+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: realistic expectations

realistic expectations

I feel for Paul Warne as next year I believe only a romp back into the Championship will quieten down the disquiet over Paul Warne, at least for a season anyway. I suspect many of those who are willing to support him will do so only if we get back to winning ways and there is already a vocal and increasing minority (debate) who want to see a change of manager. This is where I see the issue. When we get that inevitable bad result and I think fans will turn on PW rather quickly. The credit he has had is now on the flaky ground.

As footy fans we aren’t rational, our expectations are always too high. On balance I’m very happy to keep PW but there is a question mark against his leadership now. This is after a season that ended below expectations (not by much, but enough!)

Next year he has a big job, he will have to rebuild, again! and there are some big clubs in this division. Peterborough had to spend big to get promoted and we don’t have this capability. Is it unrealistic to expect a promotion push in what will be a transitional year, I personally think so? a two-year plan sounds reasonable but will it is unlikely to be accepted by many. Being in touch with the playoffs at Christmas will be a reasonable expectation I feel. But I don’t think this will suffice for many.

I just think he is on a hiding to nothing – my view is that he is the best man for the job at this time. if I was advising PW I would probably be saying that staying at RUFC is a big risk.

A major factor for me personally will be the style of football.

Ok, if its Total Hoofball (the anti version of Total football by Ajax) on steriods and we storm the league then, through gritted teeth, Ill say "well done" and accept the success.

But, if as I suspect, its a mixed bag of results with us hovering around upper mid table then Ill be a lot more accepting if we at least try to play some decent football.

But, if as I suspect, its a mixed bag of results with us hovering around upper mid table then I'll be a lot more accepting if we at least try to play some decent football.[/QUOTE]

I think if we lose smith and Crookes we will have to play differently. I do recall him trying a different style before and when results got bad (i remember Burton away even though we eventually won) he was getting pelters for not playing to Smith's strengths.

The dilemma he has is that this style works in league one and doesn't work in the Championship.

It is all about balance and variety for me. Let's not become one dimensional. No to just complete hoofball and no to passing with no penetration whatsoever. It would be good to have many strings to our bow with how we can hurt teams. Being able to play football enough through the lines to open up teams and have us running at them whilst having the option to occasionally hit the big man and play off of him with pace. Having a multitude of ways to hurt a team will keep them honest and in doubt as to how to approach us. Press and we can play around them or turn them around with pace off of the big man or let us have the ball and we can keep it and dominate, develop, and sustain attacks through us being higher up the pitch for longer. Making it harder for teams to get out. Playing this way, with variety, will help us develop going forward and if we are good enough to be promoted again we should have players and a style in place where we have confidence to play different ways. Different ways to hurt the opposition. That is what I would like to see, if that takes a year or two to develop then fine but, lets develop a long term playing plan that we believe can bring us success in both this league and the one above. Doing so will help our players develop (for us and potential suitors, meaning more £££), will help in getting in better loans as teams will like how we play and see how it can develop their players and it will help with general interest with attendances. Exciting football, swashbuckling but with a calmness and incision. Be energetic, be super charged, but always remember the football with move faster than any player. Like I said at the beginning, balance and variety.

Automatic promotion, nothing else will do. Roth U have always played with wingers. No more wing backs. Any player that wants to go let them go. There was no Ajayi or Vaulks in the side last season. No more giving sick notes a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by zouch View Post
    I feel for Paul Warne as next year I believe only a romp back into the Championship will quieten down the disquiet over Paul Warne, at least for a season anyway. I suspect many of those who are willing to support him will do so only if we get back to winning ways and there is already a vocal and increasing minority (debate) who want to see a change of manager. This is where I see the issue. When we get that inevitable bad result and I think fans will turn on PW rather quickly. The credit he has had is now on the flaky ground.

As footy fans we aren’t rational, our expectations are always too high. On balance I’m very happy to keep PW but there is a question mark against his leadership now. This is after a season that ended below expectations (not by much, but enough!)

Next year he has a big job, he will have to rebuild, again! and there are some big clubs in this division. Peterborough had to spend big to get promoted and we don’t have this capability. Is it unrealistic to expect a promotion push in what will be a transitional year, I personally think so? a two-year plan sounds reasonable but will it is unlikely to be accepted by many. Being in touch with the playoffs at Christmas will be a reasonable expectation I feel. But I don’t think this will suffice for many.

I just think he is on a hiding to nothing – my view is that he is the best man for the job at this time. if I was advising PW I would probably be saying that staying at RUFC is a big risk.
    That's a decent assessment of probably what most of us think, I believe, and I do think if we dont hit the ground running in the coming season, new squad or not, the dissenters will be more and more vocal.
    One of the main things that frustrated me was Warnies willingness to regularly play players out of position (square peg in round holes) when to me there were better options available, with the most obvious one Ben Wiles, being regularly played at left back or left wing back, when his strengths are as a creative box to box goalscoring CM and it seems that he was hardly ever played in his best and most favoured position.
    It will be interesting to see who goes and who we keep (does anyone know when the retain list comes out?) but it will be interesting, to say the least, to see what kind of squad we can put together for what I'm hoping will be a good go for at least the play offs UTM

​It's all speculation atm, we don't know the retained list or the full squad. No doubt we will have a reasonable playing budget.
    If Ogbene and Miller are still here I would expect them to play 4-5-1 with two wingers and three central midfielders.
    Formation can be changed during the game anyway so it's not too important.

Depending on the final squad and the actual betting price I'm going to stick a maximum of £100 on promotion, Champions or runners up.

Not Great

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    It is all about balance and variety for me. Let's not become one dimensional. No to just complete hoofball and no to passing with no penetration whatsoever. It would be good to have many strings to our bow with how we can hurt teams. Being able to play football enough through the lines to open up teams and have us running at them whilst having the option to occasionally hit the big man and play off of him with pace. Having a multitude of ways to hurt a team will keep them honest and in doubt as to how to approach us. Press and we can play around them or turn them around with pace off of the big man or let us have the ball and we can keep it and dominate, develop, and sustain attacks through us being higher up the pitch for longer. Making it harder for teams to get out. Playing this way, with variety, will help us develop going forward and if we are good enough to be promoted again we should have players and a style in place where we have confidence to play different ways. Different ways to hurt the opposition. That is what I would like to see, if that takes a year or two to develop then fine but, lets develop a long term playing plan that we believe can bring us success in both this league and the one above. Doing so will help our players develop (for us and potential suitors, meaning more £££), will help in getting in better loans as teams will like how we play and see how it can develop their players and it will help with general interest with attendances. Exciting football, swashbuckling but with a calmness and incision. Be energetic, be super charged, but always remember the football with move faster than any player. Like I said at the beginning, balance and variety.
    I like a lot of what you’ve said. Unfortunately Rotherham don’t have a plan .

I cant believe people on here can say how next season is going to go by now. Just read through the post from the begining of August last year, people actually thought we were going to finish mid table and some thought high......ffs.
    I don't know how these people think......................

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast