+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: First Notts match and season results

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    My first time at the Lane was October 14th 1950 versus Luton Town 34,000 in the Lane that day. My Dad who used to watch Notts Home and Away when he could scrounge a lift sat me on his shoulders in the old Spion Kop as it used to be known it was a 2-2 draw with Sewell and Johnston scoring for the Pies.
    That day was the best day in my life at that time, to be taken to see the Pies by my Dad he started my love affair with Notts the best thing he ever gave to me. It was the first of many days at the Lane with him, the crowds were amazing back then and the smell of the rubbing oils from the players when the came close by as you watched from behind the white wooden fence great times.
    Thanks Dad, I am sure he would still be going today down to the Lane if alive, but like most of us saddened by our demise.
    The smell I remember was from Bitterlings when the wind was in the wrong direction!

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    The smell I remember was from Bitterlings when the wind was in the wrong direction!
    Are you sure you are not confusing it with the smell from the Temple of Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I really cant remember. I do know one of the earliest games I attended was when Peter Bonetti was in goal for Chelsea and there was talk about him being an England keeper and going to the world cup . Bearing that in mind I think that must have been around 1972 and I suppose it must have been a cup game. I'm sure these were some of the circumstances around Bonetti down at the lane.
    I can remember queuing to get in for the Leeds FA cup game biggest queue I had come across at that tender age. Arsenal down here in the cup and McManus saving a McDonald penalty but we still lost 1-0 I think.
    The first time in the 70's we played Chelsea was 21 February 1976 in the league. We won 3 - 2.

The FA Cup game v Leeds was January 3rd 1976 when we lost 1 - 0.

The Arsenal game was 8th January 1977.

Notts 1- Liverpool 2, Kenny Dalglish worldie won it for Reds in 1982. I was Liverpool supporter then but adopted Notts "while in Nottingham" supported them ever since. Not sure of league finish but it wasn't worrying relegation that year.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I'm 'hoping' you're seeing it beginning now
    I can hear Colin Slater commentating when I type “Swale your optimism knows no bounds”.

I am afraid, as a cynical barsteward, it will take more than three wins on the bounce to make me retract my initial comment. Nevertheless if the winning run continues and leads to promotion this season (unlikely), or next, and we carry on with the more positive style of play then I might be converted to your way of thinking. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If you're sure the opponents were in claret shirts with white sleeves, it wouldn't have been Hateley's return match. Northampton were definitely in white shirts and shorts that day with two claret hoops and claret socks. York had visited earlier that season and they had a claret kit but no white sleeves (claret shirts, white shorts).
    Not all all sure it was claret but you may be able to help me as the memory is very fuzzy. At the time I had very little exposure to any football other than Div 1. With the family roots in Yorkshire I had a soft spot for Leeds - who my cousins supported (I totally lost that a few years later when they beat Notts in the Cup in front of the biggest crowd I was ever in at Meadow Lane). So what I really remember is that it was like Newcastle v Arsenal - I was sure the kit was Red with White sleeves. Rotherham were my first guess but they weren't in Div4 that year (although I may have the year wrong). So my second guess was Northampton as they did play in white sleeved shirts around that time.

So in summary the only things I really remember are that I was young, went with neighbours, watched two teams looking like Newcastle and Arsenal and it was in the lower regions of the football league. It was enough to trap me into the never ending cycle of doom and despair with occasional high points - some of which were about to start.

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    Not all all sure it was claret but you may be able to help me as the memory is very fuzzy. At the time I had very little exposure to any football other than Div 1. With the family roots in Yorkshire I had a soft spot for Leeds - who my cousins supported (I totally lost that a few years later when they beat Notts in the Cup in front of the biggest crowd I was ever in at Meadow Lane). So what I really remember is that it was like Newcastle v Arsenal - I was sure the kit was Red with White sleeves. Rotherham were my first guess but they weren't in Div4 that year (although I may have the year wrong). So my second guess was Northampton as they did play in white sleeved shirts around that time.

So in summary the only things I really remember are that I was young, went with neighbours, watched two teams looking like Newcastle and Arsenal and it was in the lower regions of the football league. It was enough to trap me into the never ending cycle of doom and despair with occasional high points - some of which were about to start.
    Rotherham almost certainly wore red with white sleeves at ML on Wednesday 25th October 1972. In their two visits before that they would have worn all red. Can't think of anybody else who had red with white sleeves unless there was an away kit involved. Crewe flirted with that design but not until late 1980s. Northampton went back to claret with white sleeves for 1971/72 season but they'd been relegated by then and wouldn't play Notts again until mid 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    We only played Exeter at home once between 1949 and 1967 and that was Saturday 19th September 1959, won 3-0 Forrest
    Horobin, Roby. If the goal-scoring order is correct then you can say Forrest scored the first goal you ever saw live, for County.
    Cheers, I think it was Forrest who knocked me out when his shot hit me smack in the face when I was standing on the wall behind the goal at the Meadow Lane end. I woke up with St. John's ambulance men pushing smelling salts up my nose.The match was a cup game against Bath City when we lost 1-0. They had Cannonball Fleming in their team. Not so happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    The first time in the 70's we played Chelsea was 21 February 1976 in the league. We won 3 - 2.

The FA Cup game v Leeds was January 3rd 1976 when we lost 1 - 0.

The Arsenal game was 8th January 1977.
    Nice one ..thanks...

Notts 1 Northampton 4, April 1962. I think we finished somewhere in middle of the old Division 3.

It was only on my tenth visit to Meadow Lane that I saw Notts win for the first time.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast