+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Notts match and season results

First Notts match and season results

Hello!

Been a very long time since I started a topic. I'm sure this has been done before, probably multiple times, but thought it might be nice to reminisce. What were people's first Notts County match and how did that season finish?

For me, my first ever Notts County match was a pre-season friendly against Premier League side Bolton Wanderers. It ended 4-2 (I think) to Bolton. This was the 1997/98 season. Youngish me liked what I saw and barely missed a home game that season... Special shout out to one of the few I did miss, against Lincoln City. I was on a family holiday near Ben Nevis and it made their news!

Quote Originally Posted by ulaggypie View Post
    Hello!

Been a very long time since I started a topic. I'm sure this has been done before, probably multiple times, but thought it might be nice to reminisce. What were people's first Notts County match and how did that season finish?

For me, my first ever Notts County match was a pre-season friendly against Premier League side Bolton Wanderers. It ended 4-2 (I think) to Bolton. This was the 1997/98 season. Youngish me liked what I saw and barely missed a home game that season... Special shout out to one of the few I did miss, against Lincoln City. I was on a family holiday near Ben Nevis and it made their news!
    Why did your being on holiday near Ben Nevis make the news? Or did they report that you'd missed a football match?

The match made the news - it was the infamous match where Gary Strodder (I think) got sent off and a Notts fan ran on the pitch and assaulted the referee.

From what I can remember, I won the tickets to my first game via a Radio Trent competition back in 2005. 5 year old me answered a question and got it wrong, so the consolation prize was a trip to watch Notts.

I cant actually remember any of the game itself, I just know we played Bristol Rovers and won either 2-1 or 2-0. Either way i must have enjoyed myself as straight after the game i asked my granddad if we could go again one day - he's been paying for my season ticket in the Pavis ever since.

Notts County 4 - 1 Tranmere Rovers - 28 April, 1973

This took us up into what is now the Championship after a 15 year wait. On the Kop with my godfather. I was hooked for life.

I'll never forgive him

April 1961 - we beat Shrewsbury 2 - 1 and I was hooked.

19 March, 1977 - 0-0 at home to Blackburn, Paul Bradshaw had a blinder in goal for Rovers. Second game, a month later, was also 0-0 Fulham at home). Had to wait fo the third game - 3-1 win over Southampton - to see my first Notts goals and win (including a rare goal from dear old Pedro). Sadly, it was the only win in the final seven games of the season, and we blew our chances of promotion.

First away game was at the Temple of Sin for the 2-0 win on January 23, 1982.

Can't remember the exact game but it was Sept / Oct 1971. First game I remember score of was v Newport in FA Cup when we won 6 - 0 in November 71. Bournemouth were our rivals and I remember that day they won 11 - 0 with Ted MacDougall scoring 9.

We finished 4th in old Div 3

I am fairly sure it was 70/71 v Northampton, I was 8. A neighbour and his son (hi Mike if you’re on here) took me. They were huge Notts fans, my Dad was not really into football, Rugby League / Wakefield Trinity were where his loyalties were. I remember the opposition playing in kit like Arsenal with white sleeves and red shirts (turns out it was claret). What I don’t recall and never registered at the time was that it was the return of Tony Hateley and the crowd had doubled to 20,000. Of course we went on to win Div 4 that year and I was hooked but only really started going regularly when in early ****s.

May 1968 Notts 4 Southend 3. I think Notts finished well down in the old division 4 but good enough to avoid having to face re-election. Often wonder if it had finished a boring 0-0 whether I would have gone back to see them, but JS arrived soon after and from there Notts took off. Great times to follow the Pies and I doubt whether I will see the like again.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast