+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: First Notts match and season results

I’ve struggled with this in the past, my first game was circa ‘74-75. I was taken by my Florist supporting uncle to watch Notts v them in a night match. I think it was a County Cup final but I could be wrong and I think Notts lost 4-2 or something close to that. Either way it didn’t put me off and I was back again with my mates in Oct ‘79 for a wet a dreary 1-1 draw with Oldham. That season was nothing to shout about, however the next season was without doubt my most memorable season of all time!

I first visited ML to watch Notts as I posted before was in 1971. However, I have just been thinking and I think my first actual visit was to watch Arnold in the Notts Senior Cup Final, probably late 60's.

Great days with some ex-Notts players. Bobby Tait and George Smith in goal come to mind.

My first ever football hero though was Joe Boucher - now he was some player.

25th March 1989
    Notts 1 Port Vale 4

I had been taken to watch those across the bridge a couple of times at this point, they had beaten Villa 6-0 and Man City 2-0 but there was just something about watching Notts at Meadow Lane that appealed, there was a feeling about the place plus it was my Gran and Grandads team. We finished 9th that season in the old 3rd Div but the following two seasons were promotion campaigns under Warnock. It became a great time to support Notts.

My first ever Notts match was a 2-1 home defeat to the mighty Luton Town in April 1999, very unlucky on the day but it was a unique experience

My first notts match was Tony Hateleys last one in 1972 I believe, sat on the old wooden benches in the main stand vaguely aware that it was a big event ...nice memory. My first England game was 2 years later at Wembley 3-0 win against Czechoslovakia, Colin bell was badly injured and I can still see the bright floodlights and smell the hot dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Notts 1 Northampton 4, April 1962. I think we finished somewhere in middle of the old Division 3.

It was only on my tenth visit to Meadow Lane that I saw Notts win for the first time.
    That’s grim. Just counted up and it wasn’t until my eighth game that I saw us lose - 1-0 v West Ham in October 1979. It had been a while since I’d been to a game, because me and a mate paid to stand on the Kop and were shocked to see that it was now for away fans only. We quickly asked to be transferred to the Main Stand.

Being honest don't remember my very 1st game but would have been around '77/78. The shirts of the opponents in my very first games would think it was either Blackburn or Brizzle Rovers. Remember a cup game(anglo scottish? as daft as it sounds) against Chesterfield at home. We lost 2-1 I think. It was a 2 leg game

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Being honest don't remember my very 1st game but would have been around '77/78. The shirts of the opponents in my very first games would think it was either Blackburn or Brizzle Rovers.
    I'd lean towards Bristol Rovers as Blackburn tended to change to red when playing us during that period whereas Rovers usually stuck with their home kit. So maybe Saturday 31st December 1977, Notts 3 (Bradd 2 Hooks) Rovers 2 (Randal 2), A 19 year old Tony Pulis came on as a sub for Rovers.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I'd lean towards Bristol Rovers as Blackburn tended to change to red when playing us during that period whereas Rovers usually stuck with their home kit. So maybe Saturday 31st December 1977, Notts 3 (Bradd 2 Hooks) Rovers 2 (Randal 2), A 19 year old Tony Pulis came on as a sub for Rovers.

Would be Rovers then, but I thought we lost the game. Remember McManus, Brockley, Stubbs, Vinter, Hooks, O'Brien,Mann just

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Would be Rovers then, but I thought we lost the game. Remember McManus, Brockley, Stubbs, Vinter, Hooks, O'Brien,Mann just
    We didn't lose to Bristol Rovers at home for years, 19 unbeaten against them at ML from 1971-1999. (Didn't lose to Blackburn in the 1970s either)

Blockley joined for the 1978/79 season, so he would be the one player not on your list who played in that Dec/1977 match. If you're sure Blockley played in your first game then it wouldn't have been against Bristol Rovers as he never played against them at the Lane.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast