+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 8 finish?

Why not as it'll give us Leeds fans over Europe a chance to see the team.

The French Ligue 1 Coupe de France final sees Paris Saint-Germain face AS Monaco. It means 6th is now assured of going into the UEFA Europa Conference League.So maybe a local trip to see the lads near me as Marseille are in fifth and probably safe for the Europa League, three points ahead of Lens with a superior goal difference. Stade Rennes are a point further back and could yet take 6th.Decent teams after places which is great to see.

In La Liga - The place will go to 7th as Barcelona beat Athletic Bilbao in the final of the Copa del Rey.

The top four have pulled well clear of the rest, and that means one of Real Sociedad, Real Betis or Villarreal will qualify. One point separates the three teams.

If Villarreal win the Europa League and finish 7th, they will be elevated to the Champions League and Spain will have no representative in the UEFA Europa Conference League.

Serie A - Have Juventus (5th) who will take on Atalanta (2nd) in the final of the Coppa Italia on May 19, so 7th is certain to qualify for the UEFA Europa Conference League. But who will get that place?

AS Roma sit 7th, but Sassuolo in 8th are just two points behind with one game to play.

The Bundesliga - Borussia Dortmund won the DFB Pokal, which means 7th will enter the UEFA Europa Conference League.

Borussia Monchengladbach and Union Berlin sit 7th but must play runners-up RB Leipzig on the final day. That could open the door to one of three teams queueing up to capitalise on any dropped points: Borussia Monchengladbach, Stuttgart and Freiburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post

The French Ligue 1 Coupe de France final sees Paris Saint-Germain face AS Monaco. It means 6th is now assured of going into the UEFA Europa Conference League.So maybe a local trip to see the lads near me as Marseille are in fifth and probably safe for the Europa League, three points ahead of Lens with a superior goal difference. Stade Rennes are a point further back and could yet take 6th.Decent teams after places which is great to see.

In La Liga - The place will go to 7th as Barcelona beat Athletic Bilbao in the final of the Copa del Rey.

The top four have pulled well clear of the rest, and that means one of Real Sociedad, Real Betis or Villarreal will qualify. One point separates the three teams.

If Villarreal win the Europa League and finish 7th, they will be elevated to the Champions League and Spain will have no representative in the UEFA Europa Conference League.

Serie A - Have Juventus (5th) who will take on Atalanta (2nd) in the final of the Coppa Italia on May 19, so 7th is certain to qualify for the UEFA Europa Conference League. But who will get that place?

AS Roma sit 7th, but Sassuolo in 8th are just two points behind with one game to play.

The Bundesliga - Borussia Dortmund won the DFB Pokal, which means 7th will enter the UEFA Europa Conference League.

Borussia Monchengladbach and Union Berlin sit 7th but must play runners-up RB Leipzig on the final day. That could open the door to one of three teams queueing up to capitalise on any dropped points: Borussia Monchengladbach, Stuttgart and Freiburg.
    Not sure that the interests of the supporters who live abroad is sufficient as a 'prime mover" with regards to Eurioe next season. The key, most critical consideration surely HAS to be, what is in the best interests of securing Premiership status next season and beyond, and European competition after only one season in the PL must put that at greater risk than is justifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post

It would be nice but honestly for me I'd rather no Europe next season and a real push for proper European football with no distractions i.e. Europa League or even just another top 10 with then a proper push the following year

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    It would be nice but honestly for me I'd rather no Europe next season and a real push for proper European football with no distractions i.e. Europa League or even just another top 10 with then a proper push the following year

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Like x 2

too soon for Europe. As wonderful of a coach as MB is he does not rotate players in and out and does not play the youngsters unless in a real pinch. it's an overreach for Europe 1 year into the prem.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    ...... and being selfish it would give Bielsa an incentive to stay another season if we qualify next year 😎🙃🙏

The key role for Bielsa was to create an environment where players feel comfortable when trying new challenges,thinking differently and being innovative.All experience gained at all age levels of competition is invaluable in progressing.

Anything is possible with correct vision and strategy in life.Just like business in adding new products and services to your mix and going into new territories you have to be honest about flaws and strengths.The club will know what is required whatever the outcome this season as will Bielsa no doubt.

Don't mind kids being played in lesser competitions either but PL survival of course is the priority but we must now move up a notch throughout the club recruitment wise.

Not knocking your opinions but as a person I took on board a safety first strategy with my mental health but became static in life and as a person wanted to challenge my Schizophrenia so pushed on into new waters with the help and guidance of similar minded professional people and glad I did as I've found new characteristics I never knew I had.I would hope the present players at Leeds have that mindset and any new additions to the staff also.

I think your thoughts and input are very valid. Very hard to argue against stretching and going for wins and Europe football.

MB has truly stretched his core players and done a remarkable job. I'd put Strujik and Raphinha in that catagory too. However, other than that none of the U-23's or loanees have played prem football. I think that's way too thin of a squad to play prem, cups and European football. Might end up losing all three since you've stretched them too thin.

Burnley was a prime example a season or two back, the European games caught up with them and they had a rough start to the season and struggled all season, no saying it would happen but. It’s a great distraction and experience, we need a stronger foundation to be able to attack euro games, injuries, travel etc. The old saying the league don’t lie and we deserve to be where we are. I am more then happy first season in. Do this right and no reason not, we will only get stronger. Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I think your thoughts and input are very valid. Very hard to argue against stretching and going for wins and Europe football.

MB has truly stretched his core players and done a remarkable job. I'd put Strujik and Raphinha in that catagory too. However, other than that none of the U-23's or loanees have played prem football. I think that's way too thin of a squad to play prem, cups and European football. Might end up losing all three since you've stretched them too thin.

Wolves finished 7th with 57 points in first season back in 2018/19 PL after their advance from the Championship in 2017/18 to become a Premier League force of respect and also made it to the FA Cup semi-final playing 53 competitive games throughout the season.

That 7th PL placing placing saw them eventually progress to a Europa Cup quarter-final match which ended in 0-1 loss to Sevilla after a gruelling 2019-20 season and there was plenty more to come from Nuno's squad this season to be fair sitting presently 12th.

Just saying again - our style of football will frighten the the hell out of most European defensive teams that I see weekly on French TV.Add a few decent additions and we'll have a great competitive squad for the full 2021/22 seasons tactical requirements.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)