+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season Review

Season Review

Well that is probably the most frustrating season in our history over. The fact that not one of us stepped foot inside a Dundee United match is the reason for my saying that. I'm sure most would agree. But we are back where we belong and we've shown that we can compete at this level again and can surely only push on from here.

Lets see your end of season ratings. I'll leave it blank so its easy to copy and paste for anyone who wants to to their own, then put mine in another comment.

Benji
    L Smith
    Sporle
    Powers
    Connolly
    Reynolds
    Pawlett
    McNulty
    Clark
    Edwards
    Chalmers
    Robson
    Butcher
    Deniz
    Bolton
    Harkes
    Shankland
    Appere
    Neilson
    Fuchs

I have left out players like K Smith, Meekison, Hoti, Mochrie, Freeman, Fotheringham, etc as they barely played enough minutes to really warrant an overall rating. I'm sure everyone will agree they are all big prospects in their own ways.

Let's also see your:

Player of the season:

Young player of the season:

Goal of the season:

Team Performance of the season:

Individual Performance of the season:

Moment of the season:

Benji - 10 even saved a pen
    L Smith - 8 solid performer
    Sporle - 7 doesnt get as much chances from MM but comes up trumps when he plays
    Powers - 2 never rated him in the championship and never done much in the Prem glad he's leaving us
    Connolly - 3 bombscare
    Reynolds - 7 been reliable and done a job, been good along side Edwards
    Pawlett - 4 when not injured doesnt do much for us
    McNulty - 7 wasted out wide when shoe horned in
    Clark - 7 some really important goals like Mc Nulty above when shoe horned in to midfield its like playing wi 10 men
    Edwards - 8 great addition
    Chalmers - 4 i dont see what the fuss is all about
    Robson - 3 weak link in the team and has not progressed
    Butcher - 7 was found out a few times this season, still gives us the dig we need
    Deniz - 3 not the answer when Benji leaves
    Bolton - 3 major disappointment will never be a City starter thats for sure but i blame MM with f ucking him about in different positions
    Harkes - 5 struggles
    Shankland - 7 didnt get the service
    Appere - 5 never got a chance
    Neilson - 4 not seeing what the fuss is about here
    Fuchs - 7 good addition but playing with/through injury hasnt been ideal

Player of the season: Benji

Young player of the season: none, MM never gave many a regular chance

Goal of the season: Shanks Beckham effort

Team Performance of the season: sheep away in cup

Individual Performance of the season: Benji just aboot every game, how many games did he keep us in and how many points did he earn us, scary!

Moment of the season: confirming safety, objective complete.

Benji 9.5/10 - not sure what more he could have done for us
    L Smith - 7/10 - steady enough. could we get better? maybe. needs to improve crossing.
    Sporle - 7/10 - some excellent performances, cant fault his effort and energy. Contributed with a few goals too.
    Powers - 5/10 - couldnt quite command a spot in the team. unfortunate with his injury. maybe not mobile enough for this league.
    Connolly - 5.5/10 - he played his part in some important results, but not his best season overall. unfortunate with personal issues and now his injury.
    Reynolds - 7/10 - many thought he'd get pasted in this league, but showed his experience and had put in plenty of sturdy performances.
    Pawlett - 5.5/10 - not sure about new contract. played a big part in a couple of games (County away especially). too many injuries.
    McNulty - 6.5/10 - played out of position most of the season. could maybe do a job as an out and striker, but we've never had the chance to find out.
    Clark - 7/10 - gets an extra 0.5 than McNulty because if you take away his goals this season we are probably in a very dodgy place. played out of position too often.
    Edwards - 8.5/10 - thank f uck we signed this guy. nothing spectacular but absolutely solid and came up with a couple of goals too.
    Chalmers - 7/10 - shame about his injury, 7 is maybe generous but he was always positive and always dangerous in the games he did play.
    Robson - 6/10 - i really struggle with Robson. he can do a little bit of everything, but none of it is very good. need to DRASTICALLY improve his first touch and crossing. surely basics of a pro footballer?
    Butcher - 7.5/10 - got a lot of stick this season but I'd be worried to see where we might have been witout him.
    Deniz - 7/10 - cant fault him too much in the moments he has come in. he is not Benji but he is a perfectly able backup - which I think he should remain next season.
    Bolton - 5/10 - massively disappointing signing when you consider where he came from. started brightly but just didnt live up to expectations
    Harkes - 6/10 - started the season well but dropped off drastically and some games he really struggled. never stopped running and played his part, but you'd expect some academy players to edge him out next season.
    Shankland - 7.5/10 - his massively high standards mean we expected to be giving him a 10/10 for this season. He struggled with his goals but still came up with big ones at big times. his work rate and link up play were usually excellent this season.
    Appere - 6.5/10 - will be disappointed with his game time overall and I feel he could have been a better option out wide than Clark or McNulty seem to have been on so many occasions this year.
    Neilson - 7/10 - to be thrown in at 17 was a shock to everyone but for the most part he handled it well aside from 1 or 2 errors you'd expect from a young guy, ended up in double figures for appearances. Looks like he could be a prospect. Loan spell will have served him well.
    Fuchs - 8/10 - appears to be a signing that is better than what we currently had which is all we are really looking for. tidy, tenacious player and should will be the first name on the team sheet next season, quite rightly.

Young player of the season: Neilson (i don't think we had too many options this year. Between him and Chalmers considering amount of games played)

Goal of the season: Shankland v St Johnstone

Team Performance of the season: Aberdeen Scottish Cup QF

Individual Performance of the season: Benji away a Hibs in December

Moment of the season: Shankland's goal v St Johnstone
    Last edited by BudMill90; 16-05-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Benji 9. Had a great season

L Smith 7.5. Very good on the ball but needs to work on the defensive side of his game.

Sporle 6. Decent enough season. Unpredictable. Doubt he even knows what he is going to do next.

Powers n/a. A neat and tidy footballer who was vastly underused. So can't really grade him.

Connolly 5 meh

Robson 5.5 Maradona one week then Madonna the following 3

Edwards. 7.5 proper old school centre half. Very good player.

Butcher. 5.5 average. Nuff sed.

Clark. 5.5 average. Nuff sed.

Pawlett 5.5 average. Nuff sed.

Harkes 4.5 meh. Nuff sed
    Chalmers. 6.5 this lad can go far .Great potential.

Bolton. 2. I'll eat a lamppost if he ever plays for Citeh.

Nelson. 6. Another with great potential. Needs time.

Reynolds 6.5. Steady season from him. Does his job well.

McNulty 6 . Like everyone says,been playing out of position.

Shankland 6. Been pretty underwhelming if we're being honest.

Appere. 6. Another underused player but has developed well and is getting stronger, especially with his link up play and back to goal.

Deniz.6.5 . Done well when called upon. A decent No2

Fuchs 7.5. Great player. Had a few dips here and there but would love to see his partnership with Meekinson develop.

Groin Stroker. 3. That's how many decent games he had.

POTY Benji
    YPOTY Chalmers
    GOTS Shankland
    MOTS when safety was confirmed.
    GameOTS Sheepies in cup.
    IPOTS Edwards V Sheepies in the cup. A colossus.

Benji - 10 (can't ask for more from a keeper)
    L Smith - 7 (solid performer, never going to win MOTM often, but will never be the worst player on the pitch)
    Sporle - 6 (good on his day, a bit inconsistent)
    Powers - 4 (doesn't look mobile enough, best passer in the squad though)
    Connolly - 5 (not as bad as a lot of people make out)
    Reynolds - 7 (been excellent this season despite his age)
    Pawlett - 5 (a few glimpses but not enough)
    McNulty - 6 (doesn't suit 4-3-3, works harder though than people give credit for)
    Clark - 6 (another who doesn't suit 4-3-3, would be more effective as a number 10)
    Edwards - 8 (excellent in the air, what we have been needing for years)
    Chalmers - 7 (young player of the year, made a bigger step up than I expected)
    Robson - 7 (like Smith, solid if not unspectacular)
    Butcher - 6 (poor man's Fuchs)
    Deniz - 6 (decent back up)
    Bolton - 4 (great assist for Reynolds goal v Motherwell. That was his peak)
    Harkes - 5 (looks decent when he has time and space, but that happens 4 times per season)
    Shankland - 7 (took his chances when he got them, just didn't get many of them. Link up play is very underrated)
    Appere - 6 (struggled at first but can still be a player for us)
    Neilson - 6 (looks a great prospect)
    Fuchs - 9 (great signing, we will get some money for him)

Young player of the season: Chalmers

Goal of the season: Shankland v St Mirren

Team Performance of the season: Aberdeen Cup

Individual Performance of the season: Benji (multiple times)/Chalmers v Hamilton

Moment of the season: Aberdeen victory

I’ll break slightly from the format and rather than individuals, just give the whole squad a 9/10 and thanks for a job done. This has been a totally bizarre season which in many ways, (what with Covid, no crowds, Bride of Chucky, very little signings etc) has simply felt like a continuation of season 2019/20 that started with Shanks 4 (FOUR) v Coll and ICT and has finally finished today v St Mirren. It’s been a long and at times bumpy road but it has finished with the primary target set from way back on that lovely sunny day with Jimmy Mac coming out to thunderous applause, of Dundee United back as an established Premiership Club being finally achieved. From where it should never,ever have left. This squad has limited abilities in areas, we know this. It needs strengthened in the summer, we know this too. But this squad has taken us on some journey from nearly two years ago and for that they have my utmost thanks.
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 16-05-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Really hope we never see the likes of the last year ever again. Like i said elsewhere, this season has been frustrating as i believe we have demonstrated a few times that we could have done better, despite exceeding expectation!

Benji - 9 If the miracle happens and he stays, can he get himself amongst the greats?
    L Smith - 7 Cant really add to whats been said.
    Sporle - 6 I love this laddie, he is just so unpredictable, knows where the goal is but fitness is an issue?
    Powers - 3 A player i do like, but not seen enough.
    Connolly - 5 If he could just cut out the costly mistakes, he would be a 7/8 player!
    Reynolds - 7 Ever present and almost the same every game.
    Pawlett - 5 Once in a while, we get something, but fitness doesnt allow it too often.
    McNulty - 6 Must do better if he gets a contract, but thats not all down to him.
    Clark - 6 Top goal scorer? Not his fault he didnt get more!
    Edwards - 7 Injury robbed him of an 8 or 9, solid with added goals.
    Chalmers - 5 Not seen enough of him, and although he is tricky to deal with, he needs to score when given the chance!
    Robson - 7 Had quite a good season with a few blips.
    Butcher - 6 Always had the feeling he could be doing more.
    Deniz - 6 Adequate no2 keeper
    Bolton - 3 Started off quite well and just fell off the page!
    Harkes - 5 Just not good enough! Frustrating to see what he can do in flashes, but too often passes to nobody/opposition.
    Shankland - 6 Strikers need service and ONE good partner!
    Appere - 4 Not seen him enough and left me wondering what the hype was about last season when he did play.
    Fuchs - 7 Best outfield player we have, but dragged down by played out of position. Been very impressed in 3 games when he was the sitting midfielder, but needs better players to link with.

The likes of Nielson, K Smith, Freeman, Hoti, Meekison are to me exempt as they have not had enough time, but there are some players who need to be looking over their shoulders!

Young player of the season: I want to say Fuchs(23), but Chalmers if needs be.

Goal of the season: Shankland V St Johnstone

Team Performance of the season: Aberdeen Cup.

Individual Performance of the season: Benji on many an occasion, just like most others have said!

Moment of the season: Full back to Full back cross for Smith to score v Rangers.

Benji - 10 end of saved us many times
    L Smith - 7 He is good then shaky but crossing an issue and some concentration issues
    Sporle - 6 would have liked to have seen more of him when we were crying out for width and service. Solid enough but defending can be suspect
    Powers - 5 Not really given a big chance, slow but would have liked him to start a few more. Hope he is fully recovered and wish him well.
    Connolly - 5 prob out for upto 9 months which is a disaster for him. Hard year personally for him too.
    Reynolds - 7 been a good captain and consistent - yes at twilight of his career but a steadying influence all round.
    Pawlett - 5 Too few glimpses for me to get a new contract
    McNulty - 6 Came onto a game out of position though
    Clark - 6 out of position whole time but works like a trojan
    Edwards - 9 A defender who attacks the ball in the air - woohoo thank you
    Chalmers - 6 injured for most part he is an exciting prospect and a bit unsure why some comments about they dont rate him?
    Robson - 6 getting more consistent but still a worry
    Butcher - 7 does a lot of work that goes unnoticed
    Deniz - 5 managed a few games without snapping his cruciate so positive moves there
    Bolton - 2 Bye
    Harkes - 5 rated by non united fans as they see the good parts. Maybe next season as he shows glimpses
    Shankland - 6 Been poor by his standards, lack of service but does link play - clearly frustrated
    Appere - 6 Hope to see him more as i like him
    Neilson - 5 not seen enough of him but highly rated
    Fuchs - 8 dwindled for a bit but great signing

Young player of the season: Reynolds

Goal of the season: Shanks v St Js

Team Performance of the season: Aberdeen cup

Individual Performance of the season: Chalmers v hamilton

Moment of the season: Cannigia documentary lasting all season on DCTs website

First off a big thanks to the players management and staff at the Club. Everyone has worked hard to achieve our objective and great credit to all.

The team have given everything. Our passion, drive, commitment, fitness and hunger have been absolutely top notch and MM deserves praise there. I hope he gets a couple or 4 new players in so we can see what he does with an evolving side next season.

POTS Benji
    YPOTS Withheld
    GOTS Shanks worldy obviously, but the third goal v the Sheep in the Cup was a glorious goal started at the edge of our 18 yard box and showed exactly what we are capable of when we get it right. A fantastic team goal.
    TPOS has to be Sheep 0-3
    IPOS No idea, think there was one game where Benji made about 7 saves that were going in, can't remember which game though.

Moment of the Season
    Shanks from the half way line

Biggest disappointment of the Season
    Not giving Hibs a better test at Hampden

Benji 10 Outstanding, we'd have been in a relegation battle without him
    L Smith 7 continued improvement, remember he was making a step up in league
    Sporle 6 some great moments, like this player but I'm not quite sure what position he plays, but then he's not sure either!
    Powers No rating. I think it would be unfair to put a number here, bad head injury ended his season. Passes the ball better than some others in the side, could have been a decent anchor, we'll never know. Good luck Dylan.
    Connolly 6 If passion and commitment alone won games he'd be first name on the team sheet.
    Reynolds 8 Captained the team really well, went long too often for my liking but a very solid season working alongside Edwards
    Pawlett 5 sorry not sorry
    McNulty 6 Went from zero lion in the mirror boy to Pittodrie hero.
    Clark 6.5 perplexes me, has got goals, not quite sure how, seems a long time ago now
    Edwards 9 the big Scouser has really come on to a game. Calm down
    Chalmers Again a player I can't put a number to as not seen quite enough of him. I'm still certain we would have done better at Hampden with him starting instead of Clark or Harkes
    Robson 7 as with Smith, a step up in league and Jamie has worked like a trojan
    Butcher 4 you all know I don't rate him
    Deniz 7 decent deputy
    Bolton 4
    Harkes 4
    Shankland 8 has worked his socks off, we know the rest
    Appere 6 just not happened for Louis, another player that confuses me. I think he's been best in the past cutting in from wide left but no idea what's going on there
    Neilson No rating. Not seen enough to judge. One game early on at RB had me very concerned at lack of pace.
    Fuchs 8, could have been a 9 but took a while to get up to speed, was great for a while then hit a poor patch then picked up again. Love watching Jeando.

The league will be tougher next season imo, we need to strengthen.

Sorry for going O/T on your thread mate but did the Moved Mellon thread by Tomb go to the Mellon GTF thread?.Sorry about all the Threads i will tidy it up later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)