+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek McInnes

Derek McInnes

Hi

McInnes is being touted as the next manager of The Albion something which is popular with a number of our fans. This seems to be based on

He was a great captain and leader for us when we first got promoted to the Premier League.

He is a thoroughly good chap and loyal.

He's available for nothing.

I'm not convinced any of these make him a good choice. The only thing I know of him as a manager was at Bristol City where he was abysmal. The new manager will be expected to get us promoted at the first attempt, have a lot of recruiting to do as our loan players leave, have some good youngsters and a budget bigger than most of our rivals.

You guys know him best.Thoughts?

He'll get a hard time on here, mostly unfairly in my opinion. He did a job for us, exactly what we needed at the time. We won our first cup in a long time under him and we punched above our weight in a few of our europa campaigns.

Went stale after a few seasons though and he didn't know how to fix it. Poor signings, poor tactics and poor dad dancing after the odd occasion we did win.

Who?

Prepare to be bored.

If your club can get a decent recruitment/ scouting operation on the go he'll do ok, but you'll never confuse what you're watching with 1970 Brazil.

McInnes has no plan B. He works out one way of playing which might work well to begin with, and if he has the right players, but it will eventually get found out by opposition managers. If he loses one or two key players he will persist with it using players out of position etc, which will turn into a shambles. In our case his first 3/4 years were good, we had some exciting players in their prime who were able to execute the style and system - ie Hayes, McGinn, Rooney, Shinnie, Jack, McLean etc. There would be other occassions where we'd be on a winning run and inexplicably he'd make changes to the system and personnel trying to be clever, which would innevitably end in disaster. I'd say he's limited tactically - he thinks he's smarter than he actually is - we did well for a few years because he had some really good players more than anything else.

He also signs players without thinking about where they're actually going to fit into the team - we ended up with about 100 defensive midfielders at one point. He always has to have a huge lump of wood up front as well.

To be fair, he WAS a good manager to begin with - he just outstayed his welcome, and the last 2-3 years were unbelievably boring and stale. Wish him well wherever he ends up though.

The last 3 years were terrible, he was very negative, especially in big games where he often peed his pants. He does do some weird team selections, like he picked the names out of a tombola.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    McInnes has no plan B. He works out one way of playing which might work well to begin with, and if he has the right players, but it will eventually get found out by opposition managers. If he loses one or two key players he will persist with it using players out of position etc, which will turn into a shambles. In our case his first 3/4 years were good, we had some exciting players in their prime who were able to execute the style and system - ie Hayes, McGinn, Rooney, Shinnie, Jack, McLean etc. There would be other occassions where we'd be on a winning run and inexplicably he'd make changes to the system and personnel trying to be clever, which would innevitably end in disaster. I'd say he's limited tactically - he thinks he's smarter than he actually is - we did well for a few years because he had some really good players more than anything else.

He also signs players without thinking about where they're actually going to fit into the team - we ended up with about 100 defensive midfielders at one point. He always has to have a huge lump of wood up front as well.

To be fair, he WAS a good manager to begin with - he just outstayed his welcome, and the last 2-3 years were unbelievably boring and stale. Wish him well wherever he ends up though.
    This is a very good summary tbf - pretty spot on.

He's a good manager - not a great one.

Sorted us out and got us back to where we should be after years of abject mismanagement on and off the park, but he then hit his ceiling and couldn't do any more - sadly that was 3 years ago and it took the club 3 years to realise this resulting in stultifying, dreadful football for most of that period.

My main criticism is he is unbelievably cautious as a manager. He only ever worries about stopping the opposition and what they might do to you, instead of focusing on what you could do to them. That's the case regardless of who you are playing. Its incredibly frustrating.

The result is tedious, negative, safety first football. I don't think WBA fans want that.

His style of football (certainly last few years) is also dreadful to watch. Constant hoofball to a big target man. We did play some nice stuff at the start of last season when we had 3 actual footballers up front, but that was kind of forced by accident because of injuries - he soon resorted to type.

I think from your point of view Bristol City is a good comparison. I don't think he has it at Championship level.

Aberdeen are the biggest club he'll ever manage - and that includes if he goes to WBA

Brilliant at grinding out wins against teams he should be humping. He was very unlucky in that the teams he faced in the big games had bigger budgets, more balanced squads, fitter players, better mentality, worked harder, sometimes brought on subs when they were needed, were flexible with their tactics & generally played better football.

If it wasn’t for that, he would’ve won a few more trophies during a golden era of opportunity in Scottish football

Not much to add to what has already been said. You would have got a more positive answer if you had asked the same question when he had been here for 3-4 seasons rather than the 8 he ended up here as the last three painful seasons inevitably colour people's judgement. Given the average lifespan of a manager in the top two divisions in England is not much more than 2-3 seasons he would probably do a good enough job for you guys if he is inheriting a decent squad assuming the objective is a promotion and grinding out results to stay in the Premiership, but as others have said don't expect to be highly entertained, it will be effective football and not much more. It is absolutely true that he should have won more trophies up here than he did but I don't suppose that will be your main objective over the new few seasons!!

Good luck with whomever you end up appointing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast