+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - nul points

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Yes...each to their own, agreed...but no...I’d grown out of Eurovision before I hit puberty, and I’m no more likely to start watching it now than I am to watch Mrs. Browns Boys, go to a Cliff Richard concert, vote Tory or start supporting Forest. Just not for me thanks, but happy birthday Bobby D...80 today!
    Yes and as tuneless as ever! I do like some of his compositions though, in the hands of others

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Yes and as tuneless as ever! I do like some of his compositions though, in the hands of others
    Lol...perhaps it’s you who needs to ‘get out of your comfort zone more’, Mr. F.

Lol...perhaps it’s you who needs to ‘get out of your comfort zone more’, Mr. F.
    You picked the wrong fellah there, way back when I was at school I got in a 'discussion' about Dylan with my English teacher Mr Young (ex drummer to Tom Jones back in the day around Swansea clubs and also in The Bystanders, who became Man), and payment for losing a bet made as part of discussion that I agreed to listen in depth to every Bob Dylan album for the rest of my (or I guess Dylan's) life whether I liked it or not. I adjudged 'in depth' to be two whole listens. Starting with 'Blood On The Tracks' I've kept my word, and I'm yet to hear an album I can listen to more than half a side of without getting a headache.
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 24-05-2021 at 05:06 PM.

You picked the wrong fellah there, way back when I was at school I got in a 'discussion' about Dylan with my English teacher Mr Young (ex drummer to Tom Jones back in the day around Swansea clubs and also in The Bystanders, who became Man), and payment for losing a bet made as part of discussion that I agreed to listen in depth to every Bob Dylan album for the rest of my (or I guess Dylan's) life whether I liked it or not. I adjudged 'in depth' to be two whole listens. Starting with 'Blood On The Tracks' I've kept my word, and I'm yet to hear an album I can listen to more than half a side of without getting a headache.
    Oh well...as we agreed earlier, each to their own. As ever, with individuals from Picasso to Warhol and Dylan to Lennon there’s some nonsense that we’re not allowed to ‘call out’ because of their labels as ‘greats’...but overall I doubt there’s any other single individual who has contributed as much to modern popular musical and lyrical culture as Bob Dylan...but well done for being honest. No point in just admiring someone just because you’re ‘meant to’.

Oh well...as we agreed earlier, each to their own. As ever, with individuals from Picasso to Warhol and Dylan to Lennon there’s some nonsense that we’re not allowed to ‘call out’ because of their labels as ‘greats’...but overall I doubt there’s any other single individual who has contributed as much to modern popular musical and lyrical culture as Bob Dylan...but well done for being honest. No point in just admiring someone just because you’re ‘meant to’.
    I go back to what I said a few posts ago, I DO appreciate some of his compositions. I also find his craft and the course of his life through music interesting. The BBC radio series run recently added to that interest. I've always liked what I've liked regardless of the current fashion, which is why I was at a Budgie gig in Stafford the night my mates saw The *** Pistols at the 76 Club!

The S ex Pistols are a classic case in point imo. Meant to be so influential so they’re supposed to be admired, but to me they offered nothing and Johnny Rotten is one of the least talented performers I’ve ever seen.

Still, not many threads will take you from Eurovision to Dylan and the Se x Pistols via Bashir, Charles and Diana, the BBC, Welsh Rock Legends and your old English teacher.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-05-2021 at 07:20 PM.

The S ex Pistols are a classic case in point imo. Meant to be so influential so they’re supposed to be admired, but to me they offered nothing and Johnny Rotten is one of the least talented performers I’ve ever seen.

Still, not many threads will take you from Eurovision to Dylan and the Se x Pistols via Bashir, Charles and Diana, the BBC, Welsh Rock Legends and your old English teacher.
    Is this a sign its the close season?

One of my sporadic professionally issued bits of journalism (entitled as I recall 'The Band Who Murdered Punk', I've lost the piece over the years) made the case for Van Halen 1 being a better album than NMTB. If you think the Brexit thread got feisty, you should have been part of THAT discussion!

Is this a sign its the close season?

One of my sporadic professionally issued bits of journalism (entitled as I recall 'The Band Who Murdered Punk', I've lost the piece over the years) made the case for Van Halen 1 being a better album than NMTB. If you think the Brexit thread got feisty, you should have been part of THAT discussion!
    Doubt you’ll get the same response on here, Andy. Could do an all time top 10 finest/most influential albums thread I suppose.

Is this a sign it’s the close season’? Maybe...probably more a sign that no one seems to know what the duck is going on and until we do then even the normal close season forum fillers of what/who do we need and what can we expect next season aren’t even possible.
    Our own possible misbehaviour and the EFL ‘joysuckers’ have seen to that.

Quite like NMtB! Punk was meant to be a rebellion, not just politically, but musically in response to the over complexity and frilly-ness of the 70's prog / metal scene: just grab a guitar, thrash some power chords (badly) and shout.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    just grab a guitar, thrash some power chords (badly) and shout.
    Certainly sums up the S ex Pistols for me. Whereas bands like the Clash, the Undertones, Ian Drury, the Ramones and the Stooges (amongst others) made real musical contributions.

I remember the arrival of the S ex Pistols brand of punk...gigs moved from ‘stoned love’ to people gobbing at each other...brilliant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)