+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burchnall Ball

Burchnall Ball

Episode #2 of Analysts Bar Podcast is now up. A look at Ian Burchnalls favoured formations, key players and how they fit in and a discussion around a couple of potential signings. Includes some in depth analysis and informative visuals …

Excellent Mr Og and Colin. I'm actually learning something about formations and football tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Excellent Mr Og and Colin. I'm actually learning something about formations and football tactics.
    Cheers, and yeah, me too

Not for me.
    I found it rather dull and like a maths lesson.
    Credit to the chaps for putting it together which will no doubt have its fans.

I remember when we put together a passing goal under Ardley and people starting going on about Ardleyball 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Still makes me laugh thinking about it. You can see though tactically and in our movement, pressing and runs off the ball we've stepped up a level. Under Ardley the man on the ball didn't have many options so went sideways or back again, now he has options, it's night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Yeah, really excellent - good to see a different kind of football podcast. Keep up the great work Or don't! Save up your content and post a bit less (looks like hard work )

The buzzword at the start was 'flexibility'. Maybe this will prove to be one of IB's main strengths.
    What strikes me at the moment is how unorthodox our line-up is right now.
    Every formation shown on the podcast was symmetrical (they nearly always are). You showed the "heat'' graphic for individual players but is there any 'average position' stat available for the whole team on a given day? Because I think it would show we haven't really been playing 5-3-2....it's kind of an asymmetrical 3-2-3-1-1 !

.......................Slocombe
    .......Brindley........Ellis Chicksen
    Kelly-Evans.....Doyle
    ..........Reeves........O'Brien........Miller
    ..........................Rodrigues
    ...............Wootton

With players like Rodrigues, Enzio, Miller, Sam, Roberts....there's no limit to the nightmares you could create for opposition managers by throwing out different asymmetrical formations.
    Imagine going into a game where say O'Brien or Miller was carrying an injury and they had a really inexperienced left back.

......................Slocombe
    .......Brindley.....Rawlinson.....Ellis
    .....................Doyle..................Chicks en
    Enzio.......Reeves........Miller
    .............Rodrigues
    .........................Wootton

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I remember when we put together a passing goal under Ardley and people starting going on about Ardleyball 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Still makes me laugh thinking about it. You can see though tactically and in our movement, pressing and runs off the ball we've stepped up a level. Under Ardley the man on the ball didn't have many options so went sideways or back again, now he has options, it's night and day.
    I like this..spot on..!

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    Not for me.
    I found it rather dull and like a maths lesson.
    Credit to the chaps for putting it together which will no doubt have its fans.
    Fully understand that it’s not for everyone. Have to admit I hated maths at school!

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Yeah, really excellent - good to see a different kind of football podcast. Keep up the great work Or don't! Save up your content and post a bit less (looks like hard work )

The buzzword at the start was 'flexibility'. Maybe this will prove to be one of IB's main strengths.
    What strikes me at the moment is how unorthodox our line-up is right now.
    Every formation shown on the podcast was symmetrical (they nearly always are). You showed the "heat'' graphic for individual players but is there any 'average position' stat available for the whole team on a given day? Because I think it would show we haven't really been playing 5-3-2....it's kind of an asymmetrical 3-2-3-1-1 !

.......................Slocombe
    .......Brindley........Ellis Chicksen
    Kelly-Evans.....Doyle
    ..........Reeves........O'Brien........Miller
    ..........................Rodrigues
    ...............Wootton

With players like Rodrigues, Enzio, Miller, Sam, Roberts....there's no limit to the nightmares you could create for opposition managers by throwing out different asymmetrical formations.
    Imagine going into a game where say O'Brien or Miller was carrying an injury and they had a really inexperienced left back.

......................Slocombe
    .......Brindley.....Rawlinson.....Ellis
    .....................Doyle..................Chicks en
    Enzio.......Reeves........Miller
    .............Rodrigues
    .........................Wootton
    Some very good points there mate, there certainly is the ammunition in the current squad to cause teams a lot of problems with these formations.