+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: realistic expectations

I don’t think too many will leave so I’m expecting us to aim for the number one spot

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    My take. First off to everyone out there, if it's a mass clear out or rather players we would rather have hoped to keep but they leave, then accept it. Should this actually happen, then for me it's all about patience.

We will have an average budget nothing spectacular due to the loss of revenue, (let's not go there), so expect to see a complete overall. By that I mean a rebuild, a time consuming effort that will not see an instant return the the Championship but a rebuild that will incorporate the likes of, Kayode, Gratton, Hull, Clarke at left back, please stop laughing I'm serious.

I personally do not expect an instant return to the Championship and will not be disappointed if we fail but, I would expect a mid table finish or that would be a failure. It's all down to the nucleus we keep, IF we do retain a lot of our original side then we surely must be a good contender of the play offs?

I don't believe there are big clubs like Pompey, Ipswich, Sunderland but I do fear their new Managers and what they are capable of bringing in pre season but as we know , all new teams have to gel. Let's also look at the new boys coming up, Cambridge, Cheltenham Bolton and whoever shows from Morecambe, Newport, Forest Green or Tranmere. They will all want to make their mark.

No we won't drop another league and I fully expect Warne to make a good stamp on League 1. Let's be honest, fail badly come Xmas and surely he knows his time is up but, give the man a chance and let's see what is produced first before the shouts of Warne out are heard.
    Definitely get Clarke up to whoever’s standard at LB
    Kayode and Cooper maybe but no chance of Gratton in squad (maybe 2nd half season bit doubt it) no idea about Hull

Brin - yep that's a fair assessment. new teams take time to gel and PW has a v good track record of creating coherent teams. I also think that PW is an intelligent leader who learns and adapts well with the limited resources he has. However, there is something about his modus-operandi that needs a rethink. This is new territory for him. he appears to be a lucky league one manager and an unlucky Championship maager.

Quote Originally Posted by zouch View Post
    Brin - yep that's a fair assessment. new teams take time to gel and PW has a v good track record of creating coherent teams. I also think that PW is an intelligent leader who learns and adapts well with the limited resources he has. However, there is something about his modus-operandi that needs a rethink. This is new territory for him. he appears to be a lucky league one manager and an unlucky Championship maager.
    Don't think it will that new a team Zouch. There are always a few new players every season in every team. I think the defence will be pretty much as this season which is good because it has been pretty solid in the championship apart from one or two bloopers. We may have to be patient as regarding goals for but then again we have lacked goals anyway this season.

I will support Warne if he changes the style of play I'm sick of watching us constantly hoofing the ball to nobody when we don't use the talents of the midfield players we have to create the chances and the style of play we currently use only gets you so far and it's stopping players not reaching their potentials and it's no coincidence that Yates and JCH are gonna be playing in a higher league soon going more multi million pound transfers now they played in a team that plays it on the floor.

Think if Smith and tree go as expected we will be forced into a different style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by zouch View Post
    I am trying to turn over a new leaf and be less critical of other posters but having read your post several times I can't see that it makes any sense. I must have missed the track record on creating "coherent teams" and am not sure what they are anyway but your assessment of PW as "an intelligent leader who learns and adapts well..." is controversial and surely at odds with your view that his MO "needs a rethink"?

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Maybe they thought the players were good enough but the **** that was thrown at us was just too much especially when managers didn’t rest some when possible
    So if they thought that the players were good enough, but weren't, so what do they base their predictions on for next season when they don't even know what our team will be??
    They'll be saying that player x/y/z are on £5000 a week next.............

I think relegation is more likely than promotion next season.

Since it's the new trend, I'll stop posting on here if Rotherham United are promoted in 2022.

Mid table would be a realistic position, taking in our core support. 6-10 th, a very good season. Anything above, marvelous.
    We do, some of us, seem to be getting carried away with this cementing a place in the second tier. We have neither the crowd or the resources.Certainly not the RUFC I've watched for 50 odd years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast