+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Let's play a game - tenuous links

I once saw a German in a queue

I have a photograph of me and Jimmy Sirrel at the Sherwood rooms after he had presented me with the Senior Sunday league cup which we won in 1975/6 for Bulwell 360 club.

... sat opposite Bill Wyman and Mandy Smith in a cafe near Chartres cathedral; rolled our eyes at the ill-mannered behaviour of some American tourists ...

I'm one of the matelots, pulling Lord Mountbatten's gun carriage.

Name:  gettyimages-3136757-2048x2048.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  99.5 KBName:  gettyimages-3136757-2048x2048.jpg
Size:  99.5 KB

Don't know what happened there!
    Last edited by Ayeayeskipper; 17-05-2021 at 04:40 PM.

I went with my brother in law Pietastic to see Notts play at Mansfailed a few years ago. He said it was pay on the turnstile but it wasn't and all the tickets were sold. We hung around behind the main stand hoping to beg a couple of comp tickets from someone. Who should we see but Harry Bassett so Pietastic begged him for a couple of tickets. He said no so we went back to Pietastic's car and drove it up onto the pavement right in the corner of the ground. We watched the game by standing on the car roof which only dented a relatively small amount. Strictly speaking the tenuous link ended at being rebuffed by Harry Bassett but I thought the ending demanded to be told.

Kissed Annie Lennox (it’s true) at the Sandpiper in 79 just before the Tourists hit the big time. I was 17, p*ssed off my skull and didn’t know who was playing but we always went to the Sandpiper Friday nights regardless. There was a group by the band entrance as they arrived, I was just passing, prob looking for the loo, they all mobbed Annie and I went along with it and she kissed us all. I’m guessing she remembers it as well and also still recalls it on her social media channels. The other thing I remember was they were absolutely fantastic - close between them and the Specials as the best nights I had at the Sandpiper.

Another tenuous one was queuing for security at Brussels airport after a work trip, the security hall was absolutely crammed. I looked over the crowd and there was this huge guy with a mass of black curly hair standing seemingly 2 feet above everyone else, Marouane Fellaini - there’s no way that guy could ever travel incognito.

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    Kissed Annie Lennox (it’s true) at the Sandpiper in 79 just before the Tourists hit the big time. I was 17, p*ssed off my skull and didn’t know who was playing but we always went to the Sandpiper Friday nights regardless. There was a group by the band entrance as they arrived, I was just passing, prob looking for the loo, they all mobbed Annie and I went along with it and she kissed us all. I’m guessing she remembers it as well and also still recalls it on her social media channels. The other thing I remember was they were absolutely fantastic - close between them and the Specials as the best nights I had at the Sandpiper.

Another tenuous one was queuing for security at Brussels airport after a work trip, the security hall was absolutely crammed. I looked over the crowd and there was this huge guy with a mass of black curly hair standing seemingly 2 feet above everyone else, Marouane Fellaini - there’s no way that guy could ever travel incognito.
    Wow, Sandpipers in The Lace Market, spent a lot of my misspent youth in there. I don't remember seeing the Tourists there but it is quite possible that I was there that night. I remember me and mates getting into a big fight outside one night with a bunch of skinheads ( must have been 1980) , got arrested but the police let me go when I showed them my Navy ID.

I am married to a woman who once asked David Gower if she could borrow his pepper pot at the adjacent breakfast table because our table didn't have one. She was my girlfriend at the time (1982), and to impress her I took her to a hotel overlooking Lords cricket ground for a couple of nights. Ian Botham, Derek Randall and Bob Willis sat a couple of tables away. When I told her she had just borrowed David Gower's pepper, she said "Who's David Gower"? In hindsight, watching the test match highlights that night probably wasn't the most romantic thing to do, but she still puts up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeayeskipper View Post
    Wow, Sandpipers in The Lace Market, spent a lot of my misspent youth in there. I don't remember seeing the Tourists there but it is quite possible that I was there that night. I remember me and mates getting into a big fight outside one night with a bunch of skinheads ( must have been 1980) , got arrested but the police let me go when I showed them my Navy ID.
    There were a lot of fights with skinheads outside the Sandpiper. I used to avoid it on Saturday nights as it was frequented by the Green Jacket boys from over the river, one of who was a good mate of mine. A lovely bloke when Fword weren’t playing - though not the sort to get on the wrong side of, if he hit you you stayed hit.

I stood right behind Bill Maynard (Greengrass from Heartbeat) in the old main stand when we played Bradford. He was drinking tea out of a quart mug with Bradford Bulls on it..
    Or did I dream that bit.. 🤔

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast