+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nuno Replacement Options

Nuno Replacement Options

I've read that the club don't want to find a replacement within three weeks. I think that's important as we will have to change the squad up a little bit due to a new manager's playing style and improvements in personnel need to be made.

Candidates I've seen so far:

1. Bruno Lage - had a very short playing career and started out coaching youth sides in the late 90s and early aughts. Was an assistant with Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea City under Carlos Carvalhal. Managed Benfieca B, then the senior team. Took over after the first match of the new year, a loss. After that went 17-1-0 in league play and won the title. Had them back and forth between 2nd and 1st the following year but after the covid pause, they could not pick up where they left off and dropped a couple matches. Don't know about playing style at all, but a Portuguese manager, so would fit with at least some of our players.

2. Paolo Fonseca - Another Portuguese that has managed the likes of Porto, Braga, Shakhtar Donetsk and most recently Roma. I was not a fan of his Roma teams, as I somewhat follow them in Serie A, but that whole club is a mess. Went from finished top 3 for ~ five straight years and then have slowly fallen down the table and barely qualified for Europa Conference for next season. He might do better in a more organized club like Wolves, but I didn't like what I saw at Roma.

3. Sérgio Conceição - Once again, Portuguese. Currently managing Porto and has multiple league titles as well as a domestic cup trophy. Has also managed Nantes and Braga. I have heard him linked to the Napoli job as well. This one seems least likely.

Haven't seen any other names thrown around much. Don't think anybody but a Portuguese manager seems likely.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    I've read that the club don't want to find a replacement within three weeks. I think that's important as we will have to change the squad up a little bit due to a new manager's playing style and improvements in personnel need to be made.

Candidates I've seen so far:

1. Bruno Lage - had a very short playing career and started out coaching youth sides in the late 90s and early aughts. Was an assistant with Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea City under Carlos Carvalhal. Managed Benfieca B, then the senior team. Took over after the first match of the new year, a loss. After that went 17-1-0 in league play and won the title. Had them back and forth between 2nd and 1st the following year but after the covid pause, they could not pick up where they left off and dropped a couple matches. Don't know about playing style at all, but a Portuguese manager, so would fit with at least some of our players.

2. Paolo Fonseca - Another Portuguese that has managed the likes of Porto, Braga, Shakhtar Donetsk and most recently Roma. I was not a fan of his Roma teams, as I somewhat follow them in Serie A, but that whole club is a mess. Went from finished top 3 for ~ five straight years and then have slowly fallen down the table and barely qualified for Europa Conference for next season. He might do better in a more organized club like Wolves, but I didn't like what I saw at Roma.

3. Sérgio Conceição - Once again, Portuguese. Currently managing Porto and has multiple league titles as well as a domestic cup trophy. Has also managed Nantes and Braga. I have heard him linked to the Napoli job as well. This one seems least likely.

Haven't seen any other names thrown around much. Don't think anybody but a Portuguese manager seems likely.
    Those are the main three candidates being touted, as you say Conceicao appears to be going to Napoli. Fonseca despite an indifferent spell with Roma seems like a good possibility, Lage although he won the Portugese league with Benfica seems the most left field option with his limited experience as a Manager.

Wolves are reported as looking outside Mendes links on this occasion so maybe the Lilles manager Christophe Galtier? He did a great job there over a four year period they've just pipped PSG to the title. Rafa is available as well, would he be interested?

Rumour has it that two were interviewed yesterday so they're not hanging around!

Add Frank Lampard and Zinedine Zidane according to national and local papers, I had to smile at the possibility of Zidane being touted as Wolves manager, Bully he thinks he'd be a good fit

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    Those are the main three candidates being touted, as you say Conceicao appears to be going to Napoli. Fonseca despite an indifferent spell with Roma seems like a good possibility, Lage although he won the Portugese league with Benfica seems the most left field option with his limited experience as a Manager.

Wolves are reported as looking outside Mendes links on this occasion so maybe the Lilles manager Christophe Galtier? He did a great job there over a four year period they've just pipped PSG to the title. Rafa is available as well, would he be interested?

Rumour has it that two were interviewed yesterday so they're not hanging around!
    I wouldn’t be upset with either. Rafa doesn’t excite me but I am very confident he would keep us mid table at the very least. Wouldn’t be the largest departure from Nuno as Rafa starts with an organized defense and goes from there.

Andrea Pirlo sacked by Juventus. He's my favorite player of all time, so let's bring him to Molineux.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    Andrea Pirlo sacked by Juventus. He's my favorite player of all time, so let's bring him to Molineux.
    Rubens hero too, that would keep him here.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    Rubens hero too, that would keep him here.
    Superb player, absolutely agree. A manager, definitely an unknown quantity, too risky for me. Benítez, another no thank you, would just reinforce our backward, sideward passing mentality.

Fonesca is the best realistic bet for me.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)