+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T What would you pay?

Crash would buy brown toilet paper from Aldi if they sold it

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Crash would buy brown toilet paper from Aldi if they sold it
    Here's one for you gm_gm. Sunday September 15th 1985. Location The Belfry. Occasion Ryder Cup/CAMiller's 25th birthday. Before the day's play began bought a commemorative sweater and paid for what in today's money I estimate was about $500. End of the day Sam Torrance sank the put and Europe won for the first time in 28 years. I was a happy chappy with a lighter wallet but a nice jumper

I bought a wris****ch that cost the same as my first house. Luckily it doubled in value to the price of my second house in about three years. So it worked out a lot cheaper than a Timex!

Edit: Well that's a revelation...never noticed the word **** appears in wris****ch.
    Last edited by Lasterman; 18-05-2021 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Revelation

bit of a S****horpe moment .

No food splurges in SY then except Scum's tipple, Brin's Malbec bargain hunting and ELKs search a good mince pie deal? Surely someone has ventured beyond the 0.99 garlic buttered mushrooms starter at the Berni Inn
    Last edited by CAMiller; 18-05-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Chances are it'll appreciate though CT just like Lol's Opal did. What about expensive purchases that you knew were money 'down the drain' or possibly 'down the neck'
    There must be a C F Booth streak in me, CAM, since I really do baulk at buying overpriced stuff.

While I didn't pay for it since we were on somebody else's credit card for a business dinner, I remember sharing a bottle of what was supposedly a good Talbot Bordeaux about 25 years ago which was listed at £125 (About £250 in todays money.) I was really looking forward to discovering what an expensive French wine tasted like and being very disappointed since it was really nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    There must be a C F Booth streak in me, CAM, since I really do baulk at buying overpriced stuff.

While I didn't pay for it since we were on somebody else's credit card for a business dinner, I remember sharing a bottle of what was supposedly a good Talbot Bordeaux about 25 years ago which was listed at £125 (About £250 in todays money.) I was really looking forward to discovering what an expensive French wine tasted like and being very disappointed since it was really nothing special.
    Nothing wrong with that CT. I think it's the norm for people born and bred in post war Rotherham. I've tried but haven't been 100% successful in passing the gene on to my girls, not helped by them growing up in a post Y2K US (or maybe just a post Y2K world?)

My purchase and subsequent wise investment was not in food or jewelry but my Juke Box. The good lady thought I was bonkers paying what I did but, it was a childhood thing to always own one and I've achieved it.

Initial outlay of £5k might sound a lot back in 2001, however, to buy the same one now would cost £10k so, I think I've invested wisely.
    A recent service which included a new laser and blue tooth added, came to £450 but money well invested as it's fully up to date and will go for another 20 years minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    My purchase and subsequent wise investment was not in food or jewelry but my Juke Box. The good lady thought I was bonkers paying what I did but, it was a childhood thing to always own one and I've achieved it.

Initial outlay of £5k might sound a lot back in 2001, however, to buy the same one now would cost £10k so, I think I've invested wisely.
    A recent service which included a new laser and blue tooth added, came to £450 but money well invested as it's fully up to date and will go for another 20 years minimum.
    FFS

Change the record Brin

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    FFS

Change the record Brin
    Why have I mentioned this before?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast