+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your Summer Sporting Fix

The new Olympic sports. I understand the idea of adding in newer (younger) sports in order to keep the kids engaged. Here's my view on them.

Skateboard is a jury sport and doesn't match the "Faster, Higher, Stronger" Olympic motto. Having said that, that makes it no different to more established olympic sports like diving and gymnastics so that can't be a reason for keeping it out. Same goes for the surfing. Also for one of the 2 karate disciplines which is basically shadow boxing with points given for content and skill. I suppose I'm an old fart on this but I'd leave them all out. As they are in nd not likely to be ditched I'll just have to accept it. I will admit that, in my youth I did do some competitive diving but was never good enough to get anywhere. Did make 2 county swimming finals though.

Karate shadow boxing. I won't be watching it again.

The surfing and skateboarding didn't float my boat either.

The big surprise to me was the age of the female medallists in the 2 skateboard events. They were one aged 12, 3 at 13, one at 16 and one at 19. A total of 86. An average at 14.33.

Just seen the men's skateboard. More spectacular than the women's but my boat still hasn't floated.

So my Mum, at 89, could have won all 6 medals, or am I interpreting this wrongly?

Your jury sport exclusion preference is interesting, so there goes synchronised swimming - hmm, yes, you make a fair point! And all of the ice dancing / figure skating at the winter olympics, and elements of the ski jumping re style points.

I do think too many new sports are being introduced that dont currently have global appeal (eg when they tried to introduce baseball a few olympiads back) but what's the best way to get those sports to a wider audience: publicity at the olympics. Its Catch 22

What I do object to is the inclusion of ultra professional sportspersons into what surely is supposed to reflect the amateur corinthian ideal. NBA basketball players, pro tour golf and tennis players - but in this day and age where almost all sportspeople, even if called amateur, command substantial remuneration.... this argument is on the road to nowhere

As you say, the simple answer is to turn off the stuff that doesnt appeal

The Olympics has reminded me a little of ‘Grandstand’ in the sixties which was about the only time we saw sports such as cycling, swimming and equestrian events...albeit in black and white...on Saturday afternoons
    Embracing new and up and coming sports though is, imo, a good thing and there can be little doubt that some of them are very entertaining, skilful and largely amateur eg speed climbing which was, again imo, spectacularly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    1. So my Mum, at 89, could have won all 6 medals, or am I interpreting this wrongly?

2. Your jury sport exclusion preference is interesting, so there goes synchronised swimming - hmm, yes, you make a fair point! And all of the ice dancing / figure skating at the winter olympics, and elements of the ski jumping re style points.

1. I think you interpret wrongly. I was meaning that it's quite astounding that the 6 medallists are so young

2. Jury sports don't fit the motto for one. Secondly, you often see Eurovision style marks where, for instance, former Eastern Bloc countries will be "kind" to one another. In the diving, I remember Greg Louganis, a very good American diver back in the 80s. He often scored high and deservedly so. I've also seen competitions where he scored high when the dive didn't deserve it. He got the marks for his reputation, not the dive he had just perofrmed. Torvill & Dean's Bolero got maximum marks all across he board. Totally wrong IMO. The rules at the time were that there should be certain variations, certain things were not allowed. They didn't conform to the variation rules and they ahd some moves that weren't allowed. They should have got zero if the judges had followed the rules. Don't get me wrong, it was a good routine, very enjoyable to watch. It just broke a host of rules and should have been treated accordingly, IMO.

.... and then the government decided that, due to Corona, the Dutch F1 at Zandvoort is only allowed to be 2/3 full. All 3 days were sold out. The four of us had bought and paid for our tickets nest part of 2 years ago. Earlier this week they held the "draw" to see who would miss out. You guessed it, out group misses out.

I just thought "Sod's Law". My lad was livid.

it was the hope that killed him/you - part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    it was the hope that killed him/you - part 2
    Not really.There's a football game to win tomorrow and rub Gibson's nose in it. Another one Tuesday and the biggie on the 28th.

The tickets we have are now nailed on guarantees for 2022...... provided the race take place and spectators are allowed in. Hope sprngs eternal.

Now, jog on and keep your negativity to yourself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)