+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The End Is Nigh ......

The End Is Nigh ......

I hate football today. I grew up loving the hard game and the naivety around it. The comparatively level playing field for all clubs. The local boy done good. The excitement of being part of it at the weekend and the build up before. The jostling at the turnstile for your money, the floodlights, stale pie, the 8 foot bloke in front of you and that smell you always got around grounds.

But this and this season has hammered home more than ever what we gave all lost from the sport today and how ugly it is. Where man can put everything in, yes make mistakes, and still people baying for more. When we were in this mess in the 80s it was about regrouping and rebuilding. I am proud to say I was there and witnessed that. To a lesser extent in the early 00s. But the PL and the money that community is now all gone.

So even though for large part of my life I have lived and breathed Derby Coubty to be part of that again is exciting, not frightening, it brings people and the club back together rather than being a bunch of success hungry snowflakes.

And if the worst did come to the worst, which it won't, Derby is a footballing town. Wimbledon isn't and look what they have achieved. Maybe ..... just maybe .... some of what made football so special we would finally get back?

I get where you are coming from Rats and very much concur with the sentiment! Unfortunately, the world has changed and there is little sentiment left! Success doesn't always breed success, in fact it frequently breeds despair, misery and dissolutionment. Back in the seventies, may late father in law, a mad Derby fan, said 'money will ruin football! This was the late seventies and he meant exactly what you are intimating.
    When he was demobbed he arrived back in the UK from fighting in Burma just in time for the FA Cup final. He arrived back in Derby skint but desperately wanted to watch the match, his Mum and Dad were not well off but gave him the money for a ticket but how was he to get there? Well, as an ex-serviceman, he bloody well hitch hiked all the way there......and back!
    Great but true story, it's now part of a long gone age and won't return unfortunately!
    Let's hope if Derby go under we do return!

In my dreams I see someone resurrecting the good old days under the banner '70s football - heavy ball, badly made kit, awful pitches, dangerous stadiums, red cards only shown for attempted murder, players paid .normal' wages, no live footy, Hiugh Johns behind the mic. But then I wake up and yes, as Mac says the world has moved on. The only thing I really miss from those days is the Magic, there's no magic in football now, its too Corporate

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    In my dreams I see someone resurrecting the good old days under the banner '70s football - heavy ball, badly made kit, awful pitches, dangerous stadiums, red cards only shown for attempted murder, players paid .normal' wages, no live footy, Hiugh Johns behind the mic. But then I wake up and yes, as Mac says the world has moved on. The only thing I really miss from those days is the Magic, there's no magic in football now, its too Corporate
    Agree with most of that, but ‘heavy ball...in the ‘70’s? Maybe compared to now but compared to the sixties they were balloons...rugby balls became bars of soap when wet and footballs were like medicine balls (remember them?).

No doubting the memories evoked by Rats...but were stale pies, obstructed views and don’t even mention the toilets all that great?
    I doubt the atmosphere at PP will never match the BBG but some things are better.
    For me though the only thing that should be on the front of a football shirt is a club badge and don’t get me started on logos on the pitch. Football seems to have largely escaped but it’s only a matter of time till they follow the leads of rugby and cricket. Hate it!

I too am pretty disillusioned with football but still in love with Derby County. It's in the blood. Whichever League we happen to be in, I'll fly back 3 or 4 weekends a season for a few beers with friends and family and to watch the Rams.

Got some Euro games taking place 20 miles from here in a couple of weeks. Probably won't even watch them on the telly. Ten years ago, I'd have been rearranging meetings and appointments to be able to watch the Euros/Worlds.......

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Red cards only for attempted murder, lol how true is that. These days, a heavy frown gets you an early bath.

The ball of the 70s was the Mitre Max.

The ball of the 60s was a lace up leather ball that knocked you out when you headed it when it was wet

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram View Post
    The ball of the 70s was the Mitre Max.

The ball of the 60s was a lace up leather ball that knocked you out when you headed it when it was wet
    Don't remind me OTR, I've still got the lace marks on me forehead!

Lol me too

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)