+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr wellans

Mr wellans

Welcome to Richie let’s all get behind him he as virchally a blank canvas to start with so it will be interesting to see who he brings in and let’s hope not too many loans

I was hoping for Stephen Robinson to get the job. He is a manager with a decent record of managing top sides. Instead we have signed the worst manager I could have hoped to avoid. I didn't like his attitude as a player and can't understand why fans seem to think ex-Rovers payers will make good Rovers managers. Butler failed and I expect Coppinger wouldn't necessarily make a good manager. Moore didn't do us much good as he walked away and dumped us. Wellens hasn't managed a top side and was most likely just the cheapest option. I will predict now we will NOT be in the playoffs at the end of the season and hopefully he will be gone. I will never support him and cannot comprehend, other than cost, why we have ended up with him. I was optimistic when we signed Ferguson, McCann and (to some degree) Moore but I think this time the board has taken leave of their senses. At least some of our previous managers have now got their teams promoted from this league. I don't see Wellens having good contacts within Premier League and Championship clubs where loans are critical for us.

We can only wait and see, but we finished in a poor state and I don't see things are likely to improve.

I was hoping for a blank canvas after our appalling finish to the season.
    Balcombe Robertson Smith Richards Sims Simoes have all gone home back to their clubs.
    We are potentially dropping only Halliday James Wright Gomes Amos Hasani.
    But we are still keeping Anderson Bogle Okenabirhie Taylor Jones Bostock Williams Butler John Greeves Horton Blythe, many of whom contributed to our decline. That's too many for me.

Silver iam soory you feel that way about Wellens but lease give him a chance As for a blank canvas as I see it we need a back up keeper 3or4 defenders 2 or 3 midfielders and decent striker He might come over as a bit arrogant and full of himself but I hope his confidence rubs off on the players anyway we will just wait and see

Do I think Richie Wellens is a better manager than Darren Moore? No.

Do I think we have a stronger squad than we started last season when we finished 14th? No.

We have lost 6 contracted players (Halliday, James, Gomes, Lokilo, Amos, Coppinger).

We have lost 7 loan players (Balcombe, Robertson, Smith, Richards, John-Jules, Sims, Simoes).

We have signed 10 new players (Close, Knoyle, Williams, Rowe, Smith, Hiwula, Cukur, Barlow, Dahlberg, Gardner) with a pedigree of Portsmouth, Cambridge, Shrewsbury, Oldham (hardly a promotion winning squad). The squad seems to reduce each season.

Even though Wellens arrived right at the start of the transfer window some signings have never even played with the rest of the squad and the first game is tomorrow. We have trialled loads of players from the top 2 divisions and signed only a few, so what was the point of trialling so many?

Every club in the EFL has suffered financial loss but I see far better signings at other league one clubs. You could believe only Rovers have suffered financially in the past year.

Do I think there will be friction between Wellens and the board by the end of the year? Definitely.

I expect Rovers to be mid-table at the New Year and trying to avoid relegation at the end of the year, but I will be happy to be proved wrong. We can only wait and see what happens in the first 6 games. No doubt fans will be elated if we win the first game, but Wimbledon are unlikely to be a strong side this season.

I will be interested to know what everyone thinks about our prospects this season.
    Last edited by SilverTop60; 06-08-2021 at 11:19 PM.

Have been today and I’m as disappointed as anyone but I’m not going to condem anyone new squad and going to take time to vela’s for where we will finish to early to call

On the 17th May did I not say what I think of the board appointing Wellens as manager? Was I not right? He is totally out of his depth trying to manage this squad or even build a decent one. 6 months on and look where we are.

Paul Dickov was a poor manager and after 15 games we had won 4, drawn 4 and lost 7, and we were 18th.
    Under Richie Wellens after 15 games we have won 3, drawn 2 and lost 10 and we are 23rd.

We are being beaten by the worst in the league and heading into league two. Wellens is away with the fairies and thinks he is a good manager although all the evidence is to the contrary. The board are standing by watching the club unravel at the hands of Wellens.
    We are getting what we deserve.

I give my respect to the board for actually doing the unthinkable and removing Wellens. End of a bad era at last.
    Let's hope we get a far better manager this time and I feel we can have some hope of staying up now.
    Come Rovers.

I don't think the board were too keen on confronting an extremely disgruntled public at the 'meet the owners' event later this month with Wellens still in charge, so his recent sacking and more importantly the January transfer window are probably the two main reasons behind the timing... The question remains : Which potential managers currently on the market (or not) are capable of getting us out of the mess we're in ?

The date for the MTO has only just been announced so I am a little surprised by their timing. It is bound to be packed out (as usual) with endless questions about what went wrong, who will be the new manager and what is the way forward now. I will be there.

Latest odds at 03/12:
    Gary McSheffrey 4/1, Jonathan Woodgate 8/1, Simon Grayson 8/1, Michael Flynn 10/1, Neil Warnock 10/1, John O'Shea 10/1, Graham Coughlan 10/1, Gavin Strachan 12/1, Paul Simpson 12/1, Neil Harris 12/1, Pete Wild 12/1, Aidy Boothroyd 12/1, Nigel Adkins 12/1, Chris Beech 12/1, Danny Wilson 14/1, David Artell 16/1, Sol Campbell 16/1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast