+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Leeds Salute - Date of its origin & any personal recollections of it ?

The Leeds Salute - Date of its origin & any personal recollections of it ?

Mum was asked by a few Admins of Leeds Forums about participation numbers being up or down this astonishing season across the Boards.

Helping her working on the numbers answer and I came across this question on The Square Ball Forum.

When did the Leeds Salute actually really start they're asking ?

Anyone on here with the definitive answer or personal memory of it,using it or year first becoming aware of it.

Strangest one for me was whilst watching a touring exotic review show in York a cast member gave me the Leeds Salute halfway through the show in recognition of my Leeds Smiley t-shirt I had on.
    Happens a lot now on the beach over here to - which is great.

http://forum.thesquareball.net/viewt...=1792&start=20

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Mum was asked by a few Admins of Leeds Forums about participation numbers being up or down this astonishing season across the Boards.

Helping her working on the numbers answer and I came across this question on The Square Ball Forum.

When did the Leeds Salute actually really start they're asking ?

Anyone on here with the definitive answer or personal memory of it,using it or year first becoming aware of it.

Strangest one for me was whilst watching a touring exotic review show in York a cast member gave me the Leeds Salute halfway through the show in recognition of my Leeds Smiley t-shirt I had on.
    Happens a lot now on the beach over here to - which is great.

http://forum.thesquareball.net/viewt...=1792&start=20
    Not sure anyone really knows when it started but some people believe the 1950s - suspect a Moscow White May know if anyone.

My favourite Leeds salute moment (bearing in mind I live down south now) was when my eldest was at a new school aged about 8 and the headmaster was a Leeds fan and knew my sone was. Walking though one of the corridors at school he gave my son a salute and winked at him which made his day. Best of all none of the other kids knew what was going on,

When I started going to ER regularly in the early 60's there was a form of the Leeds Salute but it was usually done with the left arm and usually just done at the matches whenever the Leeds Leeds Leeds chant went on.

I was told that the reason for the left arm was the fact that doing it with the right arm was a bit close to the Nazi salute. It seems this came in either during the war or not long after and emotions were still raw and no one wanted to do anything that may have remotely been associated with Germany.

The Salute has morphed over the years into the one we all recognise now.

Moscow White Dan will be chilling out seeking inspiration watching the river boats go by in Ross on Wye pondering his next words of wisdom no doubts.

The Salutes been ongoing for sure since 1965 as my Uncle recalled the clenched fist in the air with the Leeds,Leeds,Leeds chant particularly at away matches back then.Dad and Mum know it as the Leeds,Leeds,Leeds chant as well in the 1970's albeit also being hijacked and used by far right nutters attached to our club mid -1970's & 80's.

For my age group since the late 90's it's always been a right hand thump to the heart and the straight arm no higher than your chin as some police forces could get nasty confronted with our fans if doing the naughty high arm German salute especially in Europe with O'Leary.

Must be a nightmare for Bielsa walking down St James Street in Wetherby during the school holidays giving the Leeds Salute to all the kids passing by in Wetherby for sure.

Agree with Wortley it was left handed in the early days

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)