+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuno

Nuno

Thanks for everything Nuno, feeling a bit surprised and shellshocked about this to be honest . The best Wolves Manager in my lifetime, a magical few seasons...

A big surprise in some ways, but with the Covid situation and his family still in Portugal not unexpected. He has given us three great seasons and one difficult one. Thanks for what you have done Nuno, you will always be remembered by most of the supporters.

Will leave behind plenty of good memories, a genuine decent guy, but his time was up no doubt about that.

Sad to see him go! This season has been rough, but I still had faith we would get back into European contention next year under him. But I can understand his decision. Too bad he won't get a proper send off from Wolves supporters with the pandemic. He deserved a standing ovation from all supporters after the match on Sunday. He's one of the managers that really seems to value the fans as well. He lived and died with each and every result with the rest of us.

This could be the end of an era, or the start of a new one. The next appointment is going to be so important if we want to progress. The last few years have been superb, both with results and signings. Add to that the European adventure, watching players like Jimenez, Moutinho, and Neves in the flesh and seeing the youngsters like Neto, Ait Nouri and others develop.

We have a terrific base to build from, let us all hope it is a construction process and not demolition. I hope that an appointment is made soon, so that proper preparations can be made for the coming season.

Two names already being banded about, Paulo Fonseca and Bruno Lage. Don't know much about them apart from Paulo being young and from Portugal and Bruno being a former manager of Benfica.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    This could be the end of an era, or the start of a new one. The next appointment is going to be so important if we want to progress. The last few years have been superb, both with results and signings. Add to that the European adventure, watching players like Jimenez, Moutinho, and Neves in the flesh and seeing the youngsters like Neto, Ait Nouri and others develop.

We have a terrific base to build from, let us all hope it is a construction process and not demolition. I hope that an appointment is made soon, so that proper preparations can be made for the coming season.
    Thats been my experience over the last few years too Abbo, it's been an absolute privilege to be in the ground to watch. Reading around the web it appears that Fosun decided it was time for change to keep things moving forward, I guess it's been a flat season and we can't afford to start next season the same way... Good luck to Fosun finding a worthy replacement who can improve on what Nuno acheived!

I'm looking forward to going on Sunday, it's just a shame the ground wont be full he deserves a proper send off.

sad to read this. best memories for me were in the champs when the team was scoring and winning. had some tidy moments in the prem tbf an all.
    No doubt the reasons for his departure will soon unfold.
    whoever takes over will need to
    improve an in affective forward line and a non existent mid field

be interesting to see which players now leave

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    Thanks for everything Nuno, feeling a bit surprised and shellshocked about this to be honest . The best Wolves Manager in my lifetime, a magical few seasons...
    Norton, you have echoed my thoughts. I'm hoping he's quitting Molineux to go back to be with his family in Portugal.

We had a dream!

For the best part of 40 years a lot of us have had a dream of seeing Wolverhampton Wanderers again competing amongst the 'Elite'. We flirted with it briefly, twice in the 2000's, first under Dave Jones, then under Mick but to be honest it ended up being more of a nightmare. I've lost count of the managers since John Barnwell who last brought a meaningful trophy back to Molineux. Graham Turner will always be a Wolves legend for that unforgettable period when he , Bully and Mutch restored pride to this famous old club, bringing them back from the depths of disparity to respectability. A Phoenix rising from the Ashes so to speak. But even then, the promised land of glory always seemed to be that bit far off.

Five years ago Fosun took the helm. A new dawn, so we thought, but a low placed finish in The Championship under Lambert, succeeding the flambouyant but limited Zenga wasn't exactly the start we dreamed of. And then came Nuno. Who? None of us had heard of him, it was a 'masterstroke', we had our Messiah.

Nuno had a dream, our dream, and boy how he made it a reality. We walked the Championship that first year, but we did it in a way that more than suggested that this foray into the Premier League would be a bit better than the forays of Jones and McCarthy. The record will tell you the rest, two 7th placed finishes, an F.A. Cup Semi-Final and a march through Europe. We started that campaign in July, going through the qualifiers, we finished it over a year later, in the quarters. Yeah, we were back alright.

This season has been surreal, no pre-season, 3 days in truth to get ready for this campaign. No fans, ridiculous fixture lists, that applied to all the teams to be fair, injuries that you couldn't imagine yet we still finished respectably given the circumstances.

Nuno has made that dream a reality. Every good thing has to end. Part of me is gutted, part of me understands, it's time to move on. For him, and for us.

I trust Fosun will make the right appointment to replace him, they still have a dream.

I can't remember, in my lifetime a manager of our club that hasn't reached that point that he has to leave. This is the first time. He's only been here for 4 years but the football he has brought to this club in that time marks him out as a Wolves legend. He's up there with Cullis and Buckley. They all dramatically changed Wolves for the better.

I've had a dream for years. I am of an age where, as a kid I saw the last truly great Wolves sides of the 1970's. Dougan, Richards, Bailey, Hibbitt, Munroe, Parkin and Wagstaff. I've dreamt for so long the kids of today in Wolverhampton will get a chance to experience that very same feeling. Nuno has given it to them. Coady, Neves, Moutinho, Jiminez, Jota, Johnny, Doherty, Boly, Neto and Traore, and all the others that were necessary and inspirational of making those teams so memorable.

Yes we 'Had a Dream', Nuno made it come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)