+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: First Notts match and season results

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    We didn't lose to Bristol Rovers at home for years, 19 unbeaten against them at ML from 1971-1999. (Didn't lose to Blackburn in the 1970s either)

Blockley joined for the 1978/79 season, so he would be the one player not on your list who played in that Dec/1977 match. If you're sure Blockley played in your first game then it wouldn't have been against Bristol Rovers as he never played against them at the Lane.
    Brockley etc were players I can remember from going down to ML. Was deffo Brizzle cos their shirts were distinctive to me in that era

Lost TV clip alert - Tune in to ITV4+1 now (11:30pm), The Big Match Revisited shows a goal and a save from the 19/Jan/1980 match v Leicester City during the viewers letters section at the request of Mick Leonard's father!

Notts drew 2-2 with Man U 2 days after I was born - 19th April 1975. But the first match I went to was a league cup game vs West Ham in Dec ‘82. We drew 3-3. I remember very little about it, but it got me hooked. Thanks dad.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    3-2 against Blackpool, 87, Div 3 mid table (i think) finish, end of Sirrels era but can remember as a young fan collaring him for an autograph coming out of his office from the Barrel stand before kick off at one of the games.
    Similar here Matt also, except my old man did all the work as I was introduced to Mr Sirrel pre game behind the main stand. Of course our most legendary manager stopped to sign the first page of my Junior Magpies autograph book. It wasn't just some random squiggle , it was addressed to me, a few words and signed:

Jimmy Sirrel
    Notts County FC Manager

Class. Still got it along with all the Notts players of that era.

Wink

Notts 1 Motherwell 0 (Vinter). Anglo Scottish Cup game on 27th September 1977.

I was 10 years old at the time and went with my mate and his dad who was a Scotsman, presumably that's why he chose this fixture to introduce us to football. I don't remember much about the night other than standing on the Kop and wearing a home-knitted black and white scarf and 'pom-pom' hat!

Notts finished the season 15th/22 in Division 2 (now the Championship). Stags got relegated and Bolton, Southampton and Spurs (yes Spurs!) got promoted to the top flight.

Ron Fenton was the manager at the time of my first match but Sir Jimmy returned to the club (from Sheffield United) just over a week later. I guess I chose the perfect time to start following the club.....
    Last edited by ManchesterMagpie; 15-05-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    That’s grim. Just counted up and it wasn’t until my eighth game that I saw us lose - 1-0 v West Ham in October 1979. It had been a while since I’d been to a game, because me and a mate paid to stand on the Kop and were shocked to see that it was now for away fans only. We quickly asked to be transferred to the Main Stand.
    Reminds me of me. After seeing Notts for the first time in the friendly defeat against Bolton Wanderers, I went to most, but not all, home games in the 1997/98 season. I don't think I actually saw us lose a game that entire season. Of course, it was all downhill after that!
    Last edited by ulaggypie; 15-05-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Deleting superfluous "of course"

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Similar here Matt also, except my old man did all the work as I was introduced to Mr Sirrel pre game behind the main stand. Of course our most legendary manager stopped to sign the first page of my Junior Magpies autograph book. It wasn't just some random squiggle , it was addressed to me, a few words and signed:

Jimmy Sirrel
    Notts County FC Manager

Class. Still got it along with all the Notts players of that era.
    I was never in the junior magpies but towards the end of that season some guy came up to me in the crowd and asked if I wanted to be a ball boy next season which I thought was only for junior magpies, I was a bit suspicious but my gran was more than happy and answered for me. It all came good next season when some player hit it on top of the barrel stand, can’t remember if it bounced off it or rolled off it but it was the longest few seconds of my life as it hurtled back down towards me, luck was on my side and I caught it to a massive round of applause 😂

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I was never in the junior magpies but towards the end of that season some guy came up to me in the crowd and asked if I wanted to be a ball boy next season which I thought was only for junior magpies, I was a bit suspicious but my gran was more than happy and answered for me. It all came good next season when some player hit it on top of the barrel stand, can’t remember if it bounced off it or rolled off it but it was the longest few seconds of my life as it hurtled back down towards me, luck was on my side and I caught it to a massive round of applause 
    Love that term 'Barrel Stand' for the old main stand. Never heard it before this week.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567