+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAO Steve Finan

FAO Steve Finan

I know you’re a DC Thomsons employee and I loved your book about Oor Jum last year but, lord, you need to get a grip on the podcasts getting put out. Specifically the Twa Teams One Street caper which is the most biased blue nose schite I’ve heard for a long time. For instance on the latest one yer Blue Nose man ‘Bear’ goes on about St Johnstone setting up a cup double which apparently, and I quote ‘ even Dundee Utd never did in their pomp’. Is he forgetting about season80/81 or is he just choosing to put on his bitter blue nose specs on? C’mon to phuck this is basic journalism here.

I also wonder why my local paper allows a bigot like Jenny Hjul get to print with shyte like Douglas FN Ross defied the odds by holding back the Nationalist advance and he could end up as FM of Scotland at the next Scottish election.
    Does the Courier make a habit of allowing pyshed journalists free reign to preach the union to this country's YES city?.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/...cies/S16000098

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/...cies/S16000099

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opin...irst-minister/
    Last edited by GUNBOAT; 15-05-2021 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I know you’re a DC Thomsons employee and I loved your book about Oor Jum last year but, lord, you need to get a grip on the podcasts getting put out. Specifically the Twa Teams One Street caper which is the most biased blue nose schite I’ve heard for a long time. For instance on the latest one yer Blue Nose man ‘Bear’ goes on about St Johnstone setting up a cup double which apparently, and I quote ‘ even Dundee Utd never did in their pomp’. Is he forgetting about season80/81 or is he just choosing to put on his bitter blue nose specs on? C’mon to phuck this is basic journalism here.
    Does he not mean winning two cups in the one season?

QUOTE=japanarab;39780079]Does he not mean winning two cups in the one season?[/QUOTE]

He refers to the ‘chance of’ doing two cups in one season like it’s a first locally. It’s not.
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 15-05-2021 at 03:20 AM.

Aah. Gotcha. You can throw in 87 too then.

Thanks for kind words about the Jim McLean book, James. I will have another United book published next year, though I’ll keep the details to myself for now.
    I’m only peripherally involved in newspaper journalism these days, but I know the Twa Teams boys very well. I grew up with Bear from the age of 16, which is well over 40 years ago. I must be honest here, I think you are being harsh on him for missing out a word in that sentence. He knows well that United have, in the past, been in two cup finals in a season.
    Indeed, I’d pay Bear the highest compliment I’d give to any man: he kens his fitba. If you are ever looking for a team to enter a football quiz, you’d do well to recruit Bear. He’s a good lad, a Scottish Junior international in his day, stands his hand at the bar, and I guarantee you’d enjoy his company no matter what team you support.
    Football journalism has changed. In the old days, no one knew what team Arthur Montford, or Hugh McIlvanney supported. I wouldn’t have dared ask McIlvanney! Nowadays, the chatty, podcasting, personality-driven football reportage requires people to say who their team is. It is a more human way of talking about football. But it opens everyone who writes, Tweets, or podcasts to accusations of bias.
    You can hold what they say against them, that is your prerogative. You can pay your money or give your time to read or listen, or not, and agree or disagree, or not. If you don’t like it, don’t access it. But we’d have to admit we all suffer from confirmation bias. You, me, everybody.
    So, for argument’s sake, let’s turn the spotlight around. How are you judged?
    I come here because there are several posters who give honest, reasoned, original assessments and opinions of United matters. I’d go as far as to say I respect the football nous that is displayed. I’ll not pick out names, but several of the people here are worth listening to.
    The book I talked about in first paragraph would benefit from supporter input — in the same manner as Jim McLean Dundee United Legend. So I intend to pm some guys on here to directly ask for their opinion. No one has to take part, of course, they can tell me to sling my hook. It will be their choice, I certainly won’t take offence.
    In deciding who to send a pm to, I can only judge people on what they write on here. It is the only thing I have to go on, as I don’t know everyone personally.
    It is the same way the Twa Teams lads are judged by listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post
    Thanks for kind words about the Jim McLean book, James. I will have another United book published next year, though I’ll keep the details to myself for now.
    I’m only peripherally involved in newspaper journalism these days, but I know the Twa Teams boys very well. I grew up with Bear from the age of 16, which is well over 40 years ago. I must be honest here, I think you are being harsh on him for missing out a word in that sentence. He knows well that United have, in the past, been in two cup finals in a season.
    Indeed, I’d pay Bear the highest compliment I’d give to any man: he kens his fitba. If you are ever looking for a team to enter a football quiz, you’d do well to recruit Bear. He’s a good lad, a Scottish Junior international in his day, stands his hand at the bar, and I guarantee you’d enjoy his company no matter what team you support.
    Football journalism has changed. In the old days, no one knew what team Arthur Montford, or Hugh McIlvanney supported. I wouldn’t have dared ask McIlvanney! Nowadays, the chatty, podcasting, personality-driven football reportage requires people to say who their team is. It is a more human way of talking about football. But it opens everyone who writes, Tweets, or podcasts to accusations of bias.
    You can hold what they say against them, that is your prerogative. You can pay your money or give your time to read or listen, or not, and agree or disagree, or not. If you don’t like it, don’t access it. But we’d have to admit we all suffer from confirmation bias. You, me, everybody.
    So, for argument’s sake, let’s turn the spotlight around. How are you judged?
    I come here because there are several posters who give honest, reasoned, original assessments and opinions of United matters. I’d go as far as to say I respect the football nous that is displayed. I’ll not pick out names, but several of the people here are worth listening to.
    The book I talked about in first paragraph would benefit from supporter input — in the same manner as Jim McLean Dundee United Legend. So I intend to pm some guys on here to directly ask for their opinion. No one has to take part, of course, they can tell me to sling my hook. It will be their choice, I certainly won’t take offence.
    In deciding who to send a pm to, I can only judge people on what they write on here. It is the only thing I have to go on, as I don’t know everyone personally.
    It is the same way the Twa Teams lads are judged by listeners.
    What about Jenny? i know her husband is to the right of Hitler but why is she allowed free reign in my city's paper?.Surely he can give her Telegraph money or arrange for other Unionist papers(FN loads O them)to pay for her plastic surgery?.

She is entitled to her opinion — whether you, I or anyone agrees or disagrees. And The Courier also had Alex Salmond as a columnist for a while, you will recall.
    That’s what I meant by confirmation bias — we tend to like and admire people we agree with, and dislike those we don’t agree with.
    Jenny Hjul doesn’t deserve personal criticism about how she looks, though. That’s not called for, whether you agree with her or not. I’d ask you to edit that out please.
    My father fought a war to win freedom of speech, and I know from your previous posts that you are ex-Army too. You also fought to defend our freedom of speech. But no one can pick and choose who should be allowed to speak. Not me, not you, not anyone. I might disagree with your opinion, or Jenny Hjul’s opinion, or both. But I defend to the death your/her/anyone’s right to give their opinion.
    The great thing about The Courier, though, is that if you write to them they will publish your thoughts on the readers’ letters page. It is a platform anyone can access, and is a very well-read part of the paper. The editorial staff are proud of the diverse, sometimes angry, sometimes highly critical opinions that they put print as readers’ letters. Not every newspaper will print such letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post
    She is entitled to her opinion — whether you, I or anyone agrees or disagrees. And The Courier also had Alex Salmond as a columnist for a while, you will recall.
    That’s what I meant by confirmation bias — we tend to like and admire people we agree with, and dislike those we don’t agree with.
    Jenny Hjul doesn’t deserve personal criticism about how she looks, though. That’s not called for, whether you agree with her or not. I’d ask you to edit that out please.
    My father fought a war to win freedom of speech, and I know from your previous posts that you are ex-Army too. You also fought to defend our freedom of speech. But no one can pick and choose who should be allowed to speak. Not me, not you, not anyone. I might disagree with your opinion, or Jenny Hjul’s opinion, or both. But I defend to the death your/her/anyone’s right to give their opinion.
    The great thing about The Courier, though, is that if you write to them they will publish your thoughts on the readers’ letters page. It is a platform anyone can access, and is a very well-read part of the paper. The editorial staff are proud of the diverse, sometimes angry, sometimes highly critical opinions that they put print as readers’ letters. Not every newspaper will print such letters.
    will they stop the dee votion? cannigia esque minters still on going? last 2 days courier has had united stories. nostalgia, liked them. get the phuck to the cannigai days tho - 23 m - nil - cvnts sryb

I was not calling her out for how she looks because her surgery went well and she looks a million dollars so you have picked me up wrong mate.I do not recall Alex Salmond writing in your paper because i gave up on it many many years ago due to its masonic history.
    It is true last Wednesday i bought it for £1.30 for its football content as both my BIG team and wee team were playing on the same evening.A few days later i caught up with Jenny and her piece on Douglas FN Ross and i still cannot understand why it passed editorial muster when the citizens she was paid to preach to had delivered the biggest knock out blow in its history to her and her husband's party,FACT.

Edit to add your paper was showing a red rag to a bull and i will never make the mistake of buying it again,i can stomach some of its bias towards its Establishment Club because they gather in the same lodges but i have to draw a line when it comes to Jenny and her Hitler,FACT.
    Last edited by GUNBOAT; 16-05-2021 at 12:39 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)