+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indian Variant

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    When you see the news reporting these stories, my initial thoughts are ‘here we go again’. You can see another restriction/lockdown coming and it’s as if this new indian variant is the latest way to justify it. There are other countries in the world such as the US and even UAE that have considerable amount of Indians in their overall population, yet they don’t have any cases being reported, but we do. As i’ve said before I find this bizzare. Is this the future? Where we keep opening and closing the economy till all business and livelihoods are brought to their knees?
    The situation in India isn’t great and I think the western nations should be doing a lot more to help not just for economic reasons but more humanitarian. One of the reasons for not putting parts of India in lockdown is that the poorer workers would be negatively impacted. This is where I think, other nations can provide financial support. I know we’re in a mess but if nations just chipped in a little, it could help. It’s worth nations looking into this. Also the issue with vaccine licences and the ramblings going in is disgraceful.
    Heard a recent interview with former PM Gordon Brown when he put forward a rather compelling case for the richest 30 countries to 'chip in a little' based on GDP to get the World vaccinated. The cost was billions (from memory £5 billion for us) but when you compared it to the £trillions that were found to sort out the financial crash it did bring perspective.

India would of course be towards the top of of the rich list of countries.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    So what's the take home from this evenings cosy chat to the nation? Well as I see it Johnson as given a clear signal that the total unlocking on June 21st was all BS. This power trip will continue to at least the end of September, cus y'know, that's when furlough is supposed to end. I see tiered areas again, masks, social distancing etc etc and all for what?? It's meant to run and run.
    I agree, I have heard today through trusted source that SAGE have rubber stamped a paper that projects 10,000 hospital admissions a week due to variants and the ending of restrictions. In Bolton, the majority of cases are the under-25's who quelle surprise have yet to be vaccinated so the vaccine bl00dy works! No need to lockdown any more in my view.

Very interesting article I came across yesterday speaks of super-spreaders, some folk it is suggested are more infectious than others and by isolating them & close contacts when a pocket of infections crops up would be a better approach than the R number. I'll see if can find a link to post on here.

Keep well

WCV

Conspiracy theorists are getting a lot of stuff right just lately - Deciding not to get a vaccine should be at their own risk

"The British people have stoically shivered through this wintry spring, clinging on to the hope of an indoor pint today, and even to the prospect of being allowed to meet more than 6 people inside from 21 June. Then, right on cue, as if following the playbook of the conspiracy theorists, just as the re-opening reaches these milestones, a new variant appears, from India this time, provoking calls from the government’s scientific advisers to pause the roadmap journey and maintain restrictions. The prime minister warned that the new variant could cause 'serious disruption' to plans for further lifting of restrictions"
    Last edited by phild; 17-05-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Conspiracy theorists are getting a lot of stuff right just lately - Deciding not to get a vaccine should be at their own risk

"The British people have stoically shivered through this wintry spring, clinging on to the hope of an indoor pint today, and even to the prospect of being allowed to meet more than 6 people inside from 21 June. Then, right on cue, as if following the playbook of the conspiracy theorists, just as the re-opening reaches these milestones, a new variant appears, from India this time, provoking calls from the government’s scientific advisers to pause the roadmap journey and maintain restrictions. The prime minister warned that the new variant could cause 'serious disruption' to plans for further lifting of restrictions"
    I’m quite open minded and sometimes I do like conspiracy theories, as they just generally tend to make you wonder what if it all were true. I’m not dead set to think the pandemic is ending anytime soon. There is something going on, however I’ve hardly seen anything concrete to put my finger on as to what it is.

Anyway, Wan clock said yesterday that he’s confident the vaccine would work well against the indian variant. How credible his views or source is, then we’d have nothing to worry about? Then it got me thinking, are all these just scare tactics to encourage more to vaccinate? If the younger population aren’t as much risk, then I don’t how this whole herd immunity works.

But one thing that just plays on my mind on this whole thing is, has the western world waited for the next china virus in order to capitalise on it? (after the Sars, ebola now this covid). Some opportunity? Like when those stock brokers plan for world recessions? This would be going too far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)