IB really, no point if he doesn’t feel it works well as a partnership, if it goes well then it would seem a great option. I think he’s probably in his best run of form as a Notts player to be honest, so happy to retain him as a player either way, albeit we shouldn’t be relying on him to play every single game like last season.

I’m not sure whether having an assistant with ‘contacts’ ends up being particularly useful. You just end up with players signed on recommendations and whispers rather than properly assessed.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Up to IB really, no point if he doesn’t feel it works well as a partnership, if it goes well then it would seem a great option. I think he’s probably in his best run of form as a Notts player to be honest, so happy to retain him as a player either way, albeit we shouldn’t be relying on him to play every single game like last season.

I’m not sure whether having an assistant with ‘contacts’ ends up being particularly useful. You just end up with players signed on recommendations and whispers rather than properly assessed.

If it all works well for the remainder of this season, I would like to see Doyler as a permanent appt, cos I do believe A player/asst provides a nice link between players and management. But who's to say he'll carry on playing next season? As for Doyler having decent 'contacts', I'm not too sure what sort of recruitment system/model we will be using in the future?

Personally I've always liked Doyle and often fought his corner on here. As Jacob says it's entirely up to IB but I do think Doyle would be a great No.2 for now and would see him stepping up to head coach/manager somewhere at some point in the future. IB would benefit from Doyle's playing experience and relationship with players and Doyle would benefit from IB's tactical knowledge so probably compliment themselves very well.

It's interesting that Doyle is now coming off in games when we know the game is won to allow younger players to get some playing time.

Wouldn't be against keeping Doyle, but also wouldn't rule out the old switcheroo of letting Enzio go and bringing MR back in!

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Wouldn't be against keeping Doyle, but also wouldn't rule out the old switcheroo of letting Enzio go and bringing MR back in!
    After what's happened I think MR might have lost his edge which was that of the bad cop. I doubt if he would say boo to a goose in case there were ramifications nowdays

With Doyle’s personality I think he’s the perfect foil for Burchnall and vice versa Doyle could learn so much off him in regards to coaching and tactics. We can all be 100% certain is that Doyle would give everything he possibly could to the role as he has to his career and other clubs do a deffo yes for me outside looking in.

We still need an experienced DOF, that’s the missing bit for me.

Do Sutton, Torquay or Hartlepool have experienced DOF’s?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    We still need an experienced DOF, that’s the missing bit for me.
    To do what? DoF at our level is a pretty pointless luxury IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast