+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: England Squad

England Squad

No place for Paddy B in the provisional 33 - seems a little harsh.

We got an extra half player in though as Ben White was selected.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    No place for Paddy B in the provisional 33 - seems a little harsh.

We got an extra half player in though as Ben White was selected.
    Agreed, a little harsh. I have seen both Ollie Watkins and Dominic Calvert-Leuwin play this year. Watkins is a goal poacher. No more no less. Calvert-Leuwin is tremendous in the air. Better than Lord Bamford. Barndoor though has become very good at moving into scoring positions for team mates to pass the ball. Also, Barndoor is a good defender, certainly better than these two. Bamford scored more League goals this season than both these two. England team are probably set up better for Calvert-Leuwin and Watkins. So i am not really fussed. Lets see how these 3 do in the league next season, especially come selection time for World Cup 2022.

On a selfish view, I'd rather all our players were fresh for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    On a selfish view, I'd rather all our players were fresh for next season.
    Amen. None of the national teams that make up UK will succeed, and its unlikely any of the national teams to which the likes of Meslier, Koch, Rodrigo etc will go will do any better.

Blunt maybe but would prefer none to play even if named in a side, and they all come back uninjured and ready for what is likely to be a much harder test in our second season back where we belong.

I get all the replies saying not the end of the world that some of our players won't be at the Euro's, at least they can get a break

That being said, it would have been a fantastic reward for the likes of Bamford, Harrison and Ayling if they had gotten a call up. What a way to finish your 1st season in the PL.

Might also have made the Euros watchable for once!

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    I get all the replies saying not the end of the world that some of our players won't be at the Euro's, at least they can get a break

That being said, it would have been a fantastic reward for the likes of Bamford, Harrison and Ayling if they had gotten a call up. What a way to finish your 1st season in the PL.

Might also have made the Euros watchable for once!
    Yup - their performances deserved some form of recognition . As many fans and pundits have commented since the squads was announced Bamford is the closest to Kane if Kane gets injured but I agree at least they won’t get injured

I honestly don't get it.

Harrison 8 goals 8 assists and most goal invovlements in England squad outside Kane

Bamford 17 goals 7 assists.....stats say it all really, Watkins has like 13, Calvert Lewin 16 and neither of them any assists. Apparently Watkins is in because he is good at 'pressing'......literally Bamfords strength.

Ayling is one I understand, he isn't good enough. Great for us but he does get mugged off constantly by good wingers and with amount of right backs England have he isn't going to get a chance unless its in a Friendly and just a pity call up which would still be amazing.

The recognition would have nice

However, getting subjected to the expectation of doing well as a team and coming up short as usual is demoralizing. Losing is just as contagious as winning.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    The recognition would have nice

However, getting subjected to the expectation of doing well as a team and coming up short as usual is demoralizing. Losing is just as contagious as winning.
    I'm tempted to put them on to not get out of the group stages tbh.

Dour 0-0 draw with Croatia or they'll win

Lose 1-0 to Scotland as they'll defend but play with a lot of passion and we won't be able to break them

Win 2-0 vs Czech Republic but won't be enough.

Southgate is an absolute donkey and he is robbing us of a really exciting team, the fact people celebrated that Semi Final is a joke as it was the easiest World Cup run we ever had or will ever have and it is inexcusable to have not made the final but it is now keeping him in a job. England need someone with a bit of ingenuity and passion in the dugout. Instead we will see 5 at the back with 2 holding mids and hope Kane can score the odd penalty.

Having watched some of our supposed 'super stars' last night playing for Man U I tend to agree with you Joel, they are coming home early. Though I believe they wont play in the first game

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)