+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warne on Hirst.

Warne on Hirst.

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.u...lsfXAn4sUiCTQA

So we were paying him more than any of our own players and Leicester wouldn’t have him back at Christmas

Yep a very expensive flop. Think all of our loanees were more expensive than our average players wages even after sharing their wages with their parent clubs. Think Giles might have been more in line with our wage structure.

Lesson to be learnt i think this year methinks.

The problem with flojo by the way -talking about loanee flops-was he didnt fit intio our style cos Warne decided to play with wing backs rather than wingers AFTER he had signed him.

So important that we stick to the same formation from day 1 and build around it.Last season we started with a sort of 4 4 2 then changed to 3 5 2.Th e season before that it was a 4 3 3 then changed to a 4 4 1 1. Think this season we need to either have 4 4 1 1 or 4 5 1 as Warne is hinting at playing wingers again. Not against that but find round pegs for round holes and go for it.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 15-05-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Maybe he should’ve been given more games then especially when strikers weren’t scoring 😏

There is that argument but the problem was that Smith was key to how we played. The fitness of Smith sort of didn't allow that change maybe if Smith had been injured long term we would have been forced to play in a different way because I dont think Hirst could play the Smith role. Who knows how it could have panned out then. Would Hirst have stated banging em in? Would we have stayed up with a non lump it up style?

The other thing is as mentioned on another thread could Hirst do it in league 1? I am not saying for a minute we should shell out as much for his wages as last year but maybe if we pay a lot less he may be worth the risk again particularly if Smith goes.

He was on the pitch for 873 minutes for us.

Georgie boy is a decent footballer but his spat with the piggies has set him back three years. Financially he’s set himself up for life but his football has suffered.

Shouldn’t have gone anywhere near him in my opinion. You’ve got to bring loanees who have sampled league football and done OK. Taking punts on players with only U23 experience is asking for trouble. It’s a massive gulf between that and Championship football. League 1/2, you might get away with it.

A lesson learned. I hope.

He was ****ing rubbish god knows what the foxes see in him how the is he getting so well paid .If Harding is on 8k a week(i think personally if this is true hes worth that hes been outstanding for the most part) what was his wage pick up? To be honest even if he had more time i don't think he would have got near Ladapoo's 10 or Smith's 11 this season he is just not clever,strong or good enough at this time .For me Hirst needs to drop in to lg 1 bag a hat full of goals learn his trade against some seasoned defenders who will scratch,kick ,pull and claw at him bulk up a bit and maybe he will actually improve

Many on here were clammering for us to sign him,long before he came,and everyone was thrilled when we got him,not all loans work out,the player really must want it,or be brilliant,George was neither of these.
    Hopefully he`s learnt his lesson,or maybe he`s just not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Many on here were clammering for us to sign him,long before he came,and everyone was thrilled when we got him,not all loans work out,the player really must want it,or be brilliant,George was neither of these.
    Hopefully he`s learnt his lesson,or maybe he`s just not very good.
    Read his career stats,he’s never been a goal scorer.It’s seems nobody at Rotherham did their homework on him.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Maybe he should’ve been given more games then especially when strikers weren’t scoring ��
    That’s plain silly

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went on loan next season and got his career moving in a positive way. Somewhere where they can get the best out of him.
    Time will tell, he's young enough to improve, just didn't work out for us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast