+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shankland misses out on Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by BackRowArab View Post
    I think it just says everything about the negative Scottish mentality. Any other country would be excited that there was a 19 year old full back coming through that was good enough for the national team. In Scotland, we have to show why a guy shouldn't be picked.
    thats very true mate. I am a miserable old cvnt tbf. I feel disconnected - and have done for decades - to Scotland setup. Liked some of the choices clarke was making then maybe im jumping at wrong conclusions. I am the last person to rate scotland as i rarely watch.

And just to show that I'm not a totally positive person, I do think Gauld should have been picked over Fleck

I think it just says everything about the negative Scottish mentality. Any other country would be excited that there was a 19 year old full back coming through that was good enough for the national team. In Scotland, we have to show why a guy shouldn't be picked.
    Quite possibly it is negative but there are plenty of players at varying positions throughout the years whom have shown early promise as good as Nathan Patterson has; if not better but by virtue of the shirt they wear at club level they are not deemed to be as good as a similar player in an OF shirt or at one point; playing in the EFL.

I am all for young talent; but i expect when Kerr Smith, Archie Meekison linked with so called better clubs than Rangers reach 19; will be doing a longer apprenticeship in the U21s etc. than Nathan Patterson, Billy Gilmour, David Turnbull; but i wish him the best of luck

Whilst I think about it, surprised also that Johnny Russell hasn't made the cut, notwithstanding C19 and he is definitely better than John Fleck

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    Quite possibly it is negative but there are plenty of players at varying positions throughout the years whom have shown early promise as good as Nathan Patterson has; if not better but by virtue of the shirt they wear at club level they are not deemed to be as good as a similar player in an OF shirt or at one point; playing in the EFL.

I am all for young talent; but i expect when Kerr Smith, Archie Meekison linked with so called better clubs than Rangers reach 19; will be doing a longer apprenticeship in the U21s etc. than Nathan Patterson, Billy Gilmour, David Turnbull; but i wish him the best of luck

Whilst I think about it, surprised also that Johnny Russell hasn't made the cut, notwithstanding C19 and he is definitely better than John Fleck
    Difference there is Smith and Meekison are playing in positions where Scotland have a ton of depth so it would be harder to break into the squad, whereas right back is an area where Scotland have struggled for years (hence why Stephen O'Donnell has been a regular there for the past couple of years). Although in saying that, if Kerr Smith stays with United for the next three years I have no doubt he will be capped by Scotland by the age of 19.

Difference there is Smith and Meekison are playing in positions where Scotland have a ton of depth so it would be harder to break into the squad, whereas right back is an area where Scotland have struggled for years (hence why Stephen O'Donnell has been a regular there for the past couple of years). Although in saying that, if Kerr Smith stays with United for the next three years I have no doubt he will be capped by Scotland by the age of 19.
    I personally dont think it matters. He plays for rangers and is in. Easy decision for him. Harder to analyse a player at utd, st js, aberdeen than at rangers or celtic or to get my point across outside central belt. Motherwell, hibs, hearts, st mirren all given a focus just behind OF then aberdeen may also be included in that. My main point is surely we must look to some guys scrapping to survive at times. OF players dont get tested apart from european games. OF players get to our first major tournament in decades because they played well winning 4-0. wont have that type of luxury in euros. just a thought.

As for Kerr Smith if he had played 7 games for us and was 19 would he have got in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    As for Kerr Smith if he had played 7 games for us and was 19 would he have got in?
    If the depth of talent at centre back was as thin as it is at right back then you never know.

If not Patterson, then who should have been the second choice right back?

David Turnbull has been one of the best midfielders in Scotland this season and due to the depth of midfielders that we have will probably be on the bench for all three games. And you are thinking that guys like Liam Polworth and Iain Vigurs should be looked at?

If the depth of talent at centre back was as thin as it is at right back then you never know.

David Turnbull has been one of the best midfielders in Scotland this season and due to the depth of midfielders that we have will probably be on the bench for all three games. And you are thinking that guys like Liam Polworth and Iain Vigurs should be looked at?
    Just passing comment, Scotland's centre back options are terrifying. Our two best centre backs are a centre midfielder and a left back. I'd take England's 10th choice centre back over any of our 'natural' centre backs.

If you're good enough, you're good enough. End of. Doesn't matter how old you are or how much experience you have. Patterson is a very good right back and one will be our first choice for a long time. That goes for Gilmour also. He's playing at the highest level a footballer can possibly play at. The fact he's only played a handful of games doesn't matter imo. The fact he's broken into a Chelsea team in the middle of the park speaks volumes for his ability. Finally we have some cracking kids coming through, we should be getting excited about them, not greeting because they play for Rangers or the alternative used to play for Utd and has finally broken into a Portuguese top league side after 5 years of asking.

turnbull 100% right backs dunno if our criteria is OF youngsters with no experience then thats cool

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    If you're good enough, you're good enough. End of. Doesn't matter how old you are or how much experience you have. Patterson is a very good right back and one will be our first choice for a long time. That goes for Gilmour also. He's playing at the highest level a footballer can possibly play at. The fact he's only played a handful of games doesn't matter imo. The fact he's broken into a Chelsea team in the middle of the park speaks volumes for his ability. Finally we have some cracking kids coming through, we should be getting excited about them, not greeting because they play for Rangers or the alternative used to play for Utd and has finally broken into a Portuguese top league side after 5 years of asking.
    do you watch a lot of rangers games? just asking. i dont. so thats maybe my downfall.

If you do - why?

another point to my note here TA and others dont watch 90 mins of rangers games every week. Stevie does. talent is talent yes but being prudent and vigilent is also a requirement. I dont think his inclusion is merited. regardless if he is ronaldo of a right back. he hasnt earned it yet baby.

oh an stevie doesnt watch every team 90 mins he has his west coast team to do that - has he seen gilmour at all prob just highlights but as the press love to push ex gers and gers he is convinced. Total bollox and why we are sh!te as a nation. No wonder every player at 15 wants a move from lesser clubs
    Last edited by Shedboy1971; 20-05-2021 at 12:56 PM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)